Hondo's Bar

Dragon Age: Origins

The NZA

504x_dragon_age.jpg

Dragon Age: Origins, (previously known as Dragon Age), is a computer role-playing game currently in development by BioWare. BioWare has announced that the game will be released for Windows in 2009, as well as for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Dragon Age: Origins utilizes a new game engine named Eclipse. It has been confirmed that a toolset for creation of fan-made content will be included, though it is a single-player only game. BioWare co-CEO Ray Muzyka describes Dragon Age: Origins as a 'spiritual successor' to the Baldur's Gate series, though it is not based on Dungeons & Dragons.

I dont know much about it, but its coming to like every platform later this year and its right up some of youse guys' alleys.

Also, racism.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know much about it, but its coming to like every platform later this year and its right up some of youse guys' alleys.

Also, racism.

This is next the big game I am waiting for. I'm pissed though that Bioware pushed back the date so it could do a simultaneous PC/Console release. It was supposed to be out next month on PC. Looks like it is gonna be the best of all worlds as far as gameplay goes. I've read very little about the story, but Bioware tends to have good writers. I like the fact that your race/class determines your starting point in game, so if you go back and try out different characters you wont always been repeating the same begining thing over and over. Think Baldur's Gate meets KoToR meets NWN. Throw in some blood (that stays on your armor after fights; which is a little thing but it's the little things that count), some spell combo's, plenty of dialoge and choices that affect everything from how your party views you (they may even leave if you stray too far from their alignment), to the world itself, multitudes of races and classes to choose from, and you have the next great longwinded rpg from Bioware. I just hope they do a PC to Consolse port and don't focus on the console over the PC. This was supposed to be ours damnit, screw you consoles and your obviously better market.

Think Baldur's Gate meets KoToR meets NWN.

funny, i never played baldur's or NWN, very little of KOTOR. i dug Mass Effect and Fallout 3, not so much Oblivion but i wanted to try it again sometime. any chance ill dig this?

Throw in some blood (that stays on your armor after fights; which is a little thing but it's the little things that count), some spell combo's, plenty of dialoge and choices that affect everything from how your party views you

haha, ive heard promises of "blood that stays on!" since Resident Evil 2, im gonna have to wait & see.

I just hope they do a PC to Consolse port and don't focus on the console over the PC. This was supposed to be ours damnit, screw you consoles and your obviously better market.

i get it when console multi-plat have to release simultaneous, but....if PC gaming's a niche market, i wonder why this is, other than just taking time programming all 3 together. be no harm in dropping in PC first to keep you eletist kids happy.

I... can't hold it in any longer!

DAMN UPPITY POINT-EARED ELVES!

I'm glad someone here has the balls to say something. I for one am sick and tired of the damage the elfen race is doing to our community. They've stolen countless jobs from real Americans in the cookie making and shoe-cobbling industry, they prance around wearing tight clothes and acting like they're fucking human!

They are pointy eared animals. Nothing more. Next thing you know, they'll be allowed to vote.

GO BACK TO THE TREE, GLAMOUR-MONKEYS! We don't need your kind.

• 2 months later...

got a releae date!

BioWare has given Dragon Age: Origins an official release date. Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to BioWare's critically acclaimed Baldur's Gate, featuring deep character customization and role-playing, morally challenging decisions, tactical party-based combat, and a wealth of gritty, mature sub-plots. It is a dark, heroic fantasy game that combines original storytelling techniques with classic role-playing challenges.

Dragon Age: Origins will be released on October 20.

• 3 months later...

ive been quietly giving bishop shit over this one (he and gun saw something in an earlier trailer that i very much did not), but this latest trailer...im honestly starting to question the quality/direction of this one.

it coudlve been worse - Mass Effect 2's new ad was so bad, im just hoping i can get the option to kill this new character - and im not even knowledgable enough in marketing to tell you how these should be sold, but im pretty sure this isnt the way. having enjoyed a lot more of Bioware's last-gen catalog now, theyve got some really great strengths, and being exxxtreeeme isnt one of em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, what a great game. Definitely has that KOTOR feel, especially with the interactions with your party.

I found myself starting three characters before I'd even played one for more than 4 hours, your race/class/background gives you a completely different beginning.

Anyone else playing this? It's a top-notch li'l RPG.

bishopcruz is absent partly because of it, for one.

im gonna give it a go, but prolly next year at the earliest...again, burning through KOTOR and Jade Empire has me a bit exhausted on bioware's offerings, thisll be great when i long for that system again later on.

The game is absolutely amazing, probably one of the best of its kind since Baldur's Gate 2. Also constantly finds new ways to be disturbing as all hell when you least expect it. The entire dwarven storyline is really fucked up beyond belief, it makes you think its going to go for the fantasy cliches, and then punches you in the gut when it goes against them. That and the characters are all pretty damn cool, though they are less Mass Effect, and more KOTOR in their style. It really is a very different game from Mass Effect. That was all about starring in a crazy badass cinematic experience, this is more about losing yourself in a character and a world. It sucks you in and doesn't let go. Hell, even as I type this I feel like I should be playing instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having fun with my 2nd playthrough, kinda crazy seeing all this stuff that I didn't see in my pretty thorough first time out. The differences can be kinda stark sometimes, including a really cool scene in the camp with Leliana that I completely missed last time, doing stuff in a different order too. It's fun. How is the rest of the gang liking this? I hear Drifter finally got a copy, I know JZA has one, and I remember Ly and CJ were playing it here too.

Seriously probably gonna be my GOTY.

I sadly still haven't had a chance to play this other than 20 mins on NZA's tv right before the switch, now that I've clocked Borderlands & before I pick up AC2 I might give this a go if I can wrest control of the tv from the womens.

also though, check this shit out

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/dragon-age-...ins-collectors/

Dunno if any of you cats saw this ed in the US, but note the interchangeability with Mass Effect 2? -10 cool points

I'm loving it too. I reinstalled WoW the other day and had a 7-day free play added to my account. I get on WoW for like 10 seconds and sigh, "I don't want to go through all this."

The gameplay dynamics are fun. You have to really keep an eye on your party. I also like the dialogue trees and the cutscenes you get when you give someone a gift that is meant for them. I'm playing a rogue right now, and am dying to get my first specialization. Apparently I have to find a trainer first. The graphics are great thanks to some awesome bump mapping. The characters have dialogue in-game; so while you walk around collecting stuff, they are arguing or having tactical discussions with each other. Depending on your actions, some characters will agree more or less, and if you have the right characters in your party you can avoid most of the negative influence. Like

having Allistair not in your party if you free the blood-mage held captive in Redcliffe will keep you from losing influence with him

. That wasn't much of a spoiler.

A lot of dialogue opens up the more you talk to your companions. And if you remove everyone's clothes, most of the cutscenes will be them in their skivvies. :D

Also, make sure to read or at lease skim the notes you pick up in your journal. Sometimes you can miss some really good side quests if you don't read them properly. I.E.

The summoning ritual in the Circle of Mages yields a very nice two-handed sword...at least for me it did.

I'm loving it too. I reinstalled WoW the other day and had a 7-day free play added to my account. I get on WoW for like 10 seconds and sigh, "I don't want to go through all this."

The gameplay dynamics are fun. You have to really keep an eye on your party. I also like the dialogue trees and the cutscenes you get when you give someone a gift that is meant for them. I'm playing a rogue right now, and am dying to get my first specialization. Apparently I have to find a trainer first. The graphics are great thanks to some awesome bump mapping. The characters have dialogue in-game; so while you walk around collecting stuff, they are arguing or having tactical discussions with each other. Depending on your actions, some characters will agree more or less, and if you have the right characters in your party you can avoid most of the negative influence. Like

having Allistair not in your party if you free the blood-mage held captive in Redcliffe will keep you from losing influence with him

. That wasn't much of a spoiler.

A lot of dialogue opens up the more you talk to your companions. And if you remove everyone's clothes, most of the cutscenes will be them in their skivvies. :D

Also, make sure to read or at lease skim the notes you pick up in your journal. Sometimes you can miss some really good side quests if you don't read them properly. I.E.

The summoning ritual in the Circle of Mages yields a very nice two-handed sword...at least for me it did.

2nd playthrough is going well, my Blood Dragon armored sword and board city elf bitch is kicking a ton of ass, and hey, got the achievement for doing all the romances to the point of getting groiny. Pretty much doing the quests in reverse this time around, so after Orzammar I'm going to finish Redcliffe and the Urn, then do Mage Tower last, not having Wynne isn't as bad as I thought, Morrigan with heal and Group Heal now covers most of the shit I need.

Tip: If one of your party gets Soul Caged, immediately cast force field on top of them. It'll explode the cage hurting all the enemies around it, and save the hell that is having a character pretty much taken out of the fight.

Also dante, go assassin for your first spec, you will not regret it.

That's what I want and I am trying but I can't find a trainer for it. I finally got

Zehvran

in my party and there was some dialogue about it, but inevitably

he said no because the Crows wouldn't like it, when I said "OK, keep your word" or something like that, he said that my interest was intriguing and he might consider it

Question. I gave

Flemeth's Grimoire

to

Morrigan

, did you ever see that come into play?

Also, what romances? Is this something that happens when the approval meter is maxed? My character is female, so I imagine I'm missing a lot of the male chauvinistic dialogues, hah!

STOP READING SPOILERS!!!!

Archived