Hondo's Bar

Required reading

The NZA

Ok, so which books do each of us think are essential comics, those that every fan should/must read?  

Ill start with (presumably) the givens:

-Watchmen: Alan Moore & Dave Gibbon's legendary tale of what a Justice League would be like in real society, and who would watch them...?

-Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Come see Frank Miller all but usher in the modern, darker age of comics.  Dialogue that's still being ripped off with a flawed character who's never been 3 dimensional like this.

Others often include Kingdom Come, Maus, etc.  Many still include Gaiman's Sandman, while I of course cant recommend Preacher highly enough (modern day western on a man's search for god).  

So, if you could hype one book for someone, what'd it be & why? Which writers do you think should be followed around more after their opus - such as Frank Miller, who's been generally strong even now, years after DKR.  

Chapter%202.jpg                           Watchmen%20logo.gif  

Poster.jpg

My reccomendation would be Kingdom Come.  It shows that even the worst superheroes can be in a great story if written well.  The only problem with it is that it would give the person bad expectations for the other comics.  They'd go and pick up a regular superman issue expecting the same greatness and be dissapointed.

I thought Kingdom Come's story had a few flaws to it, but I'd recommend it just for the art alone. Aside from that, DKR, and The Preacher series, the only other comic that makes my book shelf are some Daredevils. Most notably, Frank Miller and Kevin Smith's runs. (Used to be a big Miller fan, but who else here hated The Dark Knight Strikes Again?)

Got a post on Dark Knight Strikes Again way back in this forum, ill post there after seein book 3 if/when it shows up; dont wanna judge it till its done.

So far, tho....1 was slow, but i think i was the only one who really liked # 2.  Again, full review when its wrapped up.

Yeah, whatever happened to that third book? The first two came out really fast, and then it all seemed to just disappear. I thought #1 was clever, actually (though I hate most of the art, and it looks like Lynn Varley just wanted to play around with Photoshop as much as possible with the coloring) but I hated the second one. For many many reasons. But I, too, am holding out my final judgement until it's finished (hell, I bought the first two, I'm not gonna stop, now). But where the hell is the third book?

Supposed to be out sometime this month, local comic vendor tells me Miller wasnt done with the script, which is odd...why take 15 years, and then start somethin you havent finished yet?  Ill let ya know soon as i know an exact date tho, its a few months late by now.

On the topic of Miller, i think more of his stuff is somewhat essentail: havent finished Hard Boiled yet, but it looked great.  His others, tho - Sin City, 300, Marth Washingtion goes to War, etc are great tho.  Wasnt a big fan of Ronin, tho, to be honest.

Anyone read Moore's V for Vandetta? Ive heard that one mentioned as important a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not quite required, but I'm rather enjoying Krueger & Alex Ross' Earth X seires...the trilogy has gone from that to Universe X to its current form, Paradise X, and its gotten quite interestin if youre into the Marvel mythology.  Not as powerful as Kingdom Come, but very interestin nonetheless, has similarities in its idea of a future Marvel facing its end, etc.  I'll post more on it when the series finally ends, a bit down the road.

Anyone know any more about Moore's Vendetta?