Hondo's Bar

Free Comic Book Day

The NZA

it's that time again!

Free Comic Book Day: May 7th 2011 aka this Saturday!!

save-the-date-250x250.jpg

Free Comic Book Day Website!

What is Free Comic Book Day?

Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores. (*Check with your local shop for their participation and rules.)

Need More Info?

When is Free Comic Book Day?

Free Comic Book Day is always the 1st Saturday in May. This year it happens to fall on May 7th! It also happens to be the 10th Anniversary! YAY Congrats FCBD!

So who exactly sponsors this shindig?

The Sponsor List which includes the usual cast of your Marvels, DCs, Images, Dark Horses etc...!

sponsor_sdcc2011.gif

Is this really well real?

Sure it might sound fantastical, but yeah it's the real deal. Granted it'll vary on what shops give out, and how many they are willing to give per person. Plus not all shops are involved, but that's why there is a store locator on the website!

What exactly am I gonna get?

Click Here to look at the list of comics being given out!

Am I gonna get the usual not in the USA shaft?

You might, but that could happen in America too. Thankfully this is a world wide effort. Shops in Canada and around the Globe who want to participate can! Just check around at your local comic shops and see if they know about it!

Should I really care?

Sure the comic list might not be huge, but it's a good time for all cause you know it IS free. Plus even if your not into comics or have fallen out, it's a good time to get back in even casually. Just think of it as a good reason to go visit and poke around your local comic book shop. You never know what you might find that'll interest you. Plus who knows what else might be going on there.

dcheroes.gif

As the people who set this day up have said, it's a day not to just celebrate comics, but to also celebrate all the independent comic books shops throughout the world! Oh yeah and you might meet some fellow gaf nerds or other nerds in the process! :D

Hugh Jackman Says Yes to Free Comic Book Day!

Get Your Social Media On!

Free Comic Book Day @Twitter!

Free Comic Book Day @Facebook!

Free Comic Book Day @Flickr!

Other Things of Note!

Store Locator!

Get Into Comics!

Special Creator Signings on Free Comic Book Day!

• 11 months later...

See, I could have sworn we did. I made the mistake of using the search function (which personally hates me), I should have just googled it.

I'm curious about that Censored Howard Cruse.

tangent!

When I was 6 or 7 or so, my dad gave me this R. Crumb book that some guy made which had all the adult content taken out, and I dug it. It was right up there with stuff like Sad Sack and Calvin & Hobbes for me.

YEARS later, I was shocked to find that someone had made naughty Mr. Natural books. It was like seeing Garfield fucking a headless woman, by Jim Davis. It was really confusing until I finally asked my dad about it.

I'm extra excited this year, because it'll be Cathy's first FCBD. The plan is to get up early and hit every comic shop in town. Avalon, Outland Station, MAC's, A&M, Villains, the comic shop down the street from Tate's (I forget the name) and finally, Tate's. It's gonna be epic :)

• 3 weeks later...

lest anyone forget:

W1TQC.jpg

2012 Gold Books:

Avengers: Age of Ultron Point One (Marvel Comics)

Bongo Free-For-All/Spongebob Freestyle (Bongo Comics)

DC: The New 52 Special Edition (DC Comics)

Image @ 20 (Image Comics)

Mouse Guard Labyrinth & More (Archaia Entertainment)

Peanuts/Adventure Time Flipbook (Boom Entertainment)

Star Wars/Serenity (Dark Horse Comics)

Transformers #80.5 (IDW Entertainment)

Yo Gabba Gabba Free Comic Book Time (Oni Press)

2012 Silver Books:

2000 AD Judge Dredd Special (Diamond UK)

Animal Planet World's Most Dangerous Animals (Zenescope Entertainment)

Zombie Kid (Antarctic Press)

Anti (12 Gauge Comics)

Arcana Presents Intrinsic #1 (Arcana Studio)

Atomic Robo & Friends (Red 5 Comics)

Bad Medicine #1 (Oni Press)

Barnaby & Mr. O'Malley (Fantagraphics Books)

Buffy/The Guild (Dark Horse Comics)

Burt Ward Boy Wonder (Bluewater Productions)

The CENSORED Howard Cruse (Boom Entertainment)

DC Nation/Superman Family Flip Book (DC Comics)

Dinosaurs Versus Aliens (Liquid Comics)

Finding Gossamyr Stuff of Legend (Th3rd World Studios)

Graphic Elvis Preview (Liquid Comics)

Infernal Devices Clockwork Angel (Hachette Book Group)

Jurassic Strikeforce 5 (Zenescope Entertainment)

Lady Death The Beginning (Avatar Press)

Moomin Color Special (Drawn & Quarterly)

My Favorite Martian Special Edition (Hermes Press)

Overstreet's Comic Book Marketplace (Gemstone Publishing)

Rockhead & Zinc Alloy 2-For-None (Capstone Publishing)

Smurfs & Disney Fairies Featuring Tinkerbell (NBM Publishing)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics)

Spider-Man Season One (Marvel Comics)

The Hypernaturals (Boom Entertainment)

Top Shelf Kids Club (Top Shelf Productions)

Valiant 2012 Preview (Valiant Entertainment)

Voltron Force: Shelter From the Storm (Viz Media)

Walt Disney's Donald Duck Family Comics (Fantagraphics Books)

Witchblade Unbalanced Pieces (Image Comics)

Worlds of Aspen 2012 (Aspen Comics)

I was trying to figure out how this would work on the digital services. Nothing as of yet. I heard that comixology would be doing something, but haven't heard much past that. I figure Dark Horse whould be doing some stuff too.

Also, what is the difference between the Gold and Silver comics in Nick's list?

Muscled out of my own store by manga freaks and teenaged girls who liked that Avengers movie. When I say muscled out I mean 'there was a line out the door just to get into the motherfucker'. This is the dark vision I had when the first Xmen move came out.

Better luck to you guys, Panch makes it sound like you guys have more than 3 stores to choose from though.

The fucks given by Miami people about comics is nearly non-existent so it is quite a surprise we have so many comic or comic-esk stores in town (a couple are card places that also sell some comics). Of course, the grandaddy of them all being Tate's. Which I can only describe as the Best Buy of comic stores. I've been to both Midtown Comics in NY and they're nothing compared to Tate's.

This year's Free Comic Book Day was a success. Hit up four spots and pretty much got every Free Comic Book Day comic INCLUDING 3 of the very awesome Mouse Guard hardcovers!

Hit up four spots and pretty much got every Free Comic Book Day comic INCLUDING 3 of the very awesome Mouse Guard hardcovers!

You know, we've never been close friends, but I think that needs to be fixed. I feel like we should celebrate our newfound friendship with a gift, of course not related to the above quote. I don't know why I would even quote that, but I sure do love me hardcover comics and mice that are also guards...