Hondo's Bar

Star Trek Countdown

Mr. Hakujin

I've avoided the IDW Transformers movie prequels, but the Trekkie in me couldn't resist this 4 issue miniseries (all of which are now out and the TPB is available on amazon.com) for the upcoming STAR TREK film.

I'm definitely more a fan of ST: The Next Generation, but the film franchise pretty much killed any hopes of seeing the continuing adventures of Picard & Co. on screen. After reading this series I only wish J.J. Abrams had helmed the last TNG film, then maybe we could've gotten another Picard & crew film or two before the Kirk prequels.

Without going into spoilers, fans of TNG should be VERY happy with this miniseries. I definitely want to go back and watch the last TNG episode ("All Good Things...") again after reading this series. Spock is a big player as well.

Cons include typical mediocre IDW artwork and some re-treading of familiar Trek plot territory. However, the use of familiar characters in a way that's true to their screen counterparts more than made up for all of that.

Another plus for long-time Trek fans is the fact that the new STAR TREK film doesn’t seem to be a re-boot of the Trek universe. Events involving Romulans following the last TNG film blend well into this miniseries which promises to end where the new film begins.

It's a sequel, prequel and a reboot, because it involved time travel in continuity and a completely new cast of actors playing familiar characters. It's a fucking brilliant way to please fans while injecting some life into a franchise that needs it to appeal to casual fair weather fans like me.

Eh, not to be nit picky, but I don't see how it's really a "reboot." Just b/c there're new actors playing the younger Enterprise crew members doesn't mean their changing any previous ST canon. Their telling the untold earlier stories, similar to the Star Wars prequels.

Eh, not to be nit picky, but I don't see how it's really a "reboot." Just b/c there're new actors playing the younger Enterprise crew members doesn't mean their changing any previous ST canon. Their telling the untold earlier stories, similar to the Star Wars prequels.

Well, from my understanding, and I could be wrong here, but the time traveling Romulans actually create an alternate timeline, so it's not an earlier untold story, it's an alternate universe type of origin story for the crew (has the origin story for the crew every been fleshed out before? Like I said, I'm just a casual fan). In that sense, it has the ability to have the feel of a reboot.

Well, from my understanding, and I could be wrong here, but the time traveling Romulans actually create an alternate timeline, so it's not an earlier untold story, it's an alternate universe type of origin story for the crew (has the origin story for the crew every been fleshed out before? Like I said, I'm just a casual fan). In that sense, it has the ability to have the feel of a reboot.

Oh, shit! I didn't know these Romulans were going to create an alternate timeline. I hope that's just rumors b/c it'd be lame to negate 30+ years of canon--especially when the characters are so beloved. I'm a hardcore ST:TNG fan, but my knowledge of TOS crew is limited mostly to the films.

I actually bought the Star Trek encyclopedia back in high school at the height of my Trekkie-ness. I'll have to look up TOS crew entries after I see the film to see if they tampered w/ anything. But as far as I know nothing about their pre-Enterprise days was every shown on film or TV. Certain things like Pike was the original captain of the Enterprise and Kirk was the only cadet to who managed to beat some Starfleet training exercise (Kobiyashi Maru) are the first things that come to mind. Both of those seem to be present in the new trailers.

Archived