Hondo's Bar

Justice Society of America

archangel

i just cant get into JSA, its like taking the older/classic/more boring bits of JLA and putting them on a roster.

you need Jumbie, and perhaps bish here. we're such marvel zombies, we're waiting on the Millar elseworlds where Hawkman serves Mussolini in WWII and only tanks loaded with Power Girl's boobs can stop him.

If you want a few good DC books, Baytor will always push Hitman, I always refer to Hard Time(can't vouch for Vol. 2, but Vol 1 was gold), I'm also a sucker for the Loeb/McGuiness Superman stuff, also the Joe Kelly Action Comics as well(specifically search for #775- I reckon you'll love it). Other than that, DC really is just the proverbial basket of dicks everyone keeps passing around. In another week half those dicks will be dead and the other half retconned into super-powered seamonkeys.

If you want a few good DC books, Baytor will always push Hitman, I always refer to Hard Time(can't vouch for Vol. 2, but Vol 1 was gold), I'm also a sucker for the Loeb/McGuiness Superman stuff, also the Joe Kelly Action Comics as well(specifically search for #775- I reckon you'll love it).

good calls all around - Hard Time had me thinking of the Hellblazer arc, forgot that was a book? I remember picking up Supes again around the time he fought Bizarro with Mcguiness' pencils really impressing me for the book. and yeah, i only read action #775 (was that "what's so funny about..." one?), but it was one of supes' finest tales if its the one im thinking about.

"What's so funny about Truth, Justice & The American Way?"

Yeah, still stands as one of my favourite stories. Premiered the Elite(JLE4EVA), gave a decent commentary on the shift from moral superheroes to more realistic, morally ambiguous supercops like Millar's Authority, and saw the single coolest moment in a Superman book(for those who've read it, and I apologise for paraphrasing but it's been a while- 'If you had Superhearing, you'd hear a pop in about eight seconds'. Joe Kelly in best form outside of a Deadpool comic.

ANd regarding Hellblazer- I just went ahead and assumed we weren't discussing DC books.

I love how everyone is hating on the JSA without having read Johns' run on the damn thing. You all love in in GL, so why not at least give it a shot? It's a damn fun book.

its preemptive hate based on the fact that i dont find any of the characters on the team's roster compelling, so its a hard sell, even if johns is golden on GL. not to say i wont, slut, but im still looking at your giant killer book in my queue so, you know, ill check this out eventually.

seriously though, to someone who's not normally a fan of DC proper, the team looks like its waiting for ennis to do a parody of it.

• 2 weeks later...

wait? You really don't find Garrick or Scott compelling?

I always felt Garrick and Scott where the best fleshed out Flash/GL. They had to pull some crazy shit (Hal going bonkers/Killing Barry, all that crazy shit with Wally, and killing Bart) for the others to be interesting.

Man, fuck you, Hal Jordan is and has always been the tits, and while Alan Scott may not have been the gaping whiny cunt that is Kyle Rayner it's still compounded by the fact that he's weak against fucking wood!

(Seriously though, Hal Jordan is the most popular as the Green Lantern for a reason. Though he made a much cooler Spectre than he did GL)

Then keep him as spectre

No! Because then Rayner comes back in the spotlight and I can not be forced to tolerate his whining any longer and Guy Gardner isn't as cool as he thinks he is (plus he needs to realize that bowl cuts look horrible dweeby, Walter Kovacs was proof that you can still be ginger and badass dammit.)

Besides DC has long since retconned the whole Spectre thing which tied into Parallax which was a fucking horrible story to begin with (Not Secret Invasion bad, but it tried) and he's still far more interesting than the blond haired old man wearing a costume that seems to be composed of odds and ends from the post-Halloween bargain bin at the local costume shop. And I reiterate, he is weak against wood, which makes the whole weakness against yellow look macho by comparison. Sure, Hal Jordan can be thwarted by big bird but Alan Scott could get his ass handed to him by Norm Abram.

Archived