Hondo's Bar

Watchmen: The End is Nigh

Mortiis558

Played through the Rorschach story today when the game was released. It's a decent, if not short, brawler. There is an achievement for beating the game in 80 minutes if that means anything. You start with a few combos and you find tokens through the 6 levels that upgrade various abilities and give you different combos. It also has a co-op mode.

Story is basically fluff

You try to find Woodward and Berstein who are later found dead, Nixon wins re-election, Comedian is up to no good, yada yada.

But it is good they didn't really try to make more than it should be.

My main problem, and one I hope doesn't pervade into the movie, is that Rorschach is made into a conspiracy theory nut job (in my eyes). He also makes an odd comment about Doc Manhattan "That blue freak makes my skin crawl." Which seems very OOC for him. But that is just personal bickering I guess.

So is it worth $20? I'd have to say no. It looks good, it plays decently enough, but If you try you could get every achievement and play through both stories (which I doubt differ that much content wise) in about 3 hours. 3 Hours and you're completely done. There is really no reason to replay either IMO. So if you have 1600 points you don't know what to do with AND you think Watchmen is the greatest story ever written, try the demo first. If you want 5 more levels of pretty much the same thing you did in level 1, buy the game.

Played the demo, it's not bad. I completely agree with Rorschach seeming out of character, he's a little too right-wing nut job. Especially considering this takes place before the incident with the kidnapped girl and the German shepherds.

Dunno why this never occurred to me until I played this game, but Rorschach and Nite Owl are kinda like Batman split into two people. Like if you popped them both into a genetic transmogrification machine or made them fuck and have a child, it would be Batman. But that has nothing to do with this game.

Not sure if I'm gonna grab this anytime soon, $20 seems pretty steep for what would prob'ly amount to an afternoons worth of entertainment.

Played the demo, it's not bad. I completely agree with Rorschach seeming out of character, he's a little too right-wing nut job. Especially considering this takes place before the incident with the kidnapped girl and the German shepherds.

Dunno why this never occurred to me until I played this game, but Rorschach and Nite Owl are kinda like Batman split into two people. Like if you popped them both into a genetic transmogrification machine or made them fuck and have a child, it would be Batman. But that has nothing to do with this game.

Not sure if I'm gonna grab this anytime soon, $20 seems pretty steep for what would prob'ly amount to an afternoons worth of entertainment.

Rorschach is more like the post-Miller psycho-ninja-IM-THE-GODDAMN-BATMAN Batman that has generally become accepted, Nite Owl is more the original more well-thought and reserved Batman that was more of a high tech detective then some crazy bastard in a cape and cowl whose only information gathering tool is hanging people upside-down off of buildings.

Though in reality they're based off of The Question and Blue Beetle who I think predated Batman, but that's not the point.

80 minutes? Twenty dollars are better spent elsewhere if that's the game's aced length, I'd say. I could spend eight bucks for 80 minutes of the actual movie.

*Needs a job, probably.*

I assume that's when you know what you're doing. Old school beat 'em ups weren't all that long, and when you got good, you could rape in 'em. Hell I can burn through Streets of Rage in like a half hour.

Still not sure if I want to drop the 20 on it though. Rorscharch's moves make it tempting.

It would be so cool if during the middle of the game you could press a button and The Comedian pulls up in a car and bazookas all the enemies on the screen.

I'd have already bought it if you could do that shit.

I hear they are planning more games with different characters. A Comedian one would be SWEET!!!

In a sick, depraved sort of way.

Rorschach is more like the post-Miller psycho-ninja-IM-THE-GODDAMN-BATMAN Batman that has generally become accepted, Nite Owl is more the original more well-thought and reserved Batman that was more of a high tech detective then some crazy bastard in a cape and cowl whose only information gathering tool is hanging people upside-down off of buildings.

Though in reality they're based off of The Question and Blue Beetle who I think predated Batman, but that's not the point.

That's exactly what I'm saying, there is a certain duality to Batman. Miller's batman and, say, Steve Englehart or Dennis O'Neil's are quite different, but they're the same character. Rorschach and Nite Owl together pretty much cover the bases of the Batman persona.

I wasn't implying that they're based on him, I'm pretty well versed in my history of Charlton comics. Neither predates Batman, though Blue Beetle first appeared the same year. As far as I know The Question didn't exist until the late 60's. But that's irrelevant.

Since it came up, I gotta say I'm happy that Moore wasn't allowed to use those old Charlton guys, I really don't think I'd be able to take the book as seriously if Dr. Manhattan was Captain Atom. Captain Atom can suck my balls.

Since it came up, I gotta say I'm happy that Moore wasn't allowed to use those old Charlton guys, I really don't think I'd be able to take the book as seriously if Dr. Manhattan was Captain Atom. Captain Atom can suck my balls.

You'd have to admit that The Question as a raving lunatic killing people would have been fucking awesome though.

Agreed. Captain Atom can suck balls.

Whatever editor decide against using the Charlton heroes, I salute you. We wouldn't have these awesome, iconic characters without you.

I don't know the Charlston heroes have come into their own via DC now, or at least the ones that don't blow. Moore could have easilBy done it with them, shit he could have easily done it with Marvel Heroes. (Silver Surfer, Moon Knight, Captain America, Black Widow, and Iron-Man) The characters are only as iconic as the writing behind them.

I don't know the Charlston heroes have come into their own via DC now, or at least the ones that don't blow. Moore could have easilBy done it with them, shit he could have easily done it with Marvel Heroes. (Silver Surfer, Moon Knight, Captain America, Black Widow, and Iron-Man) The characters are only as iconic as the writing behind them.

Agreed 100%. Miracleman is a great example, the original Miracleman (or Marvelman) is fucking retarded. Nothing more than a poorly conceived British rip-off of Captain Marvel. Alan Moore made that goofy bastard shine brighter than any other super hero book at the time imo.

I'm sure Watchmen would have still been a great book with the other characters, but we would also have all this shitty continuity before it. We would have to explain "Yes, Captain Atom is gay as fuck, but he's really cool in Watchmen" etc etc.

Plus, at this point, that would mean sequel fodder for those animals in Hollywood.

Archived