Hondo's Bar

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Trailer was awful, movie was dumb dumb fun. Honestly I expected it to at lest TRY to be plausible, and if it had tried, it would have failed. Let's be honest GI JOE was about big buff dudes and hot women shooting ridonkulously high tech weaponry at eachother and trying to stop Cobra from destroying/controlling the world. It got that sense of kitch perfect, and the best part, is that it pretty much played it serious. The best part I thought was that the film in no way aspired to be anything other than a ridiculous action ride, well, a little more, the

Baroness plot was awful, awful stuff. But with the backstory they gave her, it was really the only way they could go.

But the Joes are the good guys, there is no grey. Cobra, they are dicks just to be dicks, again no grey. They are out for world domination, and they have ridiculous firepower, and the best part is that unlike the cartoon, people get whacked all the time, but it's mostly ok because they're either working for Cobra, or French. I've been waiting for a movie to unabashedly embrace the over the top nonsensical nature of superhero comics and cartoons for ages, and GI Joe was the first to really do so. It had the feel that I wished the Fantastic Four movies did, big evil overlords doing evil stuff just because they are dicks, heroes fighting them in crazy action scenes, car's that can fly and blow stuff up real good, multiple villians in full face masks, a pair of batshit crazy ninjas, and an underwater lair with a self destruct mechanism.

That's what GI Joe is about! The cartoon never, ever made any sense, and neither does the movie, it's about seeing just what crazy ass gadget they will use next, what absurd feat of acrobatics is coming up, or just how Cobra and the Joes will kill people in inventive and painful looking ways. There is no introspection, there is no philosophy about what it means to be a hero, this is no Dark Knight, or even Spiderman, or hell, even Daredevil. And thank god for that, because the GI Joe license was never meant to be introspective. It was meant to be THIS:

and save for the lack of a ton of "America: FUCK YEAH!" that's pretty much what the movie was.

Would have been the perfect Joe film if not for the horrible, horrible Duke flashbacks, and actually

giving Cobra Commander an origin.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any one else who saw the movie think it was a little rediculous that

they knew how to operate all of the bad guys computers and that when they blew up the polar ice cap that all the ice sank?

other than that, it was pretty good. i mean, hot guy in a uniform, hot badass chicks, and tons of action.

"G.I.JOE The Rise of Cobra" is a unapologetic and unrelenting action movie. It is a true throw back to the Cold War era. All they did was take the basic premise of the 80's cartoon wrap a little plot around it, add some cutting edge evil weapon, raised up the body count, and let it loose!

All of the weapon technologies from the toy line and ramp them up, the blue and red lasers from the cartoon have been replaced with sonic weapons that send the victim flying back 20 feet! These weapons a loud and merciless exactly what a high tech terrorist organization would have. They are used to inflict heavy casualties.

I have some nitpicks about characters and effects, but the movie does not slow down enough for you think about them. Besides for all the things Sommers misses, he makes up by nailing some of the characters dead on, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Scarlett, Zartan, General Hawk, Destro and Miller's baroness is a ruthless as she is gorgeous. I actually liked Gordon Levitt as The Doctor he had a very hard assignment but I liked all the parts of his complex performance. Tatum and Wayans are alright as Duke and Ripcord, but nowhere near are good as the rest of the Cast.

Stephen Sommers directed the exact movie he was hired to direct. It is a fun movie, with a horrible script, that does not take it self to seriously. With mind-blowing wall-to-wall action. It allows the baddies to be completely hammy with over the top dialogue about world conquest, and the good guys are boy and girl scout who fight for freedom. As it should be.

Like Bish said, this movie's universe is black and white, which is a refreshing change.

This movie is a true 80's action movie amped up on Steroids and using bigger guns. You and the 10 year old inside of all of you will have a fun ride.

ICE SINKS!

Also, if you design an aircraft, why would you make the firing mechanism voice activated? And why would that be the first thing your enemies think you MIGHT have done, and if you put the word FIRE in another language, why would it be so obviously your native languange, that THEY KNOW ALL ABOUT!?

ICE SINKS!

Also, if you design an aircraft, why would you make the firing mechanism voice activated? And why would that be the first thing your enemies think you MIGHT have done, and if you put the word FIRE in another language, why would it be so obviously your native languange, that THEY KNOW ALL ABOUT!?

Because you're Destro. That pretty much covers it. MARS/Cobra is insane, they do shit for no good reason. That's what's so great.

^^ okay if you ever watched the cartoon...lots of things didn't make sense, just like that. I think the biggest problem with the movie was The Baroness' plot line. they went to far with her being an evil bitch from hell just to cop out at the end.

i still think it was fun to watch though, and I'll probably watch it again.

I completely enjoyed the movie going experience, but there wasn't a shred of redeeming quality in the whole film, to me. The Baroness 'plot twist' was a glaring, horrible mess, and took away form everything, in spite of suspension of disbelief, which actually did cover the ice not floating bit.

Because you're Destro. That pretty much covers it. MARS/Cobra is insane, they do shit for no good reason. That's what's so great.

you know, i resent the way that you portray clearly not-for-much-profit organizations hell-bent on world domination as crazy and two dimensional. Sure, Dr. No, Dr. Doom, Dr. Claw, and half the cast of Gatchaman fit this bill, but given time, i shall find an example where this is somehow not the case. its a valid cause you're undermining here.

yes, we shall

ps WTF to newt's vid: good, but even that baronness was hotter.

• 11 months later...

Archived