Hondo's Bar

Kick-Ass

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw it this evening, thoroughly enjoyable adaption. Great action, good, well balanced comedic elements.

A few changes to the book, some for the better some not so much, but nothing that'd put you off seeing it.

Biggest changes:

Big Daddy's motive is changed to a traditional revenge story. He was a cop, that was causing the Mafia Don major trouble. The Don frames him and

sends him to jail, his wife then dies due to strain of life on her own while in labour. Big Daddy makes it his mission to kill John Genovese or Frank D'Amico as he's called in the movie. The only other major deviation is that Kick Ass get's the girl in the end, but that was to be expected.

Nick Cage was brillaint in this, his voice in the costume is based on a certain Caped Crusader (but which portrayal?) Hit Girl stole the show though, I can't wait to see her unleashed in a sequel

Overall a very fun movie which fans and non fans will enjoy.

8/10

Edited by alive she cried

From Wiki

The film premiered March 26, 2010 in the United Kingdom (and Ireland you fuckers) and April 16, 2010 in the United States.

Just checked this out, very strange we got it so much earlier than you. God, I used to remember the days when we would always get it at least a month after ye, sometimes several months. Today...or yesterday was a great day to be Irish. :ghost:

I'm making fun of you, asshat.

I know you're making fun of me, but you're making fun of how I made fun of you guys, and you're all still completely clueless as to how moronic you were when I compared your complaints to hypothetical complaints about a Spider-Man movie. Demanding that a movie not be made until a book ends is asinine, be it limited series or not. Ass-in-ine. Miilar obviously started Kick-Ass with the intention to sell it to be made into a film. Someone said he sold the film rights before the first issue came out..not sure if that was hyperbole or not, but I know they were sold before issue 2, and anyone reading the book can tell he's only writing a book so the movie can technically be based on a comic book (also, it gives you more creative influence over the final product than if you just write a screenplay). So what's the fucking issue. We're not discussing a movie about Obama's presidential administration here, Millar knows how it'll end so it doesn't matter if the book isn't finished, it's not like the filmmakers were shooting in the dark.

Let me be clear, I'm making fun of all of you.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I know you're making fun of me, but you're making fun of how I made fun of you guys, and you're all still completely clueless as to how moronic you were when I compared your complaints to hypothetical complaints about a Spider-Man movie. Demanding that a movie not be made until a book ends is asinine, be it limited series or not. Ass-in-ine. Miilar obviously started Kick-Ass with the intention to sell it to be made into a film. Someone said he sold the film rights before the first issue came out..not sure if that was hyperbole or not, but I know they were sold before issue 2, and anyone reading the book can tell he's only writing a book so the movie can technically be based on a comic book (also, it gives you more creative influence over the final product than if you just write a screenplay). So what's the fucking issue. We're not discussing a movie about Obama's presidential administration here, Millar knows how it'll end so it doesn't matter if the book isn't finished, it's not like the filmmakers were shooting in the dark.

Let me be clear, I'm making fun of all of you.

You're right, the Watchmen movie should've ended at the part where Dr. Manhattan goes to Mars.

You seem to fail to grasp a fairly simple concept in that there's a difference between an ongoing and a one-shot. Spider-Man will never have an end. EVER. And if it does, it will just start again. That's how it works. But if you say, made a movie of Kraven's Last Hunt you would want the entire story in said movie, and preferably, you would want the entire story to be written before said movie was.

You also seem to think that a writer has everything mapped out before they start their project. A lot of what happens in the end is came up with as the story progresses and often times those are the best parts as the general outline is just the skeleton of the story. So the film-makers have a skeleton and have to figure out what the meat and skin of the peace will be without having any clue what that would look like.

With all due respect, you're a fucking idiot.

Edited by Iambaytor

You're right, the Watchmen movie should've ended at the part where Dr. Manhattan goes to Mars.

You seem to fail to grasp a fairly simple concept in that there's a difference between an ongoing and a one-shot. Spider-Man will never have an end. EVER. And if it does, it will just start again. That's how it works. But if you say, made a movie of Kraven's Last Hunt you would want the entire story in said movie, and preferably, you would want the entire story to be written before said movie was.

You also seem to think that a writer has everything mapped out before they start their project. A lot of what happens in the end is came up with as the story progresses and often times those are the best parts as the general outline is just the skeleton of the story. So the film-makers have a skeleton and have to figure out what the meat and skin of the peace will be without having any clue what that would look like.

With all due respect, you're a fucking idiot.

Well, Kick-Ass #8 ended saying there would be a second series, so maybe Kick-Ass will also never end. But that's not even the point. We will see how much this movie's end suffers from being made before the ending came out. If New York gets nuked at the end, or aliens invade Earth, or it was all a dream, or Hit-Girl grows up to be the first female president in the epilogue, or the Jackel tells Dave he was the clone all along and Red Mist was the original Dave Lezewski all along, I'd bow my head and conceed this argument.

Or...if Eamonn has read it, maybe he can tell us.

Edited by Reverend Jax

I think he means more that you couldn't do a movie in the middle of an arc(I think thats that is being said anyway) like say kick ass #6 or half way though watch men. You can't do all of spidey but you can do arc's as movies. or I'm completely off on what I'm reading

Well, Kick-Ass #8 ended saying there would be a second series, so maybe Kick-Ass will also never end. But that's not even the point. We will see how much this movie's end suffers from being made before the ending came out. If New York gets nuked at the end, or aliens invade Earth, or it was all a dream, or Hit-Girl grows up to be the first female president in the epilogue, or the Jackel tells Dave he was the clone all along and Red Mist was the original Dave Lezewski all along, I'd bow my head and conceed this argument.

Or...if Eamonn has read it, maybe he can tell us.

Yes it opened up for a sequel, but the story ended. Do you have to take lessons to be this dense?

And according to what Eamonn said, the end is rather different from the comic.

Big Daddy's motivation in the movie is exactly what he says it is, and not him being a comic book nerd. Hit-Girl is apparently available to be in the sequel which means she doesn't hang up her swords at the end like the book. I assume Big Daddy still dies. But regardless, these are big changes because they weren't written when the script was. Watchmen fans got pissed because the squid was replaced, this is bigger than a fucking squid.

Also, Gunsmith is right. You can't start before the second half of the arc even exists. I'm even wary about Edgar Wright doing this for the Scott Pilgrim movie, I really dislike that he started writing it before Episode 4 was even started.

But you're missing the point, he also said it was fun and enjoyable. You're judging the merits of the movie based on how accurate it is to the book, I'm not. I'd rather they start making a comic book movie with the right cast and crew before the arc is done than do it over half a century after the character is created and get The Spirit.

He also said that about Wanted, which only I liked, and only because I saw it first. Not to mention I'm not arguing the merits of the movie, but the merits of the way it was done. I was using the ending example because you said if I could show that the parallel writing significantly changed important plot points you would concede my point.

Besides, Kick-Ass isn't an ongoing, it has an upcoming sequel called Balls to the Wall which is a seperate entity in the same universe.

I'm not arguing the merits of the movie, but the merits of the way it was done.

They're not using child slave labor to make the movie; who cares HOW is was made if it turns out to be a good movie? Changes to the end could have been made because wanted to change the ending or because they had nothing to go on, so if the movie has basically nothing from the last few issues, that's different if it has some things from the last few issues the same and somethings changed. They could have waited til the run was finished and it's very likely

he would have still gotten the girl at the end of the movie

, cause Hollywood likes that kinda shit. I just highly doubt I'm going to be saying "I wish they'd treated this property more like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which they didn't adapt to film until the first volume was finished being published, the key that assured it's high caliber of cinematic quality!" after I see it.

:sarcasm: Oh come on, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. You offered to concede my point if I fulfilled certain conditions, I called your bluff and did this and you kept going. I see no reason to continue this argument, when everyone who's not you agrees that you make the most asinine argument any of us have ever heard.

Oh come on, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Well, if anyone could recognize 'arguing for the sake of arguing' that looked like, it would be the world champion.

I'm going to go see this movie, and I bet I'm going to enjoy it. If you want to go see it and tell all your friend "yeah, I saw it, but I saw it under protest that it ws made when it was made, on principle!"...great, knock your the fuck out.