Hondo's Bar

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

gunsmithx

Ok 11 pages and I didn't see a thread for this so I'm starting one.

Tylor is the story of a group of misfits who come together under the their loveble bumbling captain to save the universe. I'm sure your saying to yourself, I've heard this story before, but not the way tylor tells it.

The at it's core isn't anything new(but what is) but it's so well put together and goes in directions that you dont' always see and has, as george puts it, a ton of heart. The series is a joy to watch and contains what is proabbly the single greatest space battle ever(and I really truely mean that) It's something any fan of anime should watch. that said the series is now very hard to get a hold off due to the fact that it's out of print but I did just pick up the box set. the tv show is 26 episodies and a 10 episode OAV follows it. It's something we'll proabbly show at these upcoming anime nights so I wanted to throw it out there for people.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of the greatest animes I have ever seen. I enjoyed everything about this show. Seeing him and the crew blunder their way through some of the most unlikely of circumstances is very entertaining. Like Gunsmith said it has a ton of heart, and I'll add it is both fun and funny. A must see for anyone who likes anime, and even if you don't you may enjoy this one.

I still haven't seen the OAVs, though I do own the main series. Got the boxset, came with all sorts of extra goodies... but anyway, how are the OAVs? Are they important?

I think the OAV's were just more of the same. It's been a few years since I watched any of Captain Tylor but I dont remember them being too important, just a little side story. And where is everyone getting box sets from? I haven't checked online (i thought it was still Jap only) and I have never seen a box set anywhere else. Are they legitimate Sub/Dub's?

I think the OAV's were just more of the same. It's been a few years since I watched any of Captain Tylor but I dont remember them being too important, just a little side story. And where is everyone getting box sets from? I haven't checked online (i thought it was still Jap only) and I have never seen a box set anywhere else. Are they legitimate Sub/Dub's?

Yeah, RightStuf international did the official licensing junk. The box sets came out years and years ago, though... I think they aren't currently in print anymore.

THE reason to get the OAV set is the final movie, which finishes it all off perfectly and really, really gets you where you live.

I love this series, though now that I think about it, considering its an aged ship with a misfit crew on its own against an alien menace. It's kinda like Battlestar Galactica, only with hope, joy and laughter. Not, y'know crushing depression and psychosis.

Still, no other series has the cast, plot, and just plain fun that Tylor exhibited.

One of the best of all time, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the box set on friday and have spent time watching the series over, and it's just such an amzing series so much fun and full of heart. Honestly if you havn't watched this you owe it to yourself to watch it, there's a new remasted set coming out in april I think.

Archived