Hondo's Bar

Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger

Lycaon

Here's where I generally watch: http://www.instantz.net/anime/Hajime_No_Ippo.html

From Anime News Network:

Genres: comedy, drama, tournament Themes: boxing, sports Plot Summary: Ippo Makunouchi continues his boxing career and his goal on knowing the meaning of being strong, and the desire on fighting his idol Ichiro Miyata once again. Along him are pro boxers Takamura, Aoki and Kimura that each one of them aspire to their own dreams.

Its on the 11th episode at the moment, and seems to be going well.

• 1 month later...

i actually finished this series. it is definitely a good one despite me watching the first two seasons of "the contender." one day they should make a mixed martial arts one.

never really watched too many sports anime... try slam dunk, it's pretty entertaining too. someone should comment on prince of tennis.

i actually finished this series. it is definitely a good one despite me watching the first two seasons of "the contender." one day they should make a mixed martial arts one.

never really watched too many sports anime... try slam dunk, it's pretty entertaining too. someone should comment on prince of tennis.

Seen some of both. I intend to watch more of Slam Dunk someday.

yeah, i enjoyed the first dozen or so of Hajime, but the series' sheer length was daunting and i just kinda quit. This is a relaunch or wha?

Nope. This continues the series after teh episodes and movie(s?). The series may be long, but it is very good (imho).

• 4 years later...

Third Season of "Hajime no Ippo" Coming Fall 2013

MakunouchiDempseyRoll.gif

This year's 34th issue Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine is revealing on Wednesday that a third season of the television anime adaptation of George Morikawa's Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit) manga has been green-lit. The anime is scheduled to begin airing this fall in Japan. The announcement image reads, “Ippo fights the formidable enemy, Sawamura! Dempsey breaks down!?”

Morikawa's long-running manga has spawned two television anime series, an OVA, and a TV special. Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger, the second season of the anime, aired in 2009. Geneon Entertainment (USA) released the first television series on DVD in North America. Kodansha is publishing the manga in Japan, and will release the 104th compiled volume next month.

tumblr_m0btp7I7gG1qbxuszo1_400.gif

BIEtS5U.gif

time to do some catching up!

• 1 month later...

ah, found a good quality torrent, didn't even think about streaming (wifi here is kinda shitty). working backwards though, as i should have all of volume 1 by the morning; i'm up to 18 in vol 2 but ill just stop wherever i end tonight until i get caught up on ippo's minor league bouts (it's been so long i forget where i was before).

...the animation in 1 is dated but great, it's only the intro/ending themes that are harsh for me, haha

Come on now, this is some classic shit.

Don't you want feeling? Rolling go indeed.

Ippo's one of those shows that I have watched the first twenty episodes or so like 4, or 5 times, but never finished. Every so often I'll start it up again from the beginning, and I'll just eat it up for a week or two, wondering 'Man, this is great, why have I sat on this for so long??'. Then I'll just stop for some reason. It's not like a hit a lull that I can't get past or anything, I just step away for long enough (a year or two) that I feel like I should start over. It's so weird. The prospect of the new series does get me fired up at another attempt though!!

finished vol 1

UGH i know they had to pad the last fight with the tiger, but Ippo getting shook/forgetting everything was frustrating in the early rounds. his ultimate dempsey roll w/the liver blow + gazelle was a thing of beauty, but i like how New Challenger ends on the note of Miyaba is gonna expose that complicated move if he doesn't learn a new one or change it up dramatically.

at the end of vol 1, Takamura's backstory was of course great, but i ended up liking Aoki & Kimura's more than i thought i would, that was really cool to see too. i still hate that the russian kid got gypped though

tonight ive only got the OAVs (?) Champion Road & Kimura vs Mashiba, lookin forward to both...god i can't wait on vol 3 to start now!

• 2 weeks later...

Voice actor stuff

New Kamogawa is Shozo Iizuka (Ryu Jose of the original Gundam)

And Miki Shinichiro is going to play Sawamura. He is famous for playing Takumi from Initial D

Egawa Shisao is going to play Shimabukuro. He played Maki in Slam Dunk.

Sakaguchi Shuhei will play Imae. He plays someone in Naruto I don't know.

Kiuchi Hidenobu will play Eagle. He played Hojo in Initial D 5th Stage.

As far as story spoilers may be concerned, a certain story arc was confirmed to be animated as a TV special.

Anderson vs Kamogawa

rejoice, me & Ly!