Hondo's Bar

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

• 2 months later...

Not every book needed it. I actually enjoyed the efficiency of the Order of the Phoenix film (even though it meant going through the plot of the book with a machete) but I think Goblet of Fire could have easily accommodated two films.

PS: One thing does have me a little concerned about HBP - apparently, it's rated PG! Considering some of the major shit that goes down in this story, how it managed to get a lesser rating than the last three films is beyond me.

PS: One thing does have me a little concerned about HBP - apparently, it's rated PG! Considering some of the major shit that goes down in this story, how it managed to get a lesser rating than the last three films is beyond me.

Agreed.

keep in mind an R rated movie 15-20 years ago would probably get a PG13 rating now so long as it doesn't show direct nudity (and doens't co-star the word 'Fuck' in it)

Eh, that can go both ways. It wouldn't shock me if The Wizard of Oz flirted with a PG-13 rating these days, thanks to the scary crap in that. The very reason the PG-13 rating was created was because stuff was being passed off as PG kid-friendly entertainment when it was far too dark for kids (I'm looking at you Gremlins and Temple of Doom) The last three Harry Potter films earned their PG-13 rating with dark imagery and intense situations alone, and this film should up the ante in those departments considerably. Almost by necessity, this movie should have everything that made the last three PG-13 - and more! I just don't know how it could have gotten a lesser rating.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Speed Racer, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian have all been PG. The standard has been lowered. But seriously, how can you think a PG rating would be more indicative than this awesome final trailer?

• 2 months later...

Enjoyable, but still could've been a lot better. A lot was left out (even for what you'd usually expect for an adaptation) but it still managed to be around 3 hours (unsurprising considering the size of the book). They maybe should've split this into two movies as well.

That said, I'm still gonna watch again at the IMAX.

Yeah with a 3 hour runnin time I was expecting to be bored but I wasn't. Missed some important stuff like

the mystery of the half-blood prince

, the payoff of that was so little it might as well not have been there. I genuinely believe they shot the entire film, sent everyone home, and then realised they hadn't resolved that loose thread so used stock footage of Alan Rickman & had him literally phone it in. When you go see it, listen to see if the audio is different. :2T:

It was okay, no real slow bits, this really coulda have been spread across 2 movies easily. Maybe then we could have seen

Voldemort

in any capacity whatsoever.

It was okay, no real slow bits, this really coulda have been spread across 2 movies easily. Maybe then we could have seen

Voldemort

in any capacity whatsoever.

It really could have, though I don't recall

Voldemort actually showing up in this book.

Don't say that name!

Anyway, yeah, the movie really could have used a big wizard fight at the end. And the revelation of who the Half-Blood Prince was much better in the book. I don't even remember how it played out in the book, but I don't remember thinking it was so wholly lame. The movie was flawed, but mostly pretty fun. The last book will be released in two volumes, Kill Bill style. I have a much higher level of expectations for that.

Don't say that name!

What, Humperdinck?

Anyway, yeah, the movie really could have used a big wizard fight at the end. And the revelation of who the Half-Blood Prince was much better in the book. I don't even remember how it played out in the book, but I don't remember thinking it was so wholly lame. The movie was flawed, but mostly pretty fun. The last book will be released in two volumes, Kill Bill style. I have a much higher level of expectations for that.

Oh, yes. Those'll be very nice. :2T:

Yeah great movie. I agree with JZA in the way that they seem to cut the movie in such a way that it becomes more newsreel than narrative however. Still excited me though and was very faithful to the book. The

HBP whodunnit element aorund the potions book

was poorly handled but thats about my only complaint. My previous complaints of Daniel Radcliffe being a bit wooden as an actor were somewhat dispelled here. He aint exactly the young Keanu Reeves just yet.

I'm not going to see it in the cinema, just due to previous experiences wher i have wanted to throw things at very small childrens heads, so I have decided to see it with friends at the drive in, plus side, no screaming kids, we can drink and smoke plus its the drive ins.... whoot

But I was happy when I first heard they were making the seventh in two installments, lets just hope my pants dont explode with excitement before i see this one tho... whoop whoop :huh:

oh oh and jay, ive convinced them to let us have a harry potter day at work.... yays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to see it in the cinema, just due to previous experiences wher i have wanted to throw things at very small childrens heads, so I have decided to see it with friends at the drive in, plus side, no screaming kids, we can drink and smoke plus its the drive ins.... whoot

But I was happy when I first heard they were making the seventh in two installments, lets just hope my pants dont explode with excitement before i see this one tho... whoop whoop ^_^

oh oh and jay, ive convinced them to let us have a harry potter day at work.... yays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drinking at the movies FTW- as opposed to rocking up to the cinemas drunk(which is still sweet). We did this for The Incredible Hulk & Speed Racer and were well-hammered by the end of speed Racer & singing along. Be sure to get photos of your MPL HP day. Tell GB I want to see his as a Weasley(and then tell him what a Weasley is).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived