Hondo's Bar

Watchmen Sequel Unlikely

Fans should plan to savor every visual morsel when "Watchmen" swoops into movie theaters Friday because the subversive superheroes of the landmark comic book series may never return to the big screen.

"There's no way I would be involved in a sequel or prequel," said director Zack Snyder, who turned the graphic novel "300" into a 2007 blockbuster.

"Will they make one? I have no idea how you would. The work is the work. This movie is about ideas. Anything else you would do, if you did a sequel to it, misses the point entirely of what 'Watchmen' is," he said.

It's unclear whether Warner Bros. would ever take a cue from Dr. Manhattan, the blue-hued superbeing played by Billy Crudup who smoothly proclaims in the comic and the movie that "nothing ever ends." Jeff Robinov, president of Warner Bros. production, declined to be interviewed for this story.

"Contractually, we are obligated," Crudup said. "I will do it. I just don't know what it is we would do."

Unlike superheroes with superhistories like "Batman" or "Spider-Man," decades worth of "Watchmen" source material doesn't exist.

In the 1980s, illustrator Dave Gibbons and writer Alan Moore (who has said he doesn't want to be associated with a "Watchmen" film) crafted only 12 chapters of the comic book-turned-graphic novel.

The nearly three-hour R-rated movie is faithful to the original novel, leaving almost nothing on the cutting room floor except "Tales of the Black Freighter," a comic-within-the-comic woven throughout "Watchmen." It will be released March 24 on DVD as an animated short film along with "Under the Hood," the tell-all memoir from "Watchmen."

Beyond that, Snyder can't envision any cinematic additions to the mythos.

"What? In the next movie, they redeem themselves?" Snyder said. "To continue is to either rehash the same idea again or you're going to try to fix the characters, which goes against everything the book stands for, or you could pick up new characters _ or I don't know what. To me, philosophically, it just doesn't make sense."

The only plan to truly expand the "Watchmen" universe is in the virtual world. Warner Bros. is releasing "Watchmen: The End Is Nigh," a downloadable video game for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Andy Abramovici, the game's senior producer, said it was created with input from Gibbons and original comic editor Len Wein.

"What we all decided was the most prudent route to go down was to take some hints from the original story and explore those and what the allusions in the book meant to those characters, so our villain in the game is mentioned once or twice very briefly in the 12 issues, but because he is mentioned the way that he is, we kinda riffed on that," Abramovici said.

The game was originally intended as a full-length interactive version of the film, but Abramovici said it was later pared down to two downloadable episodes because of production constraints. Set before the movie takes place, players can brawl as either gadget-happy Nite Owl or manic Rorschach, who have teamed up to take down the villainous Underboss.

On the big screen, "Watchmen" could be the first blockbuster of the year. When Snyder's "300" charged into movie theaters around the same time in March 2007, it took home $70.9 million.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Media By Numbers, believes "Watchmen" could snag a similar response on opening weekend.

"I think 'Watchmen' has a shot at posting solid numbers," Dergarabedian said. "The marketing is great. The release date is perfect. The fanboys are clamoring for it, and it's got a cool factor, too. I think 'The Dark Knight' opened the door last year for audiences. People are probably going through superhero withdrawal, and 'Watchmen' is just the fix."

A prequel or sequel might make a sound investment if "Watchmen" does well. The Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" soared into 2008's No. 1 spot at the box office with $533 million; "Spider-Man 3" took in $336.5 million in 2007.

While a possible prequel about the Minutemen _ the superhero team that came before the Watchmen _ may make financial sense, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays seasoned "Watchmen" superhero The Comedian, says it would be creative suicide.

"The fans would kill us if we tried to go and do something else," Morgan said. "If we tried to do a prequel that wasn't written by Alan Moore, we'd get crucified. We couldn't walk down the street. Unless Warner Bros. wants all of their actors to get killed, I think it's a bad idea."

Well duh, no sequel but WB will be adopting Rorschach and Nite Owl's early years into a primetime scif-fi drama in the CW starring Zack Effron as Nite Owl, Drake Bell as Rorschach, Michael Rosenbaum as Dr. Manhattan, and Ravin Simone as Silk Specter. Naturally they'll fit it into a high school setting.

Tonight... on a very special Watchmen... Silk Spectre starts to fall for an unlikely friend. And twilight's Robert Pattinson guest stars as The Comedian.

Cue a cover of "I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me" sung by Samantha Mumba. Dramatic shots of all of the main characters.

Rorschach: Mouldy baloney sandwich in freezer this morning, thumprint on cheese. This school's afraid of me, I've seen its true face. The people in this school will one day foam up about their classroom drama and all the cheerleaders and the jocks and politicians will look up and say "Help me with my homework!"... And I'll whisper "no."

Silk Spectre: Oh Rory, I love it when you get all poetic.

R: Somebody's shoving costumed heroes in lockers and I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

SS: Oh you're so heroic we should totally bang, but only after we're married. Unless it helps the ratings!

R: Hurm

<Door kicks open, Comedian rushes in.>

Comedian: OH GEE LOOK AT THE TIME IT's ALMOST RAPE THIRTY!

SS: Oh, Comedian you sexy brooding beast. Rape me like you did my mother who's played by an actress like 6 years older than me!

C: No problem, toots. *wink*

<Cue Rorschach walking down the hallway, "How to Save a Life" is playing dramatically over the top while it intersperes with scenes of rape.>

Dr. Manhattan: This isn't even in continuity with the comics.

<Ozymandius played by Travis Van Winkle shoves DM down.>

OZY: Stupid blue pencil dick freak. You gave everybody cancer

<DM runs away crying and exhiles himself in the girl's bathroom on the third floor.>

<SS walks in>

SS: Dr. Manhattan, why are you in here you? Are you a pervert? Is that why you're always naked?

DM: I gave everybody cancer!

SS: I slept with Nite Owl.

Nite Owl: <Random shot in locker room in a different part of the school humping air> Boo-yah!

DM: You slept with Nite Owl?!

SS: ...And The Comedian... and Rorschach... Ozymandius... Moloch... Big Figure... That guy at the newstand... Hollis Mason...

DM: Wow you're a whore.

SS: But I was thinking of you the whole time!

DM: That totally redeems you for everything, you're once again the wholesome girl next door even if your Vagina is probably the size of the Chunnel by now!

SS: Let's make out!

<Comedian busts in.>

C: GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS!?!

<dramatic overlude, cut to credits>

They could do a sci-fi epic tale of one man's vision of fucking himself to create a new race of identical quasi-humans in a far far away galaxy. Then the third movie (they always have to be trilogies now a days) could take place in a dystopian future where the Watchmen have all been forgotten and Doc Manhattan comes back as a omniscient overlord to battle the sentient-kelp that has enslaved what is left of humanity. In the end he sacrifies himself (if that is even possible) to destroy the kelp, but really the kelp is what has been keeping humanity alive this long and in a blunder only possible by DM himself he ends up accidently killing all that is left of the human race. Saddened he then excises himself to another galaxy to start it all anew.

Damn I want some of what Frank Herbert was snorting....

the film definitely did the book justice on screen. although, a rorschach/nite owl prequel would be pretty cool...obviously not on the cw though. ;)

You pretend you don't wanna see Rorschach standing in a row boat wearing a blazer while the Dawson's Creek theme plays ominously, and I'll call you out for the liar you are.

You pretend you don't wanna see Rorschach standing in a row boat wearing a blazer while the Dawson's Creek theme plays ominously, and I'll call you out for the liar you are.

"I don't wanna wait for our lives to be ovahhh..."

So I'm straight on the analogy: Rory=Dawson, Nite Owl=Pacey, & Laurie=Joey?

What's really sad about this whole thing is that the two of you can talk about Dawson's Creek and actually know what the fuck you're talking about!!!

I know that there was a guy named Dawson and apparently he had a creek and there was a guy who was boning his teacher and there apparently problems of the high school variety (but that's a given since it's a WB show)

Dear God of Hollywood,

Should these thoughts of a Watchmen sequel ever manifest themselves in any physical form or action please allow me tear out your heart and put it on a pike for all to see.

Yours homicidally,

Crimsonfire.

If they do one I'm betting on Billy Baldwin as The Comedian, Ray Liotta as Dr. Manhattan, Christian Slater as Ozymandias, Jason Statham as Nite Owl, and Sarah Michelle Gellar as Silk Specter.

They'll call it Watchmen 2: The Search For Cash it will be directed by Uwe Boll and be part of a 3 part series where in part 3 they will fit the moon babies from the planet mars. It will be epic.

• 2 months later...
Well duh, no sequel but WB will be adopting Rorschach and Nite Owl's early years into a primetime scif-fi drama in the CW starring Zack Effron as Nite Owl, Drake Bell as Rorschach, Michael Rosenbaum as Dr. Manhattan, and Ravin Simone as Silk Specter. Naturally they'll fit it into a high school setting.

Tonight... on a very special Watchmen... Silk Spectre starts to fall for an unlikely friend. And twilight's Robert Pattinson guest stars as The Comedian.

Cue a cover of "I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me" sung by Samantha Mumba. Dramatic shots of all of the main characters.

Rorschach: Mouldy baloney sandwich in freezer this morning, thumprint on cheese. This school's afraid of me, I've seen its true face. The people in this school will one day foam up about their classroom drama and all the cheerleaders and the jocks and politicians will look up and say "Help me with my homework!"... And I'll whisper "no."

Silk Spectre: Oh Rory, I love it when you get all poetic.

R: Somebody's shoving costumed heroes in lockers and I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.

SS: Oh you're so heroic we should totally bang, but only after we're married. Unless it helps the ratings!

R: Hurm

<Door kicks open, Comedian rushes in.>

Comedian: OH GEE LOOK AT THE TIME IT's ALMOST RAPE THIRTY!

SS: Oh, Comedian you sexy brooding beast. Rape me like you did my mother who's played by an actress like 6 years older than me!

C: No problem, toots. *wink*

<Cue Rorschach walking down the hallway, "How to Save a Life" is playing dramatically over the top while it intersperes with scenes of rape.>

Dr. Manhattan: This isn't even in continuity with the comics.

<Ozymandius played by Travis Van Winkle shoves DM down.>

OZY: Stupid blue pencil dick freak. You gave everybody cancer

<DM runs away crying and exhiles himself in the girl's bathroom on the third floor.>

<SS walks in>

SS: Dr. Manhattan, why are you in here you? Are you a pervert? Is that why you're always naked?

DM: I gave everybody cancer!

SS: I slept with Nite Owl.

Nite Owl: <Random shot in locker room in a different part of the school humping air> Boo-yah!

DM: You slept with Nite Owl?!

SS: ...And The Comedian... and Rorschach... Ozymandius... Moloch... Big Figure... That guy at the newstand... Hollis Mason...

DM: Wow you're a whore.

SS: But I was thinking of you the whole time!

DM: That totally redeems you for everything, you're once again the wholesome girl next door even if your Vagina is probably the size of the Chunnel by now!

SS: Let's make out!

<Comedian busts in.>

C: GUESS WHAT TIME IT IS!?!

<dramatic overlude, cut to credits>

I would watch WB/CW/WTF/LULZTV/PUKEINMYMOUTH If that ever got made!! But only if you were to write every episode k?

Archived