Hondo's Bar

Jax's abuse of power Part Deux

archangel

So basicly anything and everything should just be crapshacked? so much shit has gone in there with nary a peep from people but because joel did something it's a fucking issue... sigh at least admitit, and btw at least joel was craping trolls(admitlity not good ones) while you just want to get some form of revenge or prove your point in an stuipd way. you kinda proved this when you kept recrapshacking the post and then making it invisble.

just a note, I posted this before I read jax's post above me.

Joel has insisted that since the crap shacked posts still exist and can be read my all, it is completely at his discretion if something can be crap shacked because it's not censorship. He has no problem with threads or posts he deemed inappropriate for any reason he sees fit to be put in a 'free speech zone' (his words). He says it's not censorship, so that's the end of the discussion. If that's the end of the discussion, no need to discuss this crap shacking anymore either.

I'm just wondering why no one gave a flying fuck when the Limbaugh trolls were crap shacked a while back. Same basic shit, no real titty fits. Don't much care whether or not the T&P posts stayed or not, but what this has turned into is patently ridiculous. Dunno why Jax is so butthurt over these posts on particular though.

Also pretty damn sure that had it been any other mod that moved the posts, he wouldn't give a shit either. I mean, really stuff has been crapshacked for far less than this before.

Generally we mods don't know everything the other mods do.

We usually go by objections.

If I split a thread for going off tangent (lets pretend I actually used my mod powers.) , and a poster says they'd rather have their post stay in the original thread, I'd move it back.

Your point about the Limbaugh trolls is valid. I didn't know they had been crapshacked and I don't know who did it.

If the Limbaugh trolls had objected to me, I would have asked to have them reinstated.

Terrence and Phillip wrote an email to the fucking 'president of hondo's' and registered a complaint.

===========================================

I have no comment about the Terrence and Phillip/ Archangel situation here. We have a thread for that.

This is about Jax.

He is wrong to crapshack Joel's posts in my view.

========================================

This shit is counter productive, too. Archangel is never going to make an move to settle the Terrence and Phillip issue as long as you, Eduardo, his fuckin sworn enemy are holding his thread hostage. Even if he agrees in his mind that I'm right over Terrence and Phillip, he'll never give you the appearance of a victory and he's gonna dig his heels in.

This is just bad strategy. Go read what Sun Tzu said about cornering enemies and giving them no option but to fight.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the fucking rub: If these tactics were ever to succeed, and I doubt they would given history, it would simply be seen as an exercise in blackmail/ bullying, not governance or consensus.

AND I DON"T WANT TO WIN THE TROLL ARGUMENT THAT WAY.

Martin Luther King didn't blow up white churches and set dogs on white kids when he marched and not only did he win, but he won in a way that was beyond moral refutation.

---------------------------------------------

Of course, Jax, unlike Archangel, your situation still allows you to have options and adjust tack.

I have no comment about the Terrence and Phillip/ Archangel situation here. We have a thread for that.

This is about Jax.

He is wrong to crapshack Joel's posts in my view.

========================================

This shit is counter productive, too. Archangel is never going to make an movement to settle the Terrence and Phillip case as long as you, Eduardo, his fuckin sworn enemy is holding his thread hostage. Even if he agrees in his mind that I'm right over Terrence and Phillip, he'll never give you the appearance of a victory and he's gonna dig his heels in.

This is just bad strategy. Go read what Sun Tzu said about cornering enemies and giving them no option but to fight.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's the fucking rub: If these tactics were ever to succeed, and I doubt they would given history, it would simply be seen as an exercise in blackmail/ bullying, not governance or consensus.

AND I DON"T WANT TO WIN THE TROLL ARGUMENT THAT WAY.

Martin Luther King didn't blow up white churches and set dogs on white kids when he marched and not only did he win, but he won in a way that was beyond moral refutation.

---------------------------------------------

Of course, Jax, unlike Archangel, your mind still allows you to have options and adjust tack.

I am not beyond being reasoned with, and I take your point and I will return Joel's 'Obama is a surrender monkey' thread to Politics, but I'm tried of Joel stonewalling objections to his draconian bullshit and I want this issue addressed.

No, not 'nevermind'. This issue will be addressed. I move for a Politics moderators vote. I move that guidelines and rules for use of mod-power be limited to those agreed to in a unanimous vote. Jumbie or archangel, will either of you cast the vote to make this 'official'?

If that's the case, this vote also has to be unanimous.

and my answer is no.

Go choke.

You'll not lecture me on use of mod powers, sir, when you're the greatest and most aggregious example of idiots having too much power 'round these parts.

No chatting in the shoutbox, this should all be crap shacked, really.

doj, you weird bastard, theyre bickering and for once its actually on topic!

i dont like to overstate this. i share some other hondonians' concerns when talking specifically about our rules, as jumbie has attested to the case-by-case basis we usually run with. here goes.

jumbie himself told me years back he thinks the best possible thing a leader can do is not fuck shit up worse than when he got there. i sure thought he was clever before i learned of his libertarian mantra of "the government that governs best, governs least". i took the reigns of this place in a violent burning-down of the board and, in rebuilding it, declared it public. sure, i call the shots but i wanted member input, i wanted forums to have both a look and a feel created by our patrons. so long as we didnt violate our core ideas about censorship - and ASC's concerns really make me think this should be a separate thread on the issue - we're free to talk about anything under the sun; sometimes, the more controversial, the better.

in politics (a forum originated by bachuses, but as joel pointed out, carried on his own for a while after that), i put 3 good friends in charge - all adults whose judgment i trust, whether i agree with them or not. in this instance, i was again at work when shit went down but this more self-sufficient system ive been shooting for in recent years again is prevailing: the 3 are (hopefully) engaging each other in a private thread in said forum to establish whatever base rules they desire...again, so long as they dont step on the board proper's toes, its all theirs.

its important that this board/community outlives me, at the very least, my time at the helm. you guys dont need me here barking out how every minute detail should be handled and fucking up the good thing we've got going.

jumbie himself told me years back he thinks the best possible thing a leader can do is not fuck shit up worse than when he got there. i sure thought he was clever before i learned of his libertarian mantra of "the government that governs best, governs least".

That's distorting what I said, I think.

What I was saying was more along the lines of leaders shouldn't be in the business of grand improvement plans and the best thing a leader could ATTEMPT to do is make sure they don't fuck with shit (and therefore risk fucking shit up).

And, of course that idea didn't originate with me. I was quoting an article which claimed that George H Bush was a good president (geo-politically speaking) just for bringing the Cold War to an end with minimum drama.

Archived