Hondo's Bar

Country music

The NZA

1236733263.jpg

if i had a dollar for "i'll listen to most any kind of music, except country", i could pay my student loans. Which is kinda understandable, cause i dont think we even agree on what's meant by the genre sometimes.

I'm a huge fan of Cash and what i consider Honky-Tonk cowboy shit like Marty Robbins, some Chris LeDoux, The Highwaymen, Hank Williams Jr etc when i'm in the mood, and we could do a whole thread on Bluegrass.

But, somewhere along the way, to basically paraphrase Cash, Tennessee decided modern country should sound "like pop with a southern twang." Now, i'm not wholly against this; i may not dig Shania Twain but i was all into the Dixie Chicks. When i lived in Texas, however, i took a bit to the more traditional-sounding artists like Alan Jackson, George Strait and the occasional Toby Keith, though i think he's the one that rubbed me the wrong way for feeling kinda exploitative post 9-11, could be wrong.

I could easily flood this thread with youtube Cash/Robbins shit, but for now, let's focus on modern country and see what (if anything) the lot of youse might enjoy.

for lack of ideas about modern shit to post, however, ill start things off with some of the older, but most generic/accepted shit that comes to mind.

The Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil went down to Georgia

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler (you suck hard if you dont dig this one)

Hurm. I'm not sure if I should contribute to this thread, since I really can't get into modern country. Never have been able to, reminds me of bad times and bad people. I'm sure it's a personal issue.

Now if you start talkin' pre 1960 or so I start to feel something, it's like old blues music for me; a lot of it speaks from the soul of the common people and that has a tendency to touch me. I can totally dig on some Hank Williams (Sr.) and some Patsy Cline, to name a few well known examples.

Does Johnny Rebel count? That guy makes me roll with laughter every time without fail. I'm sure it has something to do with growing up in the south.

"if i had a dollar for "i'll listen to most any kind of music, except country", i could pay my student loans. Which is kinda understandable, cause i dont think we even agree on what's meant by the genre sometimes. "

Agreed completely.

"I'm a huge fan of Cash and what i consider Honky-Tonk cowboy shit like Marty Robbins, some Chris LeDoux, The Highwaymen, Hank Williams Jr etc when i'm in the mood, and we could do a whole thread on Bluegrass."

Good bands there, I've listened to all of em, and Marty Robbins has a fuckin badass voice.

"But, somewhere along the way, to basically paraphrase Cash, Tennessee decided modern country should sound "like pop with a southern twang." Now, i'm not wholly against this; i may not dig Shania Twain but i was all into the Dixie Chicks. When i lived in Texas, however, i took a bit to the more traditional-sounding artists like Alan Jackson, George Strait and the occasional Toby Keith, though i think he's the one that rubbed me the wrong way for feeling kinda exploitative post 9-11, could be wrong."

Wow, I still pretty much agree with everything you wrote(except I never liked Dixie Chicks).

"I could easily flood this thread with youtube Cash/Robbins shit, but for now, let's focus on modern country and see what (if anything) the lot of youse might enjoy."

Well, I tend to prefer what these days is referred to amongst fans as "Americana" or "Texas Country", a lot of shit you won't hear on the radio, a lot of it you can't even easily find on Youtube and such. Some examples are guys like Steve Earle, Chris Knight, Robert Earl Keen, Mark David Manders, Ray Wiley Hubbard...plus a lot of the old school guys you mentioned(Cash, Robbins, etc) tend to be played more by stations that play "Americana" more than on the actual country stations. Marty Stuart's semi-recent album Badlands(semi-concept album about Native Americans, Cash had some input on the album as well) is pretty damn good too, the 9 minute "Three Chiefs" being a standout song.

Here's a personal favorite, not new per se(early 90's) but still more modern country than old school masters like Cash and Robbins. I love the build up in the song, I love the attitude, it's a personal fave country song from any era, so here's a little:

Steve Earle-Copperhead Road

Now some others:

Chris Knight-Down the River(story song, it's kinda long)

Robert Earl Keen-The Road Goes On Forever(I woulda preferred Shades of Grey but I could only find crap live ones on Youtube. A little FYI, this song has been covered by Joe Ely, The Highwaymen, and others, but it is Keen's song, he wrote it and did it first)

Edited by DKS01

Well, I like a lot of the strengths of country, good storytelling, great imagery, and often a great sense of irreverence, but once it passes a certain point I just cease enjoying it. I do think I am often hung up on the heavy southern drawl in some songs, it's weird, I can deal with a bit just fine, but I reach a threshold that I can't quite quantify and it all goes to shit.

Props on the two songs that Nick picked as those are two of the three country songs I love without exception. The third is this one, which again if you don't like, you have no soul.

Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver

Edited by bishopcruz

To Nick and Danny: WORD

I don't like modern country. It's pop and pop can suck my dick. Or, the correct term would be country hits. The stuff that KSCS plays on the radio.

Modern bluegrass however makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I love Tony Trishka, Emmylou Harris, Allison Krauss, and Old Crow Medicine Show. Johnny Rebel is indeed fun and I get a giggle out of Ray Wylie Hubbard. Admittedly, the last three aren't bluegrass. Old Crow Medicine Show fits more comfortably into the blue grass niche but Ray Wylie Hubbard strikes me more as you say, Nick, honkey tonk.

I think the term ballads can be applied to what you have referred to as the more traditional, Custer. Those like George Strait, Alan Jackson, some Garth Brooks, etc are things you're just as likely to hear in a small bar that keeps Schlitz on tap as you are to hear Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, and Merle Haggard.

My opinion? Country pre-95 was good. After that, only bluegrass is worth anything.

I used to live in West Virginia, and I've heard Country Roads more times than I can count, and I still love it. Rock Band had a 2nd country music 5-pack a few weeks ago labeled "Alt Country"

"3 Dimes Down" Drive-By Truckers

"Can't Let Go" Lucinda Williams

"People Got a Lotta Nerve" Neko Case

"Time Bomb (Live)" Old 97s

"Satellite Radio" Steve Earle

I didn't buy it, but I listened to all the songs and they are pretty fun.

I used to live in West Virginia, and I've heard Country Roads more times than I can count, and I still love it. Rock Band had a 2nd country music 5-pack a few weeks ago labeled "Alt Country"

"3 Dimes Down" Drive-By Truckers

"Can't Let Go" Lucinda Williams

"People Got a Lotta Nerve" Neko Case

"Time Bomb (Live)" Old 97s

"Satellite Radio" Steve Earle

I didn't buy it, but I listened to all the songs and they are pretty fun.

Yeah, "alt country" is another term for lot of the stuff I listen to, including the songs I posted above. I see Earle made it in that pack, and I'm familiar with the other artists as well, heh.

And yeah Amber, Ray Wylie is definitely more honky tonk, not bluegrass. But there's still good country post-'95, you just gotta know where to look.

Oh, and John Denver and his country roads can fuck right off though, that dude knew about as much about "country" as I know about livin' the thug life.

I agree, Denver was in a class of his own which dont not equate to anything country... and I call it "easy listening".

Bluegrass is a very different genre all on its own too. I cant really listen to it, unless its Vince Gill for some reason.

I do like the pop'ier country of modern day, but the whole "my truck broke down by the rest area, and my wiiiiife is pickin' ne up in her 57 chevy" type twang can be left on cassette and let die.

I will admit that I did like Sawyer Brown "some girls do", Randy Travis and a 3rd of his stuff, and even Aaron Tiptons "their aint nothin' wrong with the radio" catchy songs as a kid. I cant access youtube on this work comp... bc this work comp is gay. I will have to log in under my lappy in a min and post some stuff.

Yes modern country can be split into:

Songs about Drinking

Songs about Fucking

Songs about Drinking and Fucking

Songs about Cheating (always sung by women)

Songs about Fucking Up Relationships (almost always sung by men)

Songs about getting knocked up in highschool (always sung by Kenny Chesney)

Songs about How Things Were Better In The Old Days

Songs about How America is Fucking Awesome

The fact is, I can kinda see why Bluegrass treats country music like the weird cousin with warts. Country music has become the creepy uncle who always elbows you when he tells bad jokes and invites you into the game closet to show you something. And do you know who I blame?

Shania Twain and Tim McGraw, both of whom have a veritable catalog of shit that spans their entire career. Kenny Chesney also makes the list but he's not the cause, just one of the symptoms.

Toby Keith once had talent, I swears, I remember songs he wrote that weren't about drinking and fucking long long ago. The fact is the good ones usually suck after a few years these days, that's why I'm glad that Garth Brooks had the decency to retire before we all got too sick of him.

Josh Turner looks to have filled the hole that Randy Travis once occupied in both voice, style, and hit and miss song stylings.

Big and Rich are actually good artists when they're not too occupied huffing paint and acting like tards, but listen to Holy Water, Deadwood Mountain, or Live This Life and tell me that that isn't how country music is supposed to sound.

I like the modernized Trick Pony , on a night like this, which oddly enough the full version i couldnt find on youtube, so this heartache song will have to do.

I also like rascal flatts... though I thought the lead singer was a woman... guess someone stepped on his balls as a kid.

and my one of my fav groups in my kiddo days sawyer brown

aaaand I spied some aaron tippin

• 2 weeks later...
Undeniably country. Such a pretty little song too.

I hope I don't have to go to Heaven...

:villain:

I know, it speaks to the soul of the "everyman" and touches upon the social matters that really count in today's day and age. Not just another "woe is me" song, it's a song that really delves into the deeper nature of humanity. Anyone who isn't moved by this wonderful song needs to check their pulse.

To get this thread SLIGHTLY back on track, here's some actual country songs that are just intended to be good songs...

Marty Robbins was mentioned in the original post, here's a cover by Brian Burns of the Robbins song, Ballad of the Alamo. I liked the original, and I like this one too:

Waylon Jennings-The Ghost of General Lee(it's a rare song of his, a lot of people not heard it)

Ray Wylie Hubbard-Wanna Rock and Roll(yeah, it's a live version, and in the middle of it he goes into one of his other songs before coming back to the main song, but it's all that I could find on Youtube. Sure, it's a song about jealousy and cheating, but I'll be damned if it's not the most badass country song on the subject. "Last night I went downtown to a little place called Johnny's Last Stand, through the blues and the smoke I saw her on the dance floor, she's with another man. The dead man's name was Louie DuPris, I pushed a little button on my knife, I walked up to 'em said hello boys and girls, have you enjoyed your lives")

Edited by DKS01

Bleh, I liked this thread more when it was actually discussing the topic rather than posting songs written by morons just trying to "shock" or offend people with their lyrics.

I liked you more when you SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Nah, I'm just playin' with ya fucknuts. But I don't think anyone's intention was to "shock" or offend people, merely entertain. And mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned. But alright, I'll contribute without "shock"ing or offending.

Here's one I always considered country, which I'm sure some people would love to debate with me. I'm not interested. Sounds like a country song to me.

While searching for a video I was reminded that this song is on Rock Band, so I'm just gonna use one of those vids.

And one that isn't debatable.

• 2 years later...

I just want to make some comments on this thread because I love country music (all types) and want to add whatever the hell I want about it because I can! :)

Country music has gotten dipped into the pop sound in more recent years and that's why it has become so "pop"-ular. However, believe it or not, there are different categories for country music. Here's a few with artists for reference:

1. Country Rock: Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead (it's true, look it up), Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band

2. Bluegrass: Red Foley, Kentucky Thunder

3. Outlaw: Willie Nelson, Hank, Jr., David Alan Coe

4. Honky Tonk: Hank Williams, Sr., Al Dexter,

5. Nashville: Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard

6. Country Rap: Colt Ford, Bottleneck, Moccasin Creek

6. New Pop Country: Leanne Rhimes, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, Brantley Gilbert, Faith Hill,

Jason Aldean, Reba McIntyre, Keith Urban, Sugarland, Lady Antebellum, Zac Brown Band, Diamond Rio, Rascall Flatts, Lonestar,

Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, George Straight, Randy Travis, Brad Paisley, Jake Owens, Trace Adkins, Rodney Atkins, David Nail,

Josh Turner, etc.

I could keep going on & on with #6, but the point is clear. No matter how much people knock this genre, it is the fastest growing genre of music out at this moment. Certain artists and certain songs are not only being aired on country stations anymore. You can hear them on lots of other radio stations. Yes, new country isn't "country" by old standards, but all music evolves. I guarantee more people who have never listened to country know at least one song or two out by a country artist right now.

A lot of people say they can listen to anything, "but" country. BUT, I bet you know all the words to a country song! Ever heard of Jimmy Buffet? Uh-huh! He's country! ;)

again, i dig the first 3-4 categories at least, but when you get into classic rock and stuff like Dylan...doesn't that usually count as "folk" or do you think that bleeds over? cause say, Simon & Garfunkel, i don't see how that'd be country by any metric.

I grew up listening to country music and most of it I can't fucking stand. I guess southern classic rock is sorta country? Lynard Skynard and ZZ Top are two I can listen to, moreso ZZTop. Johnny Cash of course too. I like the Allman Brothers also.

Edited by axel_napalm

I think that's a boat a lot of Texans are in. You grow up with the stuff saturating everywhere you go. It's the default musical genre for anyone you don't know. You know kids in school who aren't even allowed to listen to anything else.

At some point, usually pretty early, you just go "Fuck this shit".

• 2 weeks later...