Hondo's Bar

Xbox 360 + Spray Paint - A recently completed project

spiffytee

ok... so i decided to keep this faceplate that i got and thought it may be a good idea to start a little project, cause a colored faceplate would look tacky on white. furthermore, my "white" box was looking beat up. so i decided to go to my local walmart and get some spray paint. After 2 days and a bit of work, sandpaper and coating over and over, here is what i have. glad it's been slow at work, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to do this.. :D granted it's not totally matched, it is better than when it was white, methinks. the hardest part was taking off the case, which i have done like a kagillion times. (heat modifications)

I used krylon fusion gloss for plastics and 320 grit sandpaper.

p1010003wr7.jpg

w480.png

p1010005pp7.jpg

w480.png

p1010006qe5.jpg

w480.png

p1010007vv6.jpg

w480.png

say hi to siesta, my brown tabby! so, what do yall think? Under normal circumstances, the blue does match, you gotta get close to see the mismatch in color.

Looks like you made something unique and visually cool.

You need better lighting in the pics if you want us to judge the color match, though.

Dude, I am soooo completely unsurprised that this is a Spiffytee project. It's classic Timmy.

I'm actually thinking that if the color match couldn't be done 100% it might have been better to paint the rest of the box in a complementary color, like say a dark red, to go with the faceplate?

Oh well, it look good either way.

I've seen the two tone done before and it is tricky not to be tacky. But if you are good with colors, you can have them compliment each other. Like say you have a sports team or theme you're going for. Most of the custom boxes i've seen have the same color faceplate as the side plates.

thanks for the comment jumbie, when i took a picture with the flash, it was really bad with the colors. The first picture shows the mismatch the most i think.

anyone thinking to paint anything, make sure you sand it before and after coats of paint. it looks really crappy after you sand the new paint, but it makes the next layer really smooth. just keep repeating the process and try to do it in a dust free environment

seeing it up close, its top-notch work. his only beef is (you cant tell from the pics as much) the faceplate's a shade or two lighter than the finish on the case itself. its about as close as i think you can reasonably get, looked to me like something youd pay to have done. tight work, timbo.

• 10 months later...

ok, it's time to work on a new project because i have a carbon fiber faceplate design. i'm thinking all black.

anyways, i have now a hdmi version that is doing my :cry: duties. so good ol trusty blue is gonna have to go, collecting dust now. hit me up if you're interested. mabye work in a few games to the deal. and a big NO on the banned issue. it never touches live.

150 for the console itself... for all you that have a 360 already, it's perfect. (ur power brick has to have the metal casing rather than the plastic one or you can check the wattage: must be 203 if i remember correctly)

If you want to go all out 200 will get you the starter pack: a nifty blue wireless controller with 2 battery packs/wall charger, 1 game (of what i have), ac adapter, hd cables, free firmware updates/dusting for life and a pat on the back.

It has a hitachi drive in it, so you shouldn't have to worry about wave 4. don't play it horizontally and be smart, don't use live. You can use the box to gain achievements or make game saves that are compatible with other boxes and install to hdrives, a benefit of not being banned. if you don't believe me, you can check out xbox scene's forums to verify this.

Archived