Hondo's Bar

Mini-Movie Reviews

41IKKO-yKAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Fighter

A-

This film is directed by David O. Russell in a gritty documentary style and is based on the true story of Micky Ward and his half-brother Dick Eklund. Both brothers were boxers, but their lives and careers were drastically different. This film is a wonderful drama about boxing, the dynamics of Ward’s family, and redemption. Both Ward and Eklund are fighters, but it is Eklund, who is played in an Oscar worthy performance by Christian Bale, that makes the greatest transformations in the film. I’ll admit this film has a story we’ve all seen before (the underdog triumphs despite the odds); however, thanks to the outstanding performances and direction, I was never once bothered by that fact because I was too busy riding along with the characters on their emotional highs and lows on the roller coaster that is their lives.

• 5 weeks later...

51vXSVIZDUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Green Hornet

B

Similar in tone to Jim Carrey’s underrated The Mask, this film delivered exactly what I expected of a superhero film from the crew that brought us Pineapple Express. And that isn’t a slam. The basic premise is what would happen if Batman and Robin where the same age and Robin was the one with all the talent. It’s a superhero comedy that tries to ground itself in reality while simultaneously winking at the franchises radio, comic book, and campy TV history.

51aRNhzS4dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Season of the Witch

C+

This is a solid “B” movie effort that makes me think someone saw Sam Raimi’s Army of Darkness and tried to make a “serious” film out of it. However, this film gets a big pass from me in spite of its unevenness. Even though the dialogue is sometimes painfully lame, it’s lame in the “so bad it’s good” kind of way. And even though Nicolas Cage is sleepwalking through his performance, genre-fan-fave Ron Perlman is there to lend an air of legitimate badassery and the supporting cast is actually quite good. And despite the nonsensical plot, the film is paced beautifully in its action sequences so you don’t really mind—you just tune out your mind and go along for the ride.

51eJ39nx-fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Exit Through The Gift Shop

A

This is an amazing story about the street art (graffiti) movement going mainstream and the Frenchman who was there to not only capture this art movement, but also destined to shape it (for better or worse). A classic case of truth being stranger than fiction.

• 1 month later...

51qbg0thJEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

127 Hours

B+

Director Danny Boyle manages to make the true story of a man trapped by a rock in an isolated area of Utah seem kinetic and visceral. But this isn't a movie just about "the arm," it's about a man's realization of his faults, being able to overcome those faults, and surviving the ordeal to become a better man for it.

61ItAcnFQqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tales From the Script

B+

Screenwriters at various levels of success (from legendary to straight to DVD) discuss the reality of writing and working as a screenwriter in Hollywood. A fascinating watch for anyone interested in writing or filmmaking in general.

51E017BelfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

B

A year in the life of the hardest working woman in show-biz. It's both disheartening and inspiring all at once. It's also pretty fucking funny.

51nV7hb4H4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Invention of Lying

C-

A disappointingly disjointed comedy from comedian Ricky Gervais about a world in which no one lies. Except for Gervais. The premise and overall message is good, but the execution is handled rather poorly. The film extols virtues of personality over physique in an overt and sometimes monotonously unfunny way, and it also takes an odd detour into the pitfalls of religion. Gervais has a great supporting cast in Jonah Hill, Louis CK, Tina Fey, and Jeffery Tambor whom all are terribly wasted.

519HUN4odUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Skyline

C-

An alien invasion film that doesn't get really interesting or remotely original until the last 10 minutes. The alien designs are rather forgettable and the characters that populate the film are unlikeable and barely watchable. However, if you like seeing people getting killed by aliens then this might be worth your time, otherwise it's an easy pass.

• 2 weeks later...

51VihzJLL3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Adjustment Bureau

B-

Based on a short story by Philip K. Dick, this isn't at all the Bourne-esque action-thriller the trailers led me to believe it would be. I don't feel like I can say much w/out spoiling the plot and some interesting reveals; so, on that note, I'll just say it's a story about faith and faith in love and one's own right to choose how to experience love. The performances were adequate, the concept intriguing, but I never really connected emotionally with the characters as people. The ending was gratifying yet fairly predictable, and I left the theater feeling like I saw an OK film that had missed opportunities to be a great film.

513YQp06JJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The King's Speech

A-

There's nothing I can't tell you about this film that its slew of Oscar™ nominations and wins cannot. It's nearly flawless with its capable direction, outstanding performances, archetypal characters, and classic "hero overcomes obstacles" plot. Of course it's all amplified because it's based on real people and real events.

51KFxXNHOsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cyrus

B

An warm and funny indie comedy with a great cast that makes up for some of the shortcomings in the script. John C. Reilly is vulnerable and charming as a divorcee struggling to get on with his love life, Jonah Hill is hilariously creepy as the titular Cyrus, and Marisa Tomei is heartfelt and yearning as his single mom. All three are connected by loneliness and fear yet each reacts to those feelings in different ways. Recommended rental.

51AnFsrWbaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Youth In Revolt

A-

Based upon the novels by CD Payne, this film has a typical "young man out to lose his virginity" plot that so many teen comedies do. However, it's not a comedy for teens; it's for adults who like comedies, and it happens to be about teens. This film sets itself apart from typical teen-fare with its sharp dialogue and quirky characters. Michael Cera stars and brings his usual nerdy charm to the role yet this time his character has an underlying passionate, smooth talking badassness that shines through in a way that separates him from other similar roles. Some may be quick to pass this off as a "hipster" comedy, but they'd be missing the mark—there's no irony in Cera's protagonist. He's all heart and, much like this film, hilarious to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

51LIwMZB2pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Battle Los Angeles

C

This film reminded me of the Transformers films in that the battle sequences were franticly cut, oddly busy, and the alien designs were highly detailed yet almost completely forgettable. The film tries to connect the audience to the group of US Marines that fight their way through an alien invasion of Los Angeles by making them “real people,” but that’s kind of hard to buy when they exhibit superhuman feats. Bottom line is as far as entertaining alien invasion flicks go—this one falls more on the side of genre misses like Skyline than hits like ID4 and District 9.

51VGG1g4PuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Limitless

B

Limitless is a fascinating premise: what if there was a pill that would make you smarter. Of course it’s not that simple; the film does raise some good moral questions about such a pill and its consequences, and I would’ve like to have seen that avenue explored a bit more. The performances are mostly just okay (I’m not sure how well Bradley Cooper is as a leading man), but Robert DeNiro has a few great scenes though. The plot is paced fairly well and a few actions scenes are peppered in for good measure, but what you’ll likely enjoy most about this film are the conversations you’ll have with your friends afterward.

41YanNPppYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paul

B

Simon Pegg & Nick Frost have made a career of simultaneously parodying and creating films of the genres they love. They did it masterfully with zombies in Shaun of the Dead, and not so masterfully with action films in Hot Fuzz. Paul is their take on the sci-fi genre and it falls somewhere between their previous two collaborations in terms of success. The film either goes for laughs in mostly slapsticky, crude ways, or relies on nods to previous genre films. The film’s goal to cram in as many ball jokes and geek references as they can kind of leaves me hoping for some wittier dialogue like Pegg & Frost had in their BBC series Spaced. For sci-fi geeks this film is a no-brainer (Braiiiiinnnnsss! Sorry, bad zombie pun.), but non genre fans will likely find themselves wanting for laughs.

51qULWV72%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rango

B+

The animation is great, but the character designs are not the most appealing, and that’s put some people—including myself at times during the movie—to this film. I found the possum particularly creepy. However, anyone who enjoys westerns as a genre should get a kick out of this slightly skewed film with the tried-and-true theme of a hero on a journey of self discovery.

51K-NdCkibL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sucker Punch

C

This film is a mess as far as plot and acting, but if you go just to see some clips of hot chicks dressed like anime babes kicking ass through various amalgamations of geek genres (dragons & ogres, alien robots, samurai demons, & steampunk Nazi zombies) and tune out the ridiculous Showgirl-like brothel scenes that string the action scenes together then you should be pleased.

• 1 month later...

51R3pGSmpUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Your Highness

B-

A stoner comedy set in magical, medieval times. The film tries to straddle the fine line between parody and, uh, not parody. Unfortunately, it fails more often than it succeeds. I should probably give this film a C-, but it has Natalie Portman kicking butt and showing it; that alone bumps this film up a letter grade.

51v9QSGO2CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hanna

B+

A rudimentary summary of the film's plot is an adolescent girl is kept in isolation and trained to be an assassin. But it's so much more than that. The film is a bit heavy on the Brother's Grimm analogies and symbolism, but has great, Bourne-esque action and an intriguing plot. Not to mention the soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers is excellent.

51Ko8LNaAEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thor

A-

Marvel Studios pulls off another great superhero film that has a story so wisely rooted in humanity (the relationship between a father and his sons) and well told that it doesn't matter that the father in question is the inter-dimensional king Odin and his sons are Thor and Loki. It's a very epic, very Shakespearean story in nature, so it was equally wise Marvel got veteran on-screen Shakespearean Kenneth Branagh to direct.

51lb%2BtufuXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bridesmaids

B

A "guy" comedy with chicks? Brilliant! Not to mention a protagonist that actually has realistic problems and a character arc that's well developed.

51LQuU4p4IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

PotC: On Stranger Tides

C

I suppose the kindest thing I can say about this film is a mediocre Jack Sparrow film is better than none at all. Where the last two PotC films suffered from too many characters and too convoluted a plot, this one, well, has the same problems--but at least it doesn't last for nearly 3 hours like the previous two films. Also, these Disney mermaids are nothing like Ariel and Ian McShane as Blackbeard was sorely underused and needs his own spin-off "prequel" film.

512zGEIXJ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Hangover: Part II

C

The film is not so much a sequel as it is a remake of the first film. Same scenario, different city, but more male frontal nudity. Despite this film's unoriginality, there will be a Hangover: Part III. I suggest you save your money and wait for this one on video.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

51tisA7ULVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kung-Fu Panda 2

B+

Another great animated action kids flick from Dreamworks, and a worthy sequel to the original. However, the plot is a bit emotionally heavy for little kids and it does come to a heartwarming conclusion in which the adopted panda learns family is not defined by blood relation but by love. Then that lesson is swiftly kicked in it's furry panda nuts as said lesson is essentially negated by a gimicky end-credit scene that sets up the next film.

51lACblirxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

X-Men: First Class

A

Simply put, this is the best adaptation of the X-Men comics to film yet. From everything to the costumes and casting to the character traits and plot points, this film is pure fanboy Nerdvana.

41pT12ESfCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Super 8

A-

This film has drawn comparison to The Goonies. True, both are Steven Spielberg produced films starring middle-schoolers on an adventure, but Super 8 isn't as light-hearted as The Goonies, plays out more like a mystery film, and deals out much bigger explosions. And a bonus for fans regarding the final scene, after the lens-flare-athon that was 2009's Star Trek, director JJ Abrams finally decided to make a lens flare a relevant (and touching) part of a film rather than cinematic

gl_1sht_final_do.jpg

Green Lantern [3D]

B-

It didn't suck as much as I feared. That's not the greatest compliment one can give a film, but as a life-long fan of Hal Jordan and his superhero status as a Green Lantern, it's honestly the best one I can give. The CGI scenes played out beautifully in 3D, but the story focused way too much on the Earth bound (and inexplicably excessively dickish) Hal and not enough on his training and the intergalactic ass-kickery of the GL Corps. Perhaps those kinks will be worked out in the inevitable sequel.

61i0ftgXnoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cars 2

B-

Cars is not my favorite Pixar film, but it was decent enough, and I'd say this sequel lives up to its predecessor. The spy plot (cribbed from The Man Who Knew Too Little, which was a parody of The Man Who Knew Too Much) works and puts the merchandising favorite Toe-Mater as the main protagonist rather than Lightning McQueen.

Transformers-Dark-Of-The-Moon-Poster1.jpg

Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon [iMAX 3D]

B+

Yup, Michael Bay finally done gone and done a decent Transformers flick. The last hour of the film is basically a string of action scenes one after the other. And it's glorious. Well, if you're into watching giant robots destroy a city and each other that is. True, the film has many a fault (Optimus Prime does some things WAY out of character, and there are plot holes galore), but by now fans should know to expect that from a Bayformers film.

51wX5uq0w%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Horrible Bosses

B

This film is worth seeing for the scenes between Jennifer Aniston as a naughty dentist and Charlie Day as her abused dental hygienist alone. Jasons Bateman & Sudekis, Colin Ferrell, and Kevin Spacey (playing yet another hilariously evil boss) are all just the icing on the cake to a decent summer comedy.

51UTW-%2Bil5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bad Teacher

C

Bad movie. This is a classic example of a comedy that gave away 99% of its funniest jokes in the trailer. Jason Segel is criminally underused in the film as well.

Captain-America-The-First-Avenger-Official-Movie-Poster-450x702-300x468.jpg

Captain America

A-

World War II and superheroes, two of my favorite film genres, are brought together in yet another wonderful Marvel Studios film. I was never a big fan of the Cap comics, but seeing scrawny Steve Rogers (even if the CGI was a bit dodgy) become a true hero was a very cool thing to see unfold onscreen. This film reminds jaded moviegoers and fanboys alike that a superhero doesn't always have to be cynical, conflicted, complicated, or inherently flawed in some way. Sometimes a do-gooder can just want to do good, and that's Steve Rogers.

51SR6ng%2BSNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows pt.2

A-

It's been years since I read the book, so I can't comment on what was omitted or added on to in the film. I do know that this is one exciting movie though. As a fan of the books and films, the only major complaint I have about the ending is that the final battle was so anticlimactic. However, there were some truly fantastic scenes rounding out the characters of Dumbledore and Snape—Ron & Hermione (apart from a kiss) not so much. And Harry, much like I remembered from the books, comes across in the end as not so much a "hero," but as someone who has the bravery to trust in those he loves and, most importantly, in himself.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Films in Theaters:

Crazy, Stupid, Love

C+

Our Idiot Brother

C

Contagion

C+

41YgNvy9YUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Debt

B

This remake of an Israeli spy thriller has such well written characters and such a simple yet intricately woven plot that you'd swear it was "based on a true story." The story follows a team of Israeli spies and jumps from the 1990s to the 1960s as they try to extradite a Nazi war criminal from Soviet occupied Berlin. Any fan of the genre should enjoy this film.

tl;dr

JZA will hate b/c it has Sam Worthington, but it's such a good movie even he doesn't fuck it up!

Films on DVD:

51HaerpojpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Winter's Bone

A

This is an outstanding noir-ish mystery film set in the modern day Ozarks. Jennifer Lawrence (who plays Mystique in X-Men: First Class) gives an Oscar nominated performance (She was robbed!) as a 17-yr-old high school senior trying to keep her family together in the absence of her meth-cooking father. The story is gripping, the setting wonderfully integral, and the performances are fantastic. Don't let yourself miss this one. And for fans of the film's music, there's an excellent documentary available for free on iTunes that I also highly recommend.

5180ldQcPzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Attack the Block

B

Alien invasion movie + Goonies + Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels + fat guy from Shaun of the Dead = this film. I'd have liked to rate it higher because I love the concept, but the jokes were few and the action was a bit weak as well. Worth a look for any fan of the above mentioned films.

51O%2BZlbu3qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Perfect Host

B-

What you think will be a serial killer thriller with a single twist turns out to be a bit more in the third act of the film that's light on the gore and heavy on the crazy. David Hyde Pierce stars as a schizophrenic with violent yet twisted moral tendencies; basically the dark side of Niles Crane if he snapped after one too many rainy Seattle days with Fraser.

41NqJeQ%2BpBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco

C

For years I've heard about how good this Wilco documentary is, and after the release of their most recent album this month I decided to finally knock it off the ol' Netflix queue. The only other music documentary I've seen that I have to compare it to is Metallica's Some Kind of Monster. One would assume that a critically lauded alternative folk/rock band would have a film with more passion, articulation, and insight than a metal rock band, but one would be wrong in such an assumption. The director of …Heart focuses more on the performances during the recording sessions of Yankee Foxtrot Hotel than the unique drama surrounding the making of the album, such as a key member being fired. Also, I'm left with no clear understanding of exactly what Wilco is as a band or who are they as individuals. There are a lot of performances though. This makes for a good musical experience for the Wilco fan, but it makes for a rather meh film.

I know I'm nearly a year late here, but.

Bronson higher than The Proposition?

I bit thee good day.

+1 to that (old school "I agree" +1, not fhdesque +1)

don't tell ASC, but i'm still sitting on the Proposition. it's clearly gonna have to wait till after True Grit at this point.

Watch...the...fucking...movie.

It's a Western about Irish cowboys, this film was literally made for you.

I'ma back-to-back Bronson and Chopper someday since you so often compare them. Though to be honest neither one looks like it will appeal to me and so far all I've seen of Chopper is that Eric Bana really looks like Seth Rogen when he puts on weight.

Chopper is a far better movie than Bronson. I never actually finished Bronson I thought it was quite boring, Chopper on the other hand is anything but.

Attack the Block is The Goonies plus Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels? I can almost barely see the Lock, Stock connection if I squint really hard but I think you just pulled the first movie with kids and movie with British people out of your ass because that formula does not even begin to add up to the movie I watched.

Watch...the...fucking...movie.

It's a Western about Irish cowboys, this film was literally made for you.

aw, shit! well, i can't find my copy - lemme just go check my mailbox, i'm sure my irish care package will have a copy!

cabin-show-picture.jpg

i owe lindsay a dollar

^^You forgot the fat guy from SotD and the alien invasion ingredients. All together they make AtB. Trufax.

Stop squinting and start thinking and then you should see the connections, at least in so far as the relationship amongst the main characters.

Well kids are totally friends in it, so yeah that's just like The Goonies.

I just want to say that someone gave Thor an A rating?? Good lord sir, did we watch the same movie??

Just because I never got to rant about it here, and because I know SOMEONE was soooo looking forward to what they thought would be the greatest movie since Kick Ass...

SuckerPunch F-

A horrible, horrible film in which a girl ends up...ahh fuck I don't even really know. It was just some excuse for some chicks to be scantily dressed and shoot things and fight. But being as this was Zach Snyder's (i believe) first original script, and that he had so much money and a free ticket to do whatever he wanted, this was an abysmal failure in my opinion. Avoid at all costs. It's not good even in a so bad it's good way.

I haven't seen Thor, but I've heard mostly positive things.

HOWEVER I AM GOING TO DOWNLOAD ALMIGHTY THOR IMMEDIATELY!

MOTHERFUCKER HAS AN UZI! OH FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCK!

That said...there's clearly a little fanboy bias at play here. I mean, I get that it's good, but fuckin' Hakus compares it to Shakespeare. You have to take that stuff into account.

In some circles, the Mint 400 is a far far better thing than the Superbowl, the Kentucky Derby, and the lower Oakland roller derby finals all rolled into one. This race attracts a very special breed.

- Raoul Duke

Maybe not. The one I saw was pretty awesome. Maybe you saw this one:

51owuuzz4oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I will say that Thor wasn't that bad of a movie really. I don't know if it is a shakespearian epic like Haju claims but I now compare everything to the atrocity that was Suckerpunch, so in that light maybe the A- wasn't so far off...and Haju being a fan of Thor explains a little as well.