Hondo's Bar

Red Dead Redemption

The NZA

custom_1238511260795_CoJBiB_ALL_Screenshot_Desertors_oe_10.jpg

yeah, so, until Red Dead Revolver 2 shows up, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood has my attention for one of my favorite, most-neglected gaming genres. I only played the demo on live for part 1 and didnt really get into it (at least, not as much as i did with Gun) but ive higher hopes from the looks of this one.

Thoughts? did i miss out with part 1? is anyone else still sad that Gunslinger got cancelled years back?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half of CoJ 1 was pretty cool, the parts where you were the Reverend. The levels where you played the other guy kinda stank. My favorite sub weapon was The Bible, you could hit a button to quote scripture and confuse people.

Nothin' special, certainly no Gun. At the time it had some pretty impressive textures, but I'm sure they'd be pretty "meh" now.

In the first one you were forced to play each lvl as a certain character, that's out in this one: you get to choose. I like that already.

I'd never heard of Gunslinger before I clicked that link. Talks of a "complex morality system" already have me missing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I see they're still aping Clint but that kinda worked for the first one. My favorite part of that one (and the thing that pissed me off about Gun because it reputed that you could do EVERYTHING that you could in Red Dead and more) was that you could ride a bull.

I hear there's supposed to be a Gun 2 coming soon, let's hope they can score Tom Jane back and the same calibur of cast they did last time (Kris Krisstofferson, Brad Dourif, Ron Perlman, Lance Henricksen, shit was magic, shame they're all dead) and maybe make the game more than 2 hours long. If it takes me longer to watch Once Upon a Time in the West than play through an entire game then something is fucking wrong.

Yeah I hate when games pull out the "I'm wearing a bulletproof vest so you can't shoot me. What you want to shoot me in the legs or the head or the arms? Too bad, my bulletproof vest gives me the John Wayne bullet shield." It also kind of blew that you got the kick-ass 7-barrel shotgun after you didn't really have anyone of note to shoot with it. But the rest of the game (all 8 minutes of it) were awesome.

Yeah, both Gun and Red Dead Revolver were lots of fun (Red Dead wasn't quite as good a game but it was fun nonetheless). I'd eagerly pick up a sequel to either of 'em. I tried Call of Juarez for a couple hours. It never really grabbed me like the other two did.

yeah, same here - i wasnt wooed by the demo. bish rented it, didnt seem that memorable to him as i recall, either. which is a shame, with such a small genre id love to support what comes of it.

I dont recall Red Dead Revolver's single player to be as cool as Gun's was, but the multi was pretty fun, in a weird, mario-kart-powerup kinda way.

details

Speaking with IGN, Rockstar's Dan Houser has revealed that, unlike the first game, this title will have a lot more in common with the Grand Theft Auto series, as it takes place in an open, sprawling world split across three territories: traditional Western turf, northern Mexico and then a "modern" town (the game being set at the turn of the 20th century).

Indeed, it seems the only thing carrying over from the original will (it's got no story links to the first game, and stars a new "hero") be its greatest gameplay asset, the "deadeye" quickdraw mechanic, though how this will be tweaked and/or modified for the sequel remains to be seen.

Houser reserves some of his most glowing praise for the scope of the game world, though. "The sense of scale, and the sense of riding across these big areas and exploring these weird corners of the map, that is part of the experience, just as much as having the shootouts and part of the story and adventure. The act of seeing these beautiful views and discovering them for yourself and feeling like it's enormous and I can go over there and see what's up that hill and see for miles in the distance, that is part of the beauty and fun of the game."

I get the appeal of the sandbox genre, i do - gunsmith & other hondonians have often said Batman and certain characters would lend themselves well, but then when that's been done with Spidey, it wasnt my thing. the genre itself doesnt often do much for me, but after Fallout 3, i see where it could.

This element could make or break it, for me. I was watching the trailer for the new Juarez yesterday, and the first-person horse riding sounded great, but graphically, the landscape seemed about as exciting as the 30th random planet in Mass Effect (may just be me). The concept of the game's scope - the west, mexico, the newer town with the railroad & such - sound good, though. I'm still pretty optimistic on this one, but i honestly cant wait to see more gameplay videos after these details.

Forget the Spider-Man games they were only cool for webswinging, but generally utilized the sandbox gameplay element horribly in the same way that the Destroy All Humans game. But remember how Gun used it? I support this idea. (I hope you can still ride a bull.)

• 1 month later...

DoJ: how far you get? said review says its not long, but even the side-missions were fun, and the characters were supposed to be pretty cool. i might even try the online at some point, whenever it comes in.

newt - one comment on the review said co-op was the one thing the game was lacking, sadly. we can always take turns, but i think we'll be holding out for Red Dead for solid western co-op.

unless you wanna play some Mad Dog Mcree, just released on the wii!

• 1 month later...

Just tied up Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. I wanna say it was leaps & bounds better than part 1, but id only played the demo.

I played as Ray (dude looks Unforgiven) who turned out to be the slower-moving, less-fun-to-play guy due to his limited-ass arsenal, but i was more into his story. Having not played the online, i can say the offline campaign was solid - 15 chapters, took a couple days. I'm tempted to play through again as Thomas, but id want a break between, and this one's a rental. I had fun, but ive opted not to keep it.

Level design's not bad, its a bitch to see who's shooting me sometimes, especially when they're higher up and match the landscape. The story throws every western element it can into the mix - indians, civil war, saloons, all of it. The boss battles even play out in a timed showdown, which is cool, but gets tricky later on when your enemies seem lightning-fast, and Ray's arms are made of molasses or something.

All in all, Yahtzee's review on Zero Escapist caught most of the flaws for me, and again, its not a bad game, but personally, i'm gonna keep my $30 and jump on Katamari Forever in a few weeks or so, and hold out for Red Dead Redemption.

yeah, even with the fun going-back-and-forth between the brothers - which was really fun at times - i think i liked Gun better.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...