Hondo's Bar

Mini-Movie Reviews

I will say that Thor wasn't that bad of a movie really. I don't know if it is a shakespearian epic like Haju claims but I now compare everything to the atrocity that was Suckerpunch, so in that light maybe the A- wasn't so far off...and Haju being a fan of Thor explains a little as well.

Yes, Haju is my evil self in an alternate dimension. He has a goatee and sinister looking sideburns.

• 2 weeks later...

3610.jpg

In Time

B-

Writer/Director Andrew Nichol is still tackling modern day socio-political issues in a futuristic setting. This time it's capitalism. In Time is set in a future where everyone is genetically engineered to stop aging at 25 then you're given one year to live unless you buy more time. And one can literally buy enough time to become immortal. The film as allegory works surprisingly well, but as entertainment it really flails. The third act plods along with little purpose and while it gives Justin Timberlake a few scenes to kickass, it really goes out with a whimper and not a bang.

51AApM8X7bL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Drive

B+

I didn't really appreciate this film until the second viewing. Ryan Gosling gives an excellent performance as a nameless driver that crackles with violence underneath his mostly subdued demeanor. The plot is thin and the dialogue is Spartan; however, director Nicholas Winding Refn beautifully delivers an action film with fluid pacing and some outstanding performances. Refn reminds me of Tarantino if Tarantino had cut his teeth on more arthouse than grindhouse films in his youth. The neo-80s soundtrack and sometimes languid, lingering shots may have thrown off a mainstream audience, but look a little deeper and you'll find a diamond in the rough with this film.

On DVD

51OdgIiZcaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Friends With Benefits

B

It's fun romantic comedy tailor made for Gen-Xers like myself. It plays on and tries to make light of the clichés of the genre, but it can't help but fall into a few of those clichéd pitfalls as well—wealthy young professional urbanites, the parent with Alzheimer's that's conveniently forgetful (and has a sense of humor about it!), the cute, eccentric nephew.

e12ae03ae7a03305b3551210.L._AA300_.jpg

Matewan

B+

With all the Occupy Wall Street protests going on this film was recommended to me, and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it. It focuses on the start of a coal miner's union in West Virginia in the 1920s. Chris Cooper and James Earl Jones give outstanding performances. Unfortunately, the ending was a bit lacking.

51OUKCSQ8CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Winnebago Man

B-

This documentary is an interesting look into the life of viral videos that make unwitting (and often unwilling) stars of people. The focus is on the godfather of them all, Jack Rebney aka The Winnebago Man. Rebney is a loquacious, angry recluse and one interesting dude. The doc is rather disappointing in how one dimensional a portrait it paints of him though.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

first image is :x:, mr all-bees

There. I even went international on your ass.

And that post is technically subtitled: "B Movies," but I didn't want to step on Gene's toes. I almost went to A- on Matewan, but I just couldn't bring myself to go there b/c of the ending.

How can you review Drive and not mention how bizarre it is that Albert Brooks plays a totally non-campy villain?

Meh. He was OK. The whole time I was like, "Nemo's dad turned out to be such a violent asshole."

Not really though.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

c3a02082ae77366ed1874efa3d954edd_500.gif

40% of those reviews starred Justin Timberlake. This is a weird, wacky future we're living in.

In Time sounds like something I'd want to see, it also sounds a bit like Logan's Run.

I didn't know who the hell this Nicholas Winding Refn character was before Bronson, but he's a blip on my radar now. Drive may be in my future.

I didn't know who the hell this Nicholas Winding Refn character was before Bronson, but he's a blip on my radar now. Drive may be in my future.

He's got one on Netflix called Valhalla Rising, but it's not rated very well on there. Apparently he directed a film called Pusher and two sequels which are supposed to be good.