Hondo's Bar

Mini-Movie Reviews

Films on DVD/BR:

51Zq4bOC2YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Book of Eli

C

If you’re not a fan of post-apocalyptic films or Christianity (more so the latter) then you can pretty much skip this film. The Hughes Bros. create a stylized post-apocalyptic Westernesque landscape and scenario that is similar in many ways to Cormac McCarthy’s novel The Road. Unfortunately for Book of Eli, the only thing it didn’t crib from McCarthy’s novel was the exceptional writing.

41DoH+AWKEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apocalypto [blu-Ray]

A-

Mel Gibson the man may be a class ‘A’ pinhead, but Gibson the director has managed to create a beautifully shot and unique action film experience. Gibson uses the twilight of the Mayan civilization as an allegory to showcase both the towering heights and dark depths humanity is capable of reaching.

51-aIb1-73L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wolfman [unrated]

C+

I never saw the original Wolfman film, and perhaps I’d have more appreciation for the tedious and predictable plot of this remake if I had. Benecio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins deliver surprisingly hollow performances, but there are two or three pretty spectacular sequences where the Wolfman transforms and goes primal that make this otherwise forgettable film worthy of a hardcore horror fan’s time.

51V0ZMBPPRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wings of Desire

B+

For all the praise this 1987 German film about angles in Berlin received in its day, it left me a little disappointed. You have to wait around for an hour or so for any semblance of a plot to emerge, but some of the random, rambling monologues on humanity and pre-unification/Cold War Berlin are fascinating--some are just random and rambling. The DVD extras are what saved the experience for me. The interviews with the director and cast were revealing and helped me gain more appreciation for the film and the influence it’s had on cinema since its release over 20 years ago. This film was later re-made into the romantic drama City of Angels, and this film has that element of a romantic-drama, but it begs so much more of the viewer than its Hollywood offspring. Wings of Desire is a rambling (sometimes frustratingly so) love story for pre-unification Berlin, and also, in a sense, for all humanity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while, so this is by no means everything I've seen since my last review post. Hopefully it's enough for you to chow down on for now though.

In theaters now:

11151834_det.jpg

Catfish

A-

This is a sweet and enjoyable documentary on how modern day romance blooms and grows via facebook for the first two-thirds of the film, and then it becomes a haunting and engaging character study for the final third. I won't spoil the final act for you here, but this film will definitely have you talking afterward about the thin line that separates delusion from reality and insanity from desperation.

11152124_det.gif

The Social Network

A-

When writer Aaron Sorkin and director David Fincher team up to make a film about the creation of the world's most popular social network (*derp*facebook*derp*), I'm pretty much sold on that alone. However, the performances and gut wrenching irony of the story behind how Mark Zuckerberg's Internet empire was created in the "mean streets" of Harvard (where pretension and douche-baggery are as common among the students as brilliance and creativity) only make this filmgoing experience that much more layered and enjoyable.

11151740_det.jpg

The Town

B

Ben Affleck is turning into a fairly damned good director. This is a solid caper/heist film set in an area of Boston that's legitimately known for breeding the most bank robbers per square mile in the US. The plot and characters are not anything new to any genre fan yet that still doesn't detract from the film as a whole being an entertaining experience and worthy addition to the genre itself.

11152880_det.jpg

Let Me In

C

Here's what I wrote last year about Let The Right One In, the Swedish film this American remake is based on:

If Terrance Mallick was Swedish and decided to make a vampire/suspense movie starring two tweens it might've come out like this film. It's quiet and slow paced yet never tedious. The cinematography & directing are both beautiful and unsettling, and the performances by the two child leads are compelling throughout.

Yeah, this American remake, not so much. The film is slow paced but often tedious and lacks any true suspense. And while the actors in the American remake are adequate, they're far from compelling. Do yourself a favor and rent the Swedish original.

2736720_det.jpg

Deep Sea 3-D [iMAX]

A

This documentary narrated by Johhny Depp & Kate Winslet clocks in at just under an hour, but it's one of the most intense hours I've ever experienced in a theater. The doc follows life on the ocean floor and is a non-stop assault of color and movement. The film is breathtaking and illuminating, a truly unique theater going experience.

On DVD or on it's way to DVD:

11151506_det.jpg

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

A

This is a movie custom-made for males (or incredibly hard to find yet epic in their awesomeness females) ages 18-40. It's got superhero action, witty dialogue, video game references galore, wicked rock tunes by Beck, snarky characters to hate, awesome characters to cheer, and kung-fu. Oh, and it's also got a heartfelt plot and romance for the ladies that don't like all that other stuff. How this film got buried in the summer shuffle I'll never know, but hopefully it'll get the respect and adulation it deserves on DVD.

10927520_det.jpg

SALT

B-

This is a Bourne-lite spy thriller the whole way through. The action is passable but neither really suspenseful nor spectacular, and the plot is holier than a bullet-riddled block of Swiss cheese. Angelina Jolie is the hotness throughout though, so that picks up for a bit of the slack. Worth a look if there's nothing else to rent.

11134470_det.jpg

The Expendables

C+

Even allowing for the fact this is supposed to be a throwback to the "good ole days" of 1980s 'splosion festooned action films, this film's plot comes off as horrid. Although the action scenes are fairly cool, but unfortunately not as cool as any of those 80s films it tried to model itself after.

11134348_det.jpg

The A-Team

A-

By far one of the most enjoyable action films I've seen in a long time. Fans of the 1980s TV show will remember the short voice-over at the beginning of each episode explaining how these former soldiers became mercenaries known as The A-Team. Well, this movie is that story, and it's a hilarious one filled with one hyperbolic action scene after another. They also cram in some nice character arcs without coming off too corny. The bottom line is: if you like action films then you'll like this movie. If you liked the 80s TV show, you'll love this movie. And if you loved the 80s TV show then this film will likely be for you an experience so awesome that it may make your head explode--or pee yourself a little.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

nice - intrigued @ catfish, mildly curious about social networking one. i'm always down for more Bourne stuff, but i dunno if Jolie's gonna carry that for me...Let Me In though, your boy baytor liked that version better, i might be mistaken but i wanna say MH did too. CONTROVERSY.

Production values, side characters that seemed more important, The Hakken (I've no clue what Richard Jenkins' character's name was) Killings were done with much more style and flair, and the 80s FM soundtrack and the atmosphere as well as the sets made it actually feel like the 80s whereas I know the Swedish version was set in the 80s because somebody said "Hey, it's set in the 80s."

It's more polished, less dodgy CG, and good acting on all points. There's very little the new one has that the old one didn't and while a few key shots are taken from different perspectives. (The pool scene I preferred in the US version because I prefer being able to actually see what's going on and because the arm wouldn't hold him under like it did in the Swedish version) Any scenes that were cut (the cats) don't really feel that important to me and it was just good. Reduntant, definitely. But good.

• 2 weeks later...

Production values, side characters that seemed more important, The Hakken (I've no clue what Richard Jenkins' character's name was) Killings were done with much more style and flair, and the 80s FM soundtrack and the atmosphere as well as the sets made it actually feel like the 80s whereas I know the Swedish version was set in the 80s because somebody said "Hey, it's set in the 80s."

It's more polished, less dodgy CG, and good acting on all points. There's very little the new one has that the old one didn't and while a few key shots are taken from different perspectives. (The pool scene I preferred in the US version because I prefer being able to actually see what's going on and because the arm wouldn't hold him under like it did in the Swedish version) Any scenes that were cut (the cats) don't really feel that important to me and it was just good. Reduntant, definitely. But good.

Agreed on the point that the vampire killings made more sense in the American version--making them all apt. complex occupants. However, I don't think the killings themselves were done with anymore flair or style. The direction in the US version was awful, and he robbed entire scenes of any suspense. The sheriff was a totally one dimensional character but he ate up gobs of screen time. And the child actors were MUCH more engaging in the Swedish version.

Also the US version obviously didn't have that brief yet critical scene where we learn

there's more than a vampire going on there.

I saw the US version with my gf, whom never saw the Swedish version, and she was bored for most of the film. Usually I wouldn't quote box office receipts to prove a point, but the original had such a cult following and for the US version to do so poorly you know word of mouth spread this film was a dud.

• 2 weeks later...

red_smallteaser.jpg

RED

B-

Loosely based on a DC comic by writer Warren Ellis, this comedy/action film about retired CIA agents still kicking ass is pretty damned entertaining despite the plot logic being a bit wonky there at the end. Bruce Willis stars, but Helen Mirren and John Malkovich steal the film.

137_megamind_final.jpg:howyoudoin:

A-

Dreamworks is batting 1,000 when it comes to making outstanding 3D animated films. Aliens vs Monsters took on the sc-fi genre, How to Train Your Dragon tackled fantasy, and their latest film, Megamind, is a spin on the superhero genre. Will Ferrell offers his pompously goofy voice to what is likely the world's most likeable supervillain. The film has practically everything you'd want in an animated family feature film—humor, heart, and action. Plus it has a pretty great lesson about acceptance and tolerance. I definitely recommend you catch this one in 3D theaters.

Super-Mini DVD reviews:

Here are a bunch of films on DVD or coming soon to DVD that I was really too lazy to write reviews for.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

B+

Following

B

Get Him to the Greek

C+

Ghost Writer

B+

Grown Ups

D+

Inception

A

Knight & Day

B+

The Last Airbender

C-

The Other Guys

B+

Paprika

A

Predators

B

The Proposal

C

The Road

C+

Robin Hood

B-

The September Issue

C+

Toy Story 3

A

Yeah, I definitely went easy on Airbender b/c as a fan of the series there were some really cool shots and very brief moments captured on film that made it bearable. Then there was all the rest. :sad:

The Road was a bleak book, but it had heart to it and a hope in the relationship between the father and boy that was lost in the film translation, which I thought was just plain bleak.

• 1 month later...

41f5dOxhrRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black Swan

B+

We all know someone who saw The Sixth Sense and immediately after the film ended said, "I knew all along he was dead!"—you know, "that guy." Well, I hate to be "that guy," but I saw the twist ending coming a mile away in this film. That confessional tidbit aside, this is still the best film about ballet that I've ever seen. It's also the only film about ballet I've ever seen aside from Billy Elliot. Remember Billy Elliot? Yeah, me neither. However, it'll be a long time before you forget Mila Kunis' and Natalie Portman's performances in this film.

51xcDVZeZML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tron: Legacy [imax 3D]

B+

I only saw the original TRON a few days before this sequel, so I had none of the rose-tinted nostalgia of a TRON fan going in to this film. I went in purely as a sci-fi enthusiast expecting a solid two hours of geektasticness. And, for the most part, I was not disappointed. The CGI younger version of Jeff Bridges is OK, but flawed—much like the plot to the film. I won't bother going into the numerous "WTF?" moments w/ the logic of "The Grid" universe where all the cool action takes place. However, I will say that cool costumes, vehicles, and fight sequences are abound in TRON: Legacy. Go in expecting no more that and you won't be disappointed.

515ED%2BCabJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

True Grit [2010]

A-

George Portis wrote a western novel called True Grit and John Wayne starred in the 1969 film version as morally questionable US Marshal Rueben "Rooster" Cogburn. Some people might say calling the 1969 version a "classic of the genre" is hyperbole—and those people would be asshats. So, it is no small compliment when I say the Coen Brothers have neither done the novel nor Wayne's film a disservice with their 2010 re-make. The Coen's version is slightly darker, and the violence more graphic, than Wayne's version. The Coen's take a more naturalistic approach to Portis' tale, while Wayne's version was more "Hollywood" in many ways—especially with the ending. And it is with the ending that I have my greatest complaint—it just kind of lays there with a thud. However, everything else from the dialogue to the performances is just about perfect. I could also nit-pick a bit about the pacing, but I won't. I enjoyed the rest of the film too much to bother you with those trifles. I highly recommend seeing this one on the big screen.

On DVD:

51sASNvKFcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bronson

B-

Bleak, bloody, and based on the true story of Britain's "most violent prisoner." I'd never heard of this guy before the film. He has a fascinating psychosis. I'd have liked it if the film would've gone into a bit more about how exactly this guy can be pronounced "sane" by the British government, but I'm pretty sure the director was going for the ol'--"there are no answers here, only observations" take on the man.

51WyE8lxz1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Despicable Me

B-

I'll take Mega-Mind over this any day. This had some funny bits, but it was overly saccharine and pandering—even for a children's movie.

51c7KwT4TxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Proposition

C+

If you like your westerns bleak and bloody then this is a film for you. I won't spoil the titular proposition in question (as the plot device is one of the most original things about the film), but it involves a desperate lawman in Australia turning to criminals for help in bringing a mass murderer to justice. The film loses points with me for its overly languid pace and reliance on one too many clichés of the genre. I also found the film's message that civilization is a smokescreen and its notion that we're all killers one way or another (either through action or inaction) to have been played out a bit heavy-handedly and with less eloquence than No Country for Old Men, which shares similar themes.

41PQ1Q38NCL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Tron

C+

If you've never seen this one before you don't really need to watch it to enjoy the sequel, TRON: Legacy. However, you can earn geek cred by suffering sitting through this one.

Of course the end of Black Swan was predictable. They're tellin the story of Swan Lake. It's even foreshadowed many times through out the film. It's the build up that gets ya. I think the film was nearly flawless. And someone somewhere (I think it was you and if I'm wrong, I'm sorry) said that the characters are one dimensional? No way! All the characters transform into something different by the end of the movie. One, literally! Love ya, Chris, but you're too harsh on flicks that are good and too nice to movies that deserve death.

What collection are you referring to cause you're always giving me DVDs I don't and would never own. Resident Evil: Apocalypse? Really? I'm sure that in one of my many zombie threads you'll find that I hate that movie with a passion. I also remember you giving me shit for owning Elektra. More than once! I walked out of the theater when I went to see that. Why would I ever buy that on DVD? Yes, I'm forgiving to movies, but I don't like everything. At least I don't play Ebert & Roper for every movie that comes out like I'm getting paid to. Movies don't have to be the way you would of made it. As for Spidey 3... I'm sorry.

As for Spidey 3... I'm sorry.

well, that only took 3 and a half years... :2T:

you had one of the bad/non-first-movie Resident Evils; i dont recall which cause you were super anal about lending them out. I was so sure you had Elektra cause you have like every modern Marvel flick, even the awful ones like Ang Lee's hulk (didnt you have ghost rider, too?. at its pique, your collection was pretty crazy.

you're right, cause i know i wanted to borrow a couple of movies that supposedly weren't so great, and you didn't let me. i had like 2 forms of gov't ID and still got shot down, shit was meaner than a homestead blockbuster in the day.

point being: you've owned/backed admittedly shitty films in the past, maybe you shouldn't bust haku's balls for having a different opinion...?

Bronson higher than The Proposition?

I bit thee good day.

You just hate b/c that dude has facial hair that's way more pimpin' than yorn be. :2T:

you're right, cause i know i wanted to borrow a couple of movies that supposedly weren't so great, and you didn't let me. i had like 2 forms of gov't ID and still got shot down, shit was meaner than a homestead blockbuster in the day.

point being: you've owned/backed admittedly shitty films in the past, maybe you shouldn't bust haku's balls for having a different opinion...?

cylon-SoSayWeAll.gif

And not to pile on Panchy here, but about six of us went to see Airbender this summer and Panch was the only one coming out of the theater smiling and actually GLAD he'd spent his time and money sitting through that trainwreck.

Anyway, as for Black Swan, yeah I wrote somewhere that the characters all seemed one dimensional. In a movie about hot, lez ballerinas, something is wrong when the most interesting character is the pretentious French director. A complete description of every character in the film in one sentence or less:

Wynona Ryder: Former ballet star on her way out.

Natalie Portman: Perfectionist ingenue eagerly taking her spot

Mila Kunis: Slutty new girl that wants Portman's spot

Barbra Hershey: Overbearing stage mom

Vincent Cassel: Ballet director looking to reinvent a classic and get laid.

Tom & Jerry: Plot devices

Everyone else in the film: not important!

FIN

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

i got this one dude at work who i wish could meet jax, just to make his brains asplode: "bro, ive seen the avatar cartoons and they're good, its just that the movie was really well done..." we had a meeting that cut off where i think this was going, which might've actually saved the universe from folding in on itself by having actually manifested one person who preferred the movie to the series.