Hondo's Bar

Doom's Master/ The Hooded Man

Jables

Doom's Master/The Hooded Man  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its true. i was offline for a few weeks and shit piled up. i keep meaning to post more impressions, but honestly? now that back to brooklyn and ultimate wolvy/hulk are over, im still reading 46 books a month, as of this month. and still trying to finish older series like blade of the immortal, so i kinda sit down for hours and blaze through shit, trying to remember where each book was so they dont bleed over in my head, and i just only show up here to hype the ones that're good enough, im thinking of buying the trades & keeping em.

Holy motherfuck this thread got o/t.

FF 567 is the second part of the proper 'Doom's Masters' arc and I gotta say it's already looking like a fizzler. I have the Wizard interview at home where he states that 1985, OML & FF were all tied in together by Doom's mentor(the aptly named Marquis of Death), but with 1985 long gone in the can and pretty unpopular itself, fucking inexplicable delays with Wolverine then causing shitty fucking filler issues in FF like the Scotland arc, it's all gone to shit & I worry OML will be Millar's last good story before he revamps the Authority with fishnets & kidnapping, and the Engineer is a man-hating prostitute/ Deborah Harry in Spun.

I haven't read issue 567 yet, but I'll post my thoughts on it when I do. I'm inclined to agree w/ you that it'll end more w/ a fizzle than a bang. The Scotland Arc wasn't that bad. It worked as a standalone FF tale an had some great action and interesting character development w/ the Fantasti-kids.

I would talk about it if someone could tell me what issue numbers (or better yet send me a torrent link) of this series.

According to angry Jza, the Doom's Master story is supposed to somehow thread together his six issue mini series 1985, Old Man Logan (Wolverine v3 issues 66-72), and his current run on Fantastic 4 (issues 554-570) which is currently on issue #567. You can do the torrent search on yer own ya jabroni.

All I meant was, READ ff #567 RIGHT NOW AND POST YOUR THOUGHTS, FUCKFACE!!!!

Sorry for the miscommunication. :sad:

Oh, if that's what yer after then you should really go here.

I don't think jabroni is Italian in origin. I thought jabroni was a wrestling term for a loser or someone lazy/worthless. That's the context I meant it b/c you're acting like one. And also b/c it's a funny fucking word.

And trust me, if I was Ralph Machio my screen name would be "I'm Ralph F#*king Machio, Bitches!"

Fuhgedaboudit!

The word of absinthe drinkers must never be trusted.

Seriously, if you keep it up all of your friends will be required by law to wear an "I'm With Jabroni -->" T-shirt whenever they hang with you. And of course they'll have to always be to your immediate right. Sucks I know, but the law, yep, she's a bitch like dat.

I'm pretty sure that t-shirt would come with a free douchebag liscence and even Twilight nerds would be making fun of anybody wearing one.

Seriously, do you just have a random made up word of the day calender, what's next are you going to call me a Hefalump?

I haven't read issue 567 yet, but I'll post my thoughts on it when I do. I'm inclined to agree w/ you that it'll end more w/ a fizzle than a bang. The Scotland Arc wasn't that bad. It worked as a standalone FF tale an had some great action and interesting character development w/ the Fantasti-kids.

Sure, as a standalone it was slightly more dynamic than whatever alpha-nerd-family crap is going on with the FF when Millar's not writing it, but when Millar's promising a story about Doom's master? I don't want any kind of bullshit stalling.

Regarding 1985- Millar originally stated that 1985 would serve as an 'origin' for Doom's Master, and seeing how that series turned out I hope that plan's been scrapped. I hate 4th wall breaking at the best of times, let alone in Marvel comics. Although David did an okay job of it in the end of Captain Marvel.

I still haven't read 1985 yet, but I did read FF #567: excellent issue! The sequence where Doom

defeated the Marquis and only Reed Richards died was a great insight into Doom's character, how he's at heart the bully on the outside who wants to be part of the "cool kids" table. It didn't surprise me that it was a "dream sequence,"

but it was still entertaining enough that I didn't feel cheated as a reader.

Hence my opinion that it's dook, and my hope that said dook doesn't touch OML or FF. I mean really, how stupid would it be, the Marquis of Death beats the shit out of everyone & everything in the Marvel Universe, Richards feebly raises his head and asks 'why?', to which Doom's mentor replies 'I'm a down's syndrome fanboy from an alternate reality where you're all comicbook characters, and when I realised I could shift you between realities I decided that as a non-fuctioning vegetable I could contribute more by mentoring Dr Doom in absolute evil & world domination.'

if it pleases my lady, i read FF # 567 and would like to talk about it.

Whoah, whoah - look, the sooner you get the idea that 1985 is in any way strongly connected to this, the better. yeah, it wrecked the 4th wall like deadpool wishes he could, and wasnt overly memorable, but in & of itself, i didnt hate myself for reading it like i did, say, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and since OML is the crown jewel of Millar's non-Kick-Ass books right now, let's leave that out, too.

# 567 -

i see skee'ts bitching about Doom & Sue, Hakujin has a point but there's different takes on Doom is the thing. In classic Byrne FF, he's killing his child manservant for questioning him; in Waid's run, he's wearing the fucking flesh of a loved one to wield the power to send the FF to hell.

move over to the 9-11 book, and Doom's weeping at America's loss. Here, Doom dreams of knocking up Sue and living as Reed, whislt pulling some Lex Luthor shit and curing all the world's problems - meaning, he can do so now, he's just petty and stupid enough to not bring all that glory to Latveria for whatever reason. it was a fun sequence, but it throws me off, too.

that said - i dont see it as JLA obsidian shit either; one of Doom's fun stories in the day was being cast into the middle ages with Iron Man. seeing Doom persevere and find a way back...i dunno, itll likely be rushed but it could be like a darker Planet Hulk or something. im not writing it off just yet, nor am i discoutning the Marquis & his assistant until i see how far theyre willing to push the envelope in taking down the FF. if we get anywhere near "i took your kids to hell to be tortured by demos" territory, again like Mark Waid did, ima be happy with this arc.

• 3 weeks later...

so yeah, a lot of people were wrong on this poll, turns out.

Hinting at OML as a forthcoming inevitabilty was fun, but to be honest, though i enjoyed the early bits of 1985, id rushed through the ending and it wasnt overly memorable for me, so i had to wiki the dude's name again - so the first mutant from another earth got retarded and then was awoken, in the future with OML villains, and uh, travelled realities killing shit to come back as the marquis of death? do i have this right?

i havent had a dark villain in FF since waid's run on the book years back with Doom sending the 4 to hell while wearing an armor made of the flesh of a loved one, which was awesome. so im willing to go for the ride with this crazy tie-in that skeet was on about a while back, but my concern is...the caliber of darkness Millar's going for here first a book like Berserk, where demons can rape your loved ones to death twice on a tuesday. This guy introduced himself by sending Doom back and wiping out Latveria - im not a stickler for continuity, but please dont tell the asgardians this is going on - and right now he's threatening to torture the world to death if Reed wont decide who its ok to kill, even uh, the villain himself in the past. Reed's pretty much begging to see this dude do something.

you know itll all be undone later, but if its nearly as dark as Doom taking reed's family to hell to be tortured until reed could admit how awesome he was (hint: he never did, which made the story that much better...."demons can have their way with my family, but im not gonna give you the thumbs up, sir!"), ill be happy. i just hope Millar doesnt paint himself into the standard anticlimatic croner.

Archived