Hondo's Bar

The Immortal Iron Fist

Ron Hightower

ImmortalIronFistVol1HC.jpg

Wow, this is the first thread on this book (I looked)?

I borrowed volumes 1 through 3 from Nick (which was borrowing them from Alex) and I was pleasantly surprised. Great book! I'm not a fan of Matt Fraction, but I am a fan Ed Brubaker. Even though you can tell when Fraction's at the helm, I'm still enjoying this book very much. The history that they're weaving with all these Iron Fists of the past is awesome! I love Orson Randall more than Danny Rand himself (Danny still super cool)! You guys said the 3 volume was whatever, but I disagree. It's cool! I like seeing all these new characters, but they throw in Luke, Misty and Colleen just to remind you you're in a Marvel book! I love it! I can't wait to see where they go with the book next...

440px-IronFist_OrsonRandall442.jpg

newt sold them as "bru doing for iron fist what bendis did for DD", i believe, and the first 2 books - which are like this big mystic fight club - are a lotta fun.

my only troubles with it personally are after that; it gets into the historic take on previous Iron Fists and goes from mystical kung-fu to more pulpish and for me, it didnt work as well as idve liked; i found myself skimming a bit. im behind on the book, but still looking to catch up.

meanwhile, seeing bru play with Iron Fist & Matt's sensei's sensei in the current Daredevil arc has been a lotta fun. its a lot like when bendis was on the book and couldnt stop crossing over luke & jessica from book to book, but as a fan of street vigilantes, its great seeing rand as a character i like beyond just his design at this point. before, he was always just a yellow head in the back of some giant marvel montage, i dig that he's finally getting a voice.

I'm just liking the different layers, you know? The Kung-Fu. Corporate take overs. Pulpiness (that you mentioned). I like it! All the while they're retconning the idea of what Iron Fist is. It's great! Did I mention that I LOVE Orson Randall? Man, his story's great! It's almost like what they did with the Sentry... you know, like he's been there the whole time, but not. Having all these old school, corny adventures after he killed all those people in WW1. Layers, man!

Edited by Ron Hightower

Iron Fist has always been one of those characters with awesome potential like Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, and Man-Thing that never really work but are too damn cool to give up with. Moon Knight and Ghost Rider have kinda broken that rule and I don't the closest Man-Thing will ever get is Marvel Zombies 3, so am I to believe that Iron Fist is good now?

i loved the first few arcs of the newest Moon Knight book, dropped it after that. i wish Hudlin (think it was him?) would come back. outside of uh, a moment of Spirits of Vengeance, Ghost Rider was cool in...the ennis mini? yeah, perfect example of a cool-looking, bad-execution character.

and again, i vouch for the first 2 TPBs of Bru's Iron Fist. i need to read more past that to say if it continues its quality.

You need to pick up Moon Knight again, the Death of Marc Spector arc is playing out well. Plus Moon Knight has been graciously absent from World War Hulk and Secret Invasion, so they've got that going for them. I've been thinking about making a Moon Knight thread but the ghost of lazy has been plaguing me very much recently. I think mocking Panch took it all out of me.

As for Ghost Rider, the recent series has been pretty good when they haven't had to tie into big events like World War Hulk which produced the worst trade of all time 2 issues for 10 fucking dollars just to watch Ghost Rider lose because Marvel has to derail all the characters that can actually beat the Hulk by the stupidest means possible just so they can proceed with that big fucking disappointment of a core book. If the fucking things weren't numbered.... Anyway, other than that it's been pretty well written, definitely heads above the 90s shit and even better than some of the early 80s when it was still halfway decent.

As for Iron Fist all I know is I flipped through a recent one and after reading "You shall will not beat me. My kung fu is greater than yours." I had to stop myself from giggling in public and gently placed it back on the rack.

• 2 months later...

Finally got caught on this book, and man is it good.

like bishop & some others, the 3rd trade was kinda slow, but the older Iron Fist eventually grew on me. Thing is, right after that arc, Danny fights his unstoppable villain (like when Spidey went at it with Morlun, etc) and the current arc has the cast of the first 2 trades basically in hell. this is good enough where i think i want the trades, mad love again to newt for putting me onto this.

Baytor - yeah man, check this out when you can. also, gonna go post in the Moon Knight thread, totally down on myself for having dropped that book. i loves me some street-level vigilantes.

• 3 months later...

8319header_banner4643649.jpg

so, "Immortal Weapons" starts up soon, if not already - i enjoyed these characters, so ill be checking it out. the last arc featured

them all in hell, basically, and was a great story...coming out of it, though, shit's gone even crazier: Danny's business looks gone, and Misty's knocked up? that was fucking fast for one issue!

anybody else still on this one? Such a great sleeper hit, especially for kung-fun fans.

• 2 months later...

so, so want.

man, after the last few arcs of back-to-back awesome, i wish that omnibus included the whole run. it looks like the title's on hiatus while Immortal Weapons plays out, which is cool cause both issues so far have been great (Fat Cobra & Bride of Nine Spiders - i so want this trade), with one of the dangling plotlines from the series being played out in a backstory.

all this is good news, seeing as the book was thought cancelled. thank christ its not, god knows there's so many fanboy haters (note to self: stay away from newsarama) that didnt even bother with the book after bru/fraction left, which sucks cause Swierczynski kept the quality coming).

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...