Hondo's Bar

Guns

Mortiis558

Well I didn't know where this topic should belong but I guess this is just as good as any other place. All this talk about guns and gun control in relation to the Oakland shooting has made me realize that I myself do not yet own any guns. So before Obama and all the democrats take away my right to own assualt rifles and hollow point rounds I need to make a few purchases.

Seriously though, I am wanting to purchase a handgun. I went to a gun store today and tried out a couple that I though would be good. The guys weren't very helpful so I was wondering if anyone on here could reccomend a few handguns. My favorite gun I saw was a Walther P22 (.22 caliber) pistol. I wasn't able to try it out so I don't know how it shoots. I tried a Kahr .40 caliber, a 9mm Glock, a .40 caliber Glock and a 38 special revolver. The .40 caliber guns have a little too much kick for my taste but I shot best with the .40 caliber glock out of those 3. So I would like a hangun that has a smaller caliber than .40 and I don't really want a revolver. I would also like a gun that my wife would be able to use without too much trouble. I would also like a gun that is pretty accurate (above and beyond our skills at shooting) and is good quality. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

wait wait wait...

you're advocating the entire disarmament of the United States in one thread and talking about buying guns in this one?

:pulls up a chair:

Go on. I'll give you the chance to explain yourself and give my head a chance at not exploding.

edit for fuck all stupid ass merging of a post after a post. :mad:Already have a thread on guns, have about 3 really.HERE

I sold all of my guns and yesterday I purchased a new gun with the combo of defense purpose and concealment carry in mindI bring to you the Springfield XD .40 caliber sub-compact l_757316571f1448a48149cb03fd7d9628.jpg=================================It resembles the glock, but it clearly isnt a glock. I personall hate glocks. This gun has a trigger and a handle safety. This also has a loaded chamber indicator at the top of the slide, which you can see, and even feel if it were dark. My fav feature is that it has a cocked indicator as well, by a silver pin that protrudes a tad on the rear of the slide (where the hammer normally is for hammer visible guns), this indicator can be seen since its silver against the black (bleu) finish and can be felt as well if its dark.As you can tell, its rather small, so I added a Pearce grip extender which looks like this seen at the bottom of this weapon, aka the pinky extender. (this is the XD9 but same frame as the 40)XD9.gif=================================this gun also comes with a half holster , mag carrying holster, and a speed loader. Gun also includes a high capacity mag which holds 12 rounds in the mag, and has a extender piece as seen in the gun itself in this pic, I dont like it, which is why I use the Pearce grip extender in my 9 round mag.XD9801HCSP06.jpg==================================It also comes with a light rail, which means I can add a light and or laser to it, looking like this... and I prolly wont, but can.GXD9802HCSP06.jpg
Gunny, forgive my talk if I sound like I am baby talking to you with the way I explain things, this is geared toward general readers, while answering your questions.I used to love the hell out of Sig Sauers. I recommend sigs, as they are simple and good guns. Not flashy, not the most expensive... but they arent cheap.I owned the Sig 220, along with about 8 other guns... but the 220 is a big ass gun. If you are getting a CCW, I'd get a sub compact. I dont like 9mm all that much, but you need to go with what you are comfortable with. If you go 9, I'd fel out the ,357 then. The .380 is the smaller 9 and the .357 is the bigger 9. All 3 rounds use the same hunk of bullet, the shell (powder/power) is what differs between the 3. .357 is the most accurate version of the 9mm round. Tons of power, and surprisingly the most accurate of the 9 series. Goes through a car door with no issues at all. So my thoughts... go with the .357 if you go with a 9 sized round.I stand by the .45 cal. I am strictly a self defense preacher though. the .45 hydrashock round is gonna send the bad guy to his ass, and probably his death. The .40 isnt a bad round either, still has more bang than the .22 and 9 series. I got the XD .40 sub compact for 1 reason only, bc they dont make a 45 in subcompact... yet. Once they do, it will trade up for it. that was the ammo talk, as far as gun talk...Look into the Walther P380, they are mad cheap at the moment. Look at Kimbers, especially the Ultra Carry 2... my most fav gun, also one of the most expensive at the moment. I'd stay away from Smith and Wesson style guns, unless you are looking into wheel guns aka revolvers. Even though Smith and Walther merged, they are still seperate designs. Stay away from H&K's, in my opinion. Over priced glock wannabes. I'd check into Springfield, as they are what Glocks should be, of course in my opinion. Glocks, are failsafe guns, but dont offer what springfield offers.Karh makes a good product by word of mouth, but never owned one. Berettas are behind on the times, but their M9 is a good faithful gun. They have a new Px4, and it fires nice for its size. I have never fired a Taurus, but I find them to be Beretta wannabes. Rugers are tough as shit guns, and an awesome brand name, I just never owned one as personal taste in guns. If you arent gonna carry, get a full sized gun or one that feels full size to your hand (if you have smaller hands) bc if you are gonna use it for home defense, and you need to use it, your mechanics go to shit when your adrenaline peaks and you are having to shoot someone. You want a full size feel in your hand so you dont fumble around with it. So stay away from the pocket guns and neat lil 4 shooters and such. If you are gonna conceal, get a sub compact to compact size. Pocket guns are only neat cuz they are small... they arent neat when shit its the fan.

wait wait wait...

you're advocating the entire disarmament of the United States in one thread and talking about buying guns in this one?

:pulls up a chair:

Go on. I'll give you the chance to explain yourself and give my head a chance at not exploding.

Wow. It's like a male tomcat pissing on a tree as if to try to mark his territory. You may think you're contributing worthwhile content but really you're just leaving a stain and a stink that's really hard to wash away. You really need to work on your communication skills man, because every time I see you post, regardless of where it goes, you're laying into someone with your snide remarks, trying to talk above whoever it is you're lambasting, trying to be the bigger, more important dick. And when that doesn't work, you go on long rant after long rant until everyone just gives up. And when people get offended or pissed off, which is OFTEN, you wither like a daisy and claim you were just joking. It's not funny. You're not funny. And the "hey, let's act like a fictional character who made this joke funny six years ago and belittle someone by calling them a girl's name" bit wasn't funny when you started doing it, and it really isn't funny now.

So yeah, back to guns now. I've only been out shooting once and I have no clue about brands and styles of guns, but what I know is that the .45 handgun I got to use was absolutely fucking wonderful. Not too heavy, not too jarring of a kick back, as accurate as a first-time shooter can make it. If I was ever to invest in a handgun (Which I would like to do someday) I'd try to find one similar. Sig, maybe I'll drag you along when I decide to do it, get your opinion and advice.

<blink> I read the first post and quite clearly did not read anything that indicated whether Mortiis agreeed or disagreed with gun control, merely him stating that he wanted to buy one before he was no longer able to. Soooo, Arch, I think your response was a case of 'jumping the gun' Please pardon the puin. :P

Moving on, Mortiis, if a .40 cal is too much kick for you then I would recomend two options. I use a 380 Bersa. I love this pistol. It has several safety features which do not hinder with firing but are appreciated if you have children in your home as I did/do/might. The recoil is acceptable and I have fair degree of accuracy. Or, you might give a thought to a .40 cal targeted specifically for women. Don't let that deter you. The pistols are not pink and don't have anything remotely feminine about that other than their compact size.

Definitely steer cleer or .22's. In my personal opinion, they are suitable only for being carried in a ladies purse or stuffed under the seat of a car. They're good for close range but I would not feel comfortable with that in my closet. Also, something I've noticed with the small .22's that are made specifically for concealed carry in purses and such, they tend to jam. Kind of counter-productive.

Either way, that's my opinion on the matter.

If we're talking revolvers then yes, the majority of .22 revolvers are ment more as collectors items and small game (varmit) hunting. However there are also .22 rifles, which would not easily fit into a purse. Hell, a 454 double action revolver (although heavy) will fit into my purse easily. .22's come in many shapes and sizes, and the model and the make and care have more to do with jamming than the actual caliber.

.22's are also used for training, and are recommended for first time buyers by just about everyone I've ever had the pleasure of training with.

My first gun was a .22 rifle and until I could easily care for it and shoot it I didn't bother with higher calibers.

http://www.genitron.com/REV-22LR/22LR.html

I've met people who have jumped right into high caliber semi autos, with disatrous results.

Ah, rifles. I was speaking of handguns. I'm not sure, but I think Mortiis was as well. But yes, a .22 rifle is fine and never something I've had an issue with. I enjoy using rifles and have a higher dregree of accuracy with them than with handguns. And a .22 is perfect for training. It's a great first model. I learned to shoot also with a .22. I tend to find that the smaller ones I've used jam more often than larger models though, but maybe that is the manufactuerer. Cause come to think of it, they've been mostly Smith and Wessons. Or it could be the ammo... As I got a nasty batch of Federal several years ago. Not Federal's fault but mine for buying from a surplus outlet.

A .22 would be ideal if you're going to be defending yourself during the coming zombie apocalypse. Easy to carry large quantities of ammo, bullet would usually not have the power to exit the skull, so it would bounce around and fuck up the brain.

I can't make many worthwhile suggestions: I'm a sucker for high caliber monsters that make me feel like I have a big dick.

I just came on here to congratulate people for actually giving worthwhile on topic advice after Arch's attempted derailment.

i have a .45 Glock w/200 grain bullets (ready to knock down the hulk on coke) in my nightstand where i keep my underwear. it's kinda big for me, but it does the job. i wanna get a subcompact one that i could have any where. i've been looking into the smith & wesson m&p.

glock.jpg

bullet.jpg

The pic is hard to tell, but is your round a full metal jacket or a hollow point? Looks like a FMJ to me. If it is, I strongly suggest going with a hollow point. Hydra-shocks are the best IMO as they are hollow point AND haev a bead in the center that continues on like a FMJ. FMJ's go through your target and keep on going. Not the best for self defense. Really only good for target shooting as they are the cheapest type of higher caliber round.

Gold Dot and SPEER are the more popular brand, and F&B is a good one too. I've never had a problem with Federal, but they were just FMJs for target.

I would also recommend a lower grain round. 160 which is rare, and the most common out of the lower end is 180 grain. You want the bullet to stay inside the body, as it adds tot he trauma. Exit wound bullet injuries usually result in more shock, as your body is rushing to fight 2 holes instead of 1, which makes it harder for the nerves to 'clarify' the extent of the injury. The best way I heard it described as by a fire fighter who said "its like a heart atatck, ever notice that people say that their under arm (pits) hurt? The heart isnt in your underarm, but in your chest, but nerves dont know how to react to such a situation. Same goes with a gun shot victim. If there is an exit wound, yoru body is dealing with 2 gun shots really, when only its 1. So you will go into shock quicker and be able to still fight or run away easier than if you got shot once with a round that stayed in your body." I paraphrased what he said, but its got truth to it. The person who taught my concealment carry class said the same thing so to speak. You dont want exit wounds, you want rusty infection lingering around. Comical angle on a real deal.

so , FMJ and higher grain bullets = not as effective as hollow points and lower grain bullets, for self defense that is. If you target shoot and do competition, then you want higher grain so your bullet drops less as it has more ass end to it.

Mort, if you want a lower caliber round, go with a .380 ish... FDB is right, stay away from the .22. The walther p22 feels great, and their brand new p380 i think it is... feels almost identical. Check it out.

For those of you who want a defense gun, but dont want to get 'good' with it by shooting a lot or handle it a lot, I recommend getting a wheel gun. Revolvers worst case scenario is a missfire, which is 1 round... solution, pull the trigger again and your chamber cycles to the next round and you didnt have to unjam or recock your gun. If a semi auto jams or misfires, you have to cycle it. If you arent used to your gun, and you are in the middle of a fire fight, your mechanics go to hell and you dont know what to do. A little J frame revolver will do the trick. .38 special and company are great for beginners.

I stand by the .40 and .45 caliber rounds / semi-autos myself.

SPEER is an awesome brand. I always recommend high quality/pricey rounds... after all, it IS self defense.

kinda like beds... it IS a 3rd of your life, spend the money and get a damn good bed.

as far as the FMJ, if your Glock is for defense purposes only, look into hollow points. Less dead innocent people and more dead bad people :uhm:

here is better look at the bullet, it comes out blurry, but i can't get it to come out better with my phone.

backbullet.jpg

bullet-1.jpg

Yes, that is a FMJ. I'd spend what you have left over of FMJ down range, and look into some hollow points. They are much pricier... but hey, worth it if you ask me :uhm:

get hydra-shocks

====

EDIT

it is just my recommendation...

get whatever makes you feel comfortable.

1237950548.jpg

Well I went ahead and just got one today. 9mm S&W. The price was right, the feel and weight of it was good and I personally like how it looks. I didn't get to fire it yet but the guys at the new gun store I went to today were a lot more helpful in helping me choose a gun that would be appropriate for the wife and I as a beginner weapon that would be good to learn basics with and get a feel for guns in general. This probably wont be the only gun I buy ever, so please keep the suggestions flowing. And thanks for everything up until now, it has been helpful and I will use it in the future when I or my wife wants to purchase another gun. I think I'll eventually want to get a .40 cal, the Springfield .40 cal I saw seemed like a really good gun, I just couldn't afford it or the 9mm version today.

And don't worry I'll pick up some expensive hollow points soon, I just have practice rounds right now.

• 3 weeks later...
1237950548.jpg

Well I went ahead and just got one today. 9mm S&W. The price was right, the feel and weight of it was good and I personally like how it looks. I didn't get to fire it yet but the guys at the new gun store I went to today were a lot more helpful in helping me choose a gun that would be appropriate for the wife and I as a beginner weapon that would be good to learn basics with and get a feel for guns in general. This probably wont be the only gun I buy ever, so please keep the suggestions flowing. And thanks for everything up until now, it has been helpful and I will use it in the future when I or my wife wants to purchase another gun. I think I'll eventually want to get a .40 cal, the Springfield .40 cal I saw seemed like a really good gun, I just couldn't afford it or the 9mm version today.

And don't worry I'll pick up some expensive hollow points soon, I just have practice rounds right now.

a FUCKING S&W (i've also been on the waiting list for a glock haha...I almost got all green w/ envy!)??? you shit. i've been on a waiting list for three months...for a 9mm in my area. damn you!! i strongly suggest learning the basics of rifles (hence the .22), shot gun and revolvers, single or double, shit if you're going to get in this you might as well go all the way. nice choice on the S&W (grrr I need a glock still...). lovely gun....

Archived