Hondo's Bar

Is Kanye UNconscious? (title change)

Ron Hightower

Is Kanye Conscious?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Few things I wish to bring to everyone's attention.

1) I wish I'd been a fan when this discussion was happening.

2) I'd give at least one of my incisors to see Kanye give the full Bohemian Rasphody a red hot go.

3) Kanye west is Autistic as fuck. I am convinced of this and will show my work if anyone wishes to engage me on this.

4) In light of the above, Sydney Dean said it best: Y'all listening to Kanye, but y'can't hear Kanye

The first queue for me was Storytellers, from 2009(off the back of 808's?). Watching the guy trying so damned hard to articulate feelings and convey emotion, he's not great with eye contact, there's a clear disconnect between what he says and how it's interpreted, which then leads into angry and very public outbursts, he's a natural savant at anything he sets to learning(coding, production, fashion), he carries the chassis of someone who is both desperate to make a meaningful change in the world but is simultaneously frustrated by continued resistance to his ideas and message. He's an analytical thinker but not great at communicating. The key to better understanding what he means when he says something like 'I am a god' is in his music, a forum in which he used to at least be able to articulate himself comfortably and competently. Marrying up broad and off-putting statements with ideologies expressed in his flow.

Frankly he's been steadily moving off the rails since his mum died and unless he can find someone to fill that mentor/safety role we're never gonna see good, classic Kanye again. Mending fences with Dash was a good start IMO.

Re the original pitched question; Yeah Kanye's Conscious, it's just in an a barely-scrutable, very self-aware way.

also can we get a video of freddie trying to cover So Appalled or All Day pls

No, and not only because of the whole being dead thing. Freddie wasn't arrogant/stupid enough to think that just because he's performing in another country he is suddenly imbued with the ability to "sing" famous songs from said country.

I'm astounded nobody pulled him aside, and pointed out that he wasn't actually able to sing.

Edited by alive she cried

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Only Kanye thread in sight and no mention of G.O.O.D music anywhere so admin lemme know if there's a better thread to put this.

I've listened to Ye and it isn't bad. I like it a lot better than Pablo for the standout tracks like Ghost Town and Yikes, it's a lot more cohesive than Pablo or even Yeezus before it. Seven tracks @ a total playtime of 23 minutes is a minimal investment of time, which I like too.

I'm told the move is to listen to all five albums from the Wyoming sessions (I'll list below) together and it forms a much richer tapestry. 

Pusha T: Daytona

Kanye: Ye

Kid Cudi: Kids See Ghosts

Nas: Nasir

Teyana Taylor: KTSE

This bit's relevant to the thread.

but on a sidenote Ye has made me a believer again. This is the clearest he's been since 808's. It feels good to love the guy's work again.

This is from just prior to the release of Ye. The guy has clearly benefitted from addressing his mental health. It looks like he's back on track, and certainly the works are reflecting that IMO.

On a slight grumble, I'm only halfway through at the moment but I'm guessing this is the source of all the Kanye trump support media content. Personally I find it slightly more problematic to hear him talk about how he dresses his wife? Eccch.

I've listenend to Daytona, Ye and Kids See Ghosts so far and I've really enjoyed them. Pusha and Kid Cudi's albums have a consistent higher energy than Ye but nothing feels out of place. I'm looking forward to listening to Nasir and KTSE

yeah...i thought TLOP was his weakest effort to date & heard good/mixed things on ye, but kinda threw dude in the bushes somewhere around slavery as a choice. i don't really disparage anyone downloading this, but the heel turn even soured me on his older shit, just not in a place where i can enjoy his works anymore

pusha was solid (as was his last album, i thought) and ill get around to Nas' ep but even his domestic abuse shit killed some hype. it's good he has some more consistent production going i guess 

yeah, i will too.  he's in my top 5, if not 3.  i gotta hear this at some point. 

not to hijack the topic, but there's been a large conversation around yeezy's fuckery & the damper it put on his latest/some of these works.  i've come to accept the (somewhat) arbitrary line in the sand each of makes with these things: lotta awful lyrics flew in the 90's that we'd not be cool with now, nevermind some MC's straight up murdering people/etc. 

it's easy for someone to tell me if i don't pay chris brown any mind, why do i fuck with nas still?  was it cause the former was documented & unapologetic, etc?  i don't really have a great answer there.  i just know white supremacist apologist is a hard line for me, and i try to appreciate how others can more easily separate the art from the artist, but, it's funny: those same wrongs helped him write those songs 

• Upvote 1

Clevergirl.gif

It's always context with this dude.

Legit question to the panel though: Are you taking umbrage because you think he's serious or because he's making unhelpful statements in a (speculative) deliberately provocative way? Trolling the media for exposure?

re your sidebar NZA-  I was thinking about this recently given the mercifully quick rise and fall of triple xxx tentacle or whatever his name was(by the time I sounded it out he was dead anyway) and where he sat on the artist V scumbag scale all artists reside on. Like literally bar graphing out behaviours versus the music they created will help you figure out what you can listen to guilt-free.

• 3 months later...

i'll just add this for anyone wondering how it got here/what this is about, as i've been pretty thoroughly done with dude for a bit now (and as donny pointed out, prolly should've started in that direction back with the "BILL COSBY INNOCENT!" fuckery)...taking this from an online friend 

Kanye is a narcissist. He loves himself quite a bit. The issue is that the only issue that excites or motivates Kanye (besides himself) is celebrity. How do you drive celebrity, how do you shock audiences, how do you maintain attention. His gravitation to Trump ties into this, given that Trump is clearly a master at these things. He doesn't care whether he gets negative attention, all that matters is that people are paying attention to him, and he is maintaining relevance. It's not a coincidence that he does/say these things right when it's time to sale albums. He knows his musical career is damaged. When he released the last album, he complained that radio didn't play his music; radio responded by...not playing his music. So this time he whips out Lil Pump, 69, XXX, etc and suddenly he's getting airplay again. But the actual music seems secondary to creating music that gets him the attention he wants. The Kanye who obsessed over every second of a beat, every snare or hi hat or 808...that dude is gone. 

Even with his recent tweet saying he meant to say amend (as I predicted earlier in the thread)...it's clear that someone told him these things. And because he's a fucking dumbass he made a ridiculous tweet that showed he didn't understand what he was told. Now that person has corrected him. He's clearly someone who puts little to no thought into these things. All that matters is the response.

put another way:

Just saw his SNL S43 opener performances and they were...lacking, to say the least. I feel like he's trying to put out a message of positivity with the last two tracks, but he's falling short. Also listened to that 7 song EP he put out with Cudi over the summer and found it pretty forgettable. Sad. 

My kid has food anxiety and eats from a list of about four things. 

What this means is that any variation of those foods, whether cosmetic or nutritional is unpalatable and she's not having a bar of it if it's anywhere near her dinner.

We found a way around this using what's called a 'safe' plate, from which she's not obliged to partake, but we make it as engaging and interesting as possible for her so when she's feeling brave she can try something she'd previously written off based on a bad experience or completely figmentary complaint( because again, she's three and the sum total of all the knowledge she's accrued with her tools up to this point).

Find your safe plate, and learn to love art for the first time*.

Statement reflective of general artist boycotts, not Kanye's MAGA affiliation.[

:lush:it's not wrong...i just quietly loathe the liberal attempt to whitewash bush jur as a good guy now because he passed a losange to michelle obama at mccain's funeral or whatever. 

put aside that he's been directly calling GOP senators to push for kavanaugh: whether it was cheney's baby or not, he openly used his power to push for the iraqi war, which directly & indirectly caused the death of thousands and the creation of isis.  no, trump being a fascist doesn't suddenly make him cool in comparison, he's a shit. 

...but kanye would very happily fistbump him for an IG pic (if he could) and simultaneously say it's for the culture/denounce "cancel culture" in the process, all in an attempt to stay relevant, because fuck dead mulsims and anything else involved, he just wants to the the stream #'s that younger artists do.

his mother taught african american studies and we're only seeing this fuckery because a) she's long gone b) the kardashians don't give a fuck so long as it gives clicks/appears "relevant" (nobody knows what it means, but it's provactive! it gets the people going!") c) nobody can tell ye nothing, so long as alt-right darlings like candace owens, charlie kirk etc are in his ear telling him historically horrendous shit that keeps getting him noticed when regurgitating.  

regardless of how you feel about dude's music, it's pretty clear he's willing to sacrifice whatever - racial justice for chicago, LGBT rights (which he proudly stood for when his momma was around), etc - so long as it keeps his 40 something year old ass trending.  he's apeing trump's model, cause that's all that matters to either of them - talk.