Hondo's Bar

Punisher: War Zone

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, between this and Pet Semetery I've learned that when women direct bloody movies they're nothing short of horrifying in the amount of violence and depravity shown on screen.

Wow, I never realized Pet Cemetery AND War Zone were directed by women. One of the most beautifully filmed movies about violence ever made in my opinion is Julie Taymor's Titus. Seems to support your theory.

• 2 months later...

Depends on who you talk to. Most will tell me I'm too hard on it, but I have a lot of love for 'Welcome Back Frank', which the 02 Punisher butchers worse than Dominic West's face. From memory you're more about Punisher Max than knights, so you may not be as outraged as I was, and conversely were more offended at the bastardised Max story which I was okay with.

right, but you go past the "you know, jane wasnt a bad punisher, it was travolta/the script/everyone else's fault, really" that i usually get, 'tor. i think you believe there was something salvageable in that mess, and i have a hard time picking out 20 minutes of it where id agree with you.

It truly was the Punisher as I prefer him, smartly written, less gratuitous, and darkly humorous. A few cheesy one-liners, a thetan-free mob boss, and Rebecca Romijin's horrible performance aside I found it to be an enjoyable movie. Then again I enjoyed the Punisher War Journal comics of old rather than Ennis' Punisher that started out pretty good but just got more and more over the top as the series went along to the point that Stallone in Rambo couldn't top the angsty sneer and chunky explosions. I prefer a more grounded Punisher, MAX and this weren't it.

• 2 months later...
Dominic West will be the reason I boycott any future movie with him in it.

yeah, his "italinish" accent was dreadful. i swear this to you, though: go watch HBO's The Wire. your opinion of West, despite this awful casting call, will do a complete 180. that's still one of the best shows ive seen on any channel.

Nikoli, I just sorely disliked him in the Punisher flick.

Baytor is right, the Jane Punisher was well written. It was written sort of like the X-Men Origins idea, where it is the making of, not the end result. If you watch the Jane flick (and actually pay attention) he becomes the Punisher in the end. It wasn't written to be a comic take of the Punisher, and that is where most people were misled. The outfit of the Russian, was about the only comic part of the entire movie. At any rate, noone respects the Jane flick aside from Baytor, so Ima go find a hole to crawl back into and play with my navel lint.

ugh. but you're both wrong!

the jane movie arguably uses more comic stuff than this one did. i get that he becomes him in the end, but he only acted like him for about 5 minutes or so around that point. also, id really have to think of who was worse - west as jigsaw, or travolta as not-from-the-south guy.

Jane played an interesting character who wasnt the punisher, and wasnt in a punisher flick. Titus played a fun take on Frank in a gorefest heavily inspired by the MAX books, but with an unecessary amount of camp in it. both were pretty bad, and you're free to prefer either, i was just saying dont write off Dominic West without seeing his best work (which youre likely to enjoy, id also be surprised if you didnt dig The Shield).

The room-mates, Harry Heck, Mickey, and The Russian 3 from the Ennis series (because Ennis was popular at the time a few things from Marvel Knight Puinsher popped up) and one from what the movie was actually based on. However there are very few things from the comics that actually were featured in the film and if you would stop focusing on those few things and focus on the movie as it was you'd see it was actually pretty good. He was not MAX Punisher, MAX Punisher didn't even exist yet, he was more of the classic War Journal Punisher and got more like Ennis' take toward the end. It was an origin story, you can't give it all up in the first movie or else you get some stupid bullshit that tries too much to be like the comics like War Zone.

Now I hear they're planning on bringing in Barracuda for the sequel, fucking hell you fuckers are responsible for this bullshit. :gross:

The room-mates, Harry Heck, Mickey, and The Russian 3 from the Ennis series (because Ennis was popular at the time a few things from Marvel Knight Puinsher popped up) and one from what the movie was actually based on. However there are very few things from the comics that actually were featured in the film and if you would stop focusing on those few things and focus on the movie as it was you'd see it was actually pretty good. He was not MAX Punisher, MAX Punisher didn't even exist yet, he was more of the classic War Journal Punisher and got more like Ennis' take toward the end. It was an origin story, you can't give it all up in the first movie or else you get some stupid bullshit that tries too much to be like the comics like War Zone.

Now I hear they're planning on bringing in Barracuda for the sequel, fucking hell you fuckers are responsible for this bullshit. :gross:

I've said for a while I need to re-watch the Jane Punisher Movie(haven't seen it since cinema), but I gotta tell you: Frank's entire situation, pretty much everything without Travolta was gouged bloodily from Welcome Back Frank. If I could somehow forget that entire 12-issue volume prior to viewing Jane's cinematic abortion, maybe I could have a different take, what with slutty mystique being slutty without the acrylic, and Ben Foster playing a remarkably uncharismatic FPS addict(I'm suprised your lawyer guy, that Thompson fuckhead doesn't point to this more :P), shit, I know! Travolta's compelling villian will surely re-sell it to me! My god, how could my fanboyism blind me so? Maybe, just maybe I just want to see Tom Jane drink & cry for 2 hours and then maybe kill some folks then cry some more. Fucking Spawn was less Angsty.

What were we discussing again?

I could bring up that the director and Thomas Jane both used Taxi Driver as a template for the movie just to make you cry, but I'll be the bigger man here. ^_^

First of all you cunt, I thought you talking about War Zone.

Second of all, is every zombie that came after Night of The Living Dead good beacuse they follow that template?

And third of all :gross:

I've said for a while I need to re-watch the Jane Punisher Movie(haven't seen it since cinema), but I gotta tell you: Frank's entire situation, pretty much everything without Travolta was gouged bloodily from Welcome Back Frank. If I could somehow forget that entire 12-issue volume prior to viewing Jane's cinematic abortion, maybe I could have a different take, what with slutty mystique being slutty without the acrylic, and Ben Foster playing a remarkably uncharismatic FPS addict(I'm suprised your lawyer guy, that Thompson fuckhead doesn't point to this more :P), shit, I know! Travolta's compelling villian will surely re-sell it to me! My god, how could my fanboyism blind me so? Maybe, just maybe I just want to see Tom Jane drink & cry for 2 hours and then maybe kill some folks then cry some more. Fucking Spawn was less Angsty.

What were we discussing again?

The only thing pulled from the comics were the apartment complex and its inhabitants (and don't go blaming Ben Foster and John Pinette, they did nothing wrong here), The Russian, and the NAME (not even the actual character) of Harry Heck. The scene of fighting the Russian and pulling out Dave's piercings were also from Welcome Back Frank. Anything and everything else was all new.

You also need to remember that movie Punisher was a Gulf War veteran, not the I've-seen-Apocalypse-Now!-300-times-oh-my-gawd-fapfapfap Vietnam veteran that Ennis wrote him as. This wasn't some shell-shocked motherfucker that swam in a sea of dead Vietnamese soldiers and ripped off a Francis Ford Coppola movie for his backstory, mostly because that Frank Castle would be too old to do much more than get his head blown off in 2004, battle training or no. It's a different take on the Punisher, but not a new one, in fact Ennis' take was the odd man out truth be told.

And yes John Travolta sucked (but god dammit he was still better than "dick from The Green Mile" and "Not-Mark-Wahlberg") :gross: Besides, the best of the 3 movies thus far was the one with Dolph Lundgren and it had fuckall to do with the comics and captured Ennis' vision perfectly almost 20 years before it even existed.

Archived