Hondo's Bar

Gran Torino

2968374208_5e769947a6.jpg?v=0

Saw this one yesterday. It should be no surprise to anyone, Clint Eastwood is just about the safest bet in Hollywood for great cinema. The actor playing Tao is fine in all but a few scenes. Overall, I walked away thinking 1) Michigan is a shitty place to live, and 2) more than ever, Clint Eastwood would be ideal for the Saint of Killers.

2968374208_5e769947a6.jpg?v=0

Saw this one yesterday. It should be no surprise to anyone, Clint Eastwood is just about the safest bet in Hollywood for great cinema. The actor playing Tao is fine in all but a few scenes. Overall, I walked away thinking 1) Michigan is a shitty place to live, and 2) more than ever, Clint Eastwood would be ideal for the Saint of Killers.

That last line of your post made me almost weep. You're right, he'd be perfect for that role; too bad it'll never happen.

As for the film: out-fucking-standing!

Clint Eastwood delivers another memorable screen character as Korean War Vet Walt Kowalski—a man who lets out more politically incorrect humor on his own than Black, Stiller, & Downey combined did in Tropic Thunder. You can definitely compare this to Eastwood's other Oscar winning low budget film about a faithless man mentoring a misfit--Million Dollar Baby. However, I found Gran Torino reminded me of a more somber and violent version of Karate Kid—characters from American & Asian cultures (here the other being Mhong) learn important lessons on life they couldn’t or wouldn’t learn from their own culture.

If you're a dude, see this film w/ your dad or granddad or both.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this movie this past weekend, and I LOVED it! Clint Eastwood still has it left in him! I so hope he decides to do another Western, or even one more Dirty Harry sequel!

I was discussing with a friend the other day that it wouldn't take much changing around and you could've made this movie out as a western! here's what we came up with:

--Instead of a present-day house, it's a ranch house

--The name of the movie could be a town instead of a car, because let's face it, other than the Hmong kid trying to steal the car, the actual Gran Torino doesn't really have a major significance in the movie, besides the name of it.

--Instead of Hmong people, it could be Chinese railroad workers, or even Indians.

--The kid instead of stealing a car, the kid could try to steal a good horse.

--The gang members could be horse thieves or cattle rustlers.

--Instead of "Get off my lawn!" it would be "Get off my land!"

• 3 months later...

Clint's singing in the credits notwithstanding, this was indeed great. Glad i finally got around to seeing it - parts were predictable, but just when i thought itd stay that way, it proved me wrong.

also? Ahney Her is kinda hot, but that might just be me.

grantorinopic5.jpg

grantorinopremiere8.jpg

Clint's singing in the credits notwithstanding, this was indeed great. Glad i finally got around to seeing it - parts were predictable, but just when i thought itd stay that way, it proved me wrong.

also? Ahney Her is kinda hot, but that might just be me.

grantorinopic5.jpg

grantorinopremiere8.jpg

It's not just you. And she's a better actor than people give her credit, I just don't think she speaks English very often.

Archived