Hondo's Bar

Wanted: Weapons of Fate

Thelogan

I just finished playing the demo. I was hoping it was based on the comic, since he's in costume. No such luck. It seems to take place directly after the movie.

My impressions: It has some novel mechanics, bullet curving it rather cool (hold down bumper, use the stick to adjust your angle, release). There's a heavy emphasis on cover and quickly moving to different cover locations. You have a meter which lets you do the special moves, bullet curving and triggering slow-mo while moving between cover, allowing you to unload a few dozen rounds while you're exposed.

The demo is rather short (I highly suggest anyone playing it do the 3 tutorials located in the options menu first). The level I played is very linear, if that's gonna be how the entire game is it's not a good sign.

I'm very wary of any type of movie tie-in game, but since this one wasn't rushed to coincide with any theater/dvd releases it gets a little more attention from me.

All in all it may very well be better than the film, but so is bowel cancer.

I thought the first 20 minutes of the movie were pretty damn entertaining. For me it peaked when the shattered keyboard keys spelled out "Fuck you", then I started losing interest.

Taken on its own maybe it wouldn't have been that bad, but compared to the comic it suuuuucks. Which pretty much validates your stance of not reading the source material.

The film was mediocre fun, the comic was mediocre fun, your preference just comes down to which you think was more and which was less. As for the game I go with my initial comment that it looks like Max Payne 3 and seeing as Max Payne 1 and 2 were mindless gunfucks then this too must be.

I swear I'ma ban you from every damn Wanted thread on this site.

Hey, Fucker. I tried to watch that goddamned movie if only to pay lip service to you. It's not my fault you can only get hard for truly terrible cinematic experiences.

The very core of the issue is this: Wanted the comic was a unique, if certainly cheap & low brow experience. Wanted the Movie was a generic ooze of testosterone from Bruce Willis' liver-spotted sphincter that we've seen a hundred thousand times, possibly the only distinction is the clumsy fucking mockery of Millar's dialogue combined with effects made famous by the Watchowski Bros ten fucking years ago.

TO get back on topic now, Wanted the Game looks like an attempt at a Gear cover emphasis with none of the values that make Gears work, like decent melee or even a working firing from cover.

Archived