Hondo's Bar

Night time talk shows (2009 and onward)

Signal08

Night time talk shows poll, including the old and new era.  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mic.jpg

March 2, 2009 will begin the first of a few changes in night time talk show hosting. NBC will be making adjustments, moving Conan O'Brien to the 11:35p slot of the Tonight Show, replacing Jay Leno in a later date. This move created an empty desk for the Late Night show. Jimmy Fallon was tapped the replacement, and will be the first to make the take over appearance. Jay Leno will get a new show titled after himself "The Jay Leno Show" and it will move to the 10p slot. ABC is not making any changes at this time, but might make an addition to the 10p slot in th future, if the Leno show proves to do well.

The dates/times are as follows:

O'Brien's sign off - February 20, 2009 of Late Night (NBC)

Fallon's debut - March 2, 2009 on Late Night (NBC)

Leno's sign off - May 29, 2009 of The Tonight Show (NBC)

O'Brien's debut - June 1, 2009 on The Tonight Show (NBC)

Leno's debut - Fall 2009 on The Jay Leno Show

NBC advised that moving Leno was a financial move, since it costs roughly 2 million dollars in production and contracts a week to air a talk show (104 million a year), with the acting show production and contracts costing 15 million a week (780 million a year). 676 million is the savings, but will it work. NBC will now have a talk show in the primetime 10p slot, going up against ABC, which will still be airing acting shows.

I personally don't like Fallon all that much, but I don't think he will do all that bad. I do know that he won't come close to O'Brien in creativity. Feel free to vote above and discuss below!

People were skeptical of O'Brien at first too. It takes a while to get in the right rhymth for talk shows, and alot of greats started out with a rough start. Fallon never made much of an impression on me on SNL. I mean, he was ok (his impersonation of Dave Matthews is hilarious), but he didn't stand out.

Conan is hilarious, and other than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, he is the king of late night. The rumor was than NBC offered him the Tonight Show because ABC was offering him a good chuck of change for their 11:30pm spot, and NBC didn't want to lose him. It certainly is cheaper to do a hour long block at 10pm, 5 nights a week, rather than 5 scripted shows, and he certainly will be able to capture the market that like's late night shows but have to get to bed a a reasonable hour. Of course, if he does do well, ABC or CBS will probably do the same thing, success will mean he'll quickly lose his monopoly, but he'll have the jump on capturing that market's loyalty.

Also, I find it funny that Leno/Letterman is the "old era."

Edited by Reverend Jax

I don't watch these often, but when I do I turn to Conan. Also, I know that Chesla Latley isn't on the mainstream...but gotta show the girl some love, she's crude and funny and she's way better than Carson Daly.

I hate Jimmy Fallon, he's only funny when...oh wait no, he's never funny. Jay leno is just awful, I've never been able to watch his show.

Letterman would be a close second, as far as favorites go, he gets the best live acts on his show.

yes!...chelsea lately is hilarious! i'm too poor to pay for cable though so i can only catch it when i'm at my parents' house. boo!

i've been watching conan since i was about 11 so it's going to be weird to see him toned down (no masturbating bear, etc.) and i don't really know how it's going to work since his comedy and sketches are much more laid back than the tonight show format. i'm a little worried he won't be able to be himself. i'm also worried that the older generations won't get his humor. my grandparents don't find him funny at all.

Haha, wow, the answers don't look spread out at all. Much love for Conan, much hate for Carson Daly.

I'm going to love Conan being on at the earlier time. In all honesty, I'd watch him more if I wasn't already asleep when he came on, and now that I can, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it.

Can't wait to see the new set. Will it be a new set? I hope it'll be a new set.

EDIT

Can't believe I forgot him, but I always loved the Graham Norton Show, the new one they show on BBC America. It's weekly and it's british, so on both counts I don't think they fit here, but every episode of that show I've seen has been hilarious.

Edited by Maldron

back in college every weeknight was letterman then conan. i haven't really watched a lot of conan in the past 4 years--he's own too late and i have to get up too early for work. i'm looking forward to possibly catching him agian now that he's taking over leno's spot. and i'm also curious to see what a prime-time leno will do--although it will likely suck as much as late-night leno.

Conan O'Brien during his last sign off of the Late Night Show "Well, people say that this is a sign that I need to grow up since I'm going to 1130, but rest assured, ... that just isn't gonna happen! Face it, I just don't know how."

He might not be changing all that much. I am sure certain things will curb a bit, but I sure do hope they dont try to change him much.

Edited by Signal08

Call me crazy, but I think the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien won't be as successful as it has been with Jay Leno and Johnny Carson. I don't really find Conan all that funny, but on the other hand, Leno cracks me up. I actually look forward to some of Leno's segments such as Headlines, Jaywalking, Stuff We Found on Ebay, those silly gifts, etc. I hope when Jay moves to 10pm, he will keep all that stuff with him. The only thing from the Conan Show I found mildly amusing are those character pictures with the moving mouths, and the In The Year 2000 segment. Who knows, maybe Conan might help the Tonight Show, but in my opinion, I think they should've kept Leno.

Carson could be good in the day, Leno never made me laugh nearly as much as it did Eubanks (sp?). Letterman was even less funny.

talk shows are weird, didnt Kilborn or whoever leave the daily show and everyone thought Stewart might bomb? Shit, Magic Johnson and the oldest Wayans had shows for like a week, but after Arsenio i guess the only spot for black comedians/athletes is HBO. anyway.

i dont really watch any of em, so no real vested interest - colbert & stewart make me laugh even harder than conan in the day (with andy richter) and that's saying a lot.

huh, just checked wiki to get richter's name, and found out jason alexander tried out for the part of his sidekick once.

Have you read her books yet? They are funny as hell, I recommend them if you're a fan of her show.

I have not, but I know one of them is titled "Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea," which is pretty much the best book title ever. Chelsea Handler is too good for E!, but the show is well suited for the channel. She has said her show is successful not in spite of the terrible d-list guests, but because of them. For a while, I thought Cheslea Handler played Perry Cox's sister on Scrubs, but that's actually Cheryl Hines.

Carson could be good in the day,

To clarify, Nick mean Johnny Carson, not Carson Daly.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it. I want to be very clear about one thing: The Roots are Jimmy's Fallon's house band! The Roots!

OK, not that I've made that clear, he was ok. He had some really good jokes in him monologue, and 'Lick it for Ten' was a funny segment, but should not become a regular segment. His interview with Deniro was awkward (though he did play of the awkwardness), and Timberlake was good. Talk show host is very good at very, it's something you have to get comfortable in, and this was ok.

^^

Yeah, The Roots as the house band is pretty cool, but how long do you think that'll last? Branford Marsalis lasted barely 2 seasons w/ Leno. I'd be surprised if The Roots stuck around past May.

And Andy Richter is supposed to return as Conan's sidekick when he takes over the 11:30PM spot.

• 6 years later...

^^

Yeah, The Roots as the house band is pretty cool, but how long do you think that'll last? Branford Marsalis lasted barely 2 seasons w/ Leno. I'd be surprised if The Roots stuck around past May.

And Andy Richter is supposed to return as Conan's sidekick when he takes over the 11:30PM spot.

if andy returns... I will be pissed. Conan = funny , andy = annoying.

Well, I was wrong--The Roots know a good gig when they have one--and Signal must be pretty pissed at NBC & TBS for bringing back ol' Andy Richter..