Hondo's Bar

United States of Tara

I've recently become a big fan of the shows airing on Showtime, including Dexter and Weeds. Both great time wasters.

I just finished watching one of the newest shows starring Tony Collette (Little Miss Sunshine), "The United States of Tara". Written by Diablo Cody of Juno fame, it follows a mother (Collette) struggling with Disassociative Identity Disorder and her supposedly dysfunctional family.

united_states_of_tara_title.png?w=375&h=500

I got a lot of enjoyment out of the show... Being unable to sleep for a few weeks, it passed the time for me quite pleasingly, and I liked the take on a rare (and quite debated) mental disorder. Makes for interesting character development, that's for sure, and a unique and entertaining twist on a household dramedy.

At the beginning of the show (and thru the opening sequence) we learn that she has three distinctive personalities inside her other than her normal, every day mom self. Alice, the Beaver Cleaver mother, "T", the perpetual sixteen year old, & Buck, the white trash, gun-toting male figure. Collette's acting is comical in each of the different characters, and although she won't be winning an Oscar as far as I can tell, she does a really great job of portraying the individual personalities.

The story follows her family through their everyday abnormal lives after Tara's psychiatrist advises her to stop taking her medication. Throughout the series is a sort of self-discovery quest on trying to pinpoint how and why Collette's character fragmented and developed her subsequent "alters".

Check it out for free here. Twelve episodes, 30 minutes each. Let me know what you think!

I haven't seen him in much, honestly, but from what I recall his acting seemed terrible. But then again, maybe it was the writing? I agree he does great in the show. I occasionally can't tell he's acting at all.

I appreciate Diablo Cody's novelty. I read recently that she's working on a new film for 2009 called "Jennifer's Body"...something about a teenage cannibal. My expectations are slightly low as they are for most high school movies, but maybe it could be the next Faculty? That movie wasn't terrible...

I like seeing Collette as all of the different alters. Buck is probably the funniest, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Showtime... 'Dead Like Me' is great, my husband and I just finished watching it. However the movie that came out this year(?) was disappointing. If you haven't seen it, it's along the dark humor of Dexter. Unfortunately, it was cut was before it should have been but definitely worth watching.

Speaking of Showtime... 'Dead Like Me' is great, my husband and I just finished watching it. However the movie that came out this year(?) was disappointing. If you haven't seen it, it's along the dark humor of Dexter. Unfortunately, it was cut was before it should have been but definitely worth watching.

If you liked Dead Like Me, check out Wonderfalls and the currently airing Pushing Daisies.

I liked Dead Like Me but I found the lead to be extremely dull and boring especially in her monotone line delivery, that and I kept wanting to climb into the TV and tell her that she needs to wax her upper lip. Also there were times it felt like Final Destination: The Series.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the link, Ross!

New episode Monday! Which alter(s) would you like to see? Which is your favorite? I was leaning toward Alice, but I'm really digging buck this season. It's like you get to see a whole new side of him.

Archived