Hondo's Bar

Achievement unlocked!

Thelogan

So here's my plan with this thread, I'm mainly going to be doing reviews of games based entirely on how easy the achievements are. I'll be regularly using the following format:

Time investment vs. payoff

Easiest achievement

Hardest Achievement

Coolest achievement (if applicable)

And then an overall score.

It's not an original idea, I've shamelessly swiped it. The reviews, however, will be entirely my own.

I'll also be randomly posting tutorials and tips for rackin' up some points and I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Please feel free to ignore my chosen format when posting your own shit. We want to hear from you! Tell us how pissed you are at a game you played for 30 hours and got 60 pts for, or just share some general tips and tricks. It's all good.

For you PS3 guys, as far as I can tell most, if not all, cross platform games that support Trophies are pretty much exactly analogous to the 360 version's achievements, so you can prob'ly get something out of this too. Feel free to post shit about Trophies as well. This isn't console exclusive.

Unless you only have a Wii, in which case your presence is not needed. ::P:

Here's the only things I don't really want here.

People pointing out that achievements are pointless or a waste of time.

People complaining that we aren't enjoying our games for the "right" reasons.

I get enough of that from those pretentious pricks on the GameFAQS board, I don't need it here. Practically everything we do is a waste of time and don't you dare tell me how I'm allowed to enjoy something. Don't piss on my parade. So keep your bitchin' in the kitchen and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

So right, that's all established. Lets get this party started, shall we?

I'll start it with this little piece of infamy and get it out of the way.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth

Oh Avatar, you are a delight. Every poorly made game should learn from your shining example. Avatar owes practically every dollar it ever made on achievement whores. Descriptions don't really do this masterpiece justice, lets just see it in action.

Crazy shit, huh? It basically works like this: All the achievements are based on getting a XX hit combo, during the tutorial it keeps throwing dudes at you until you do what it wants you to do, punch them. You don't punch them, you run away (a corner actually worked better for me) and throw your little air-balls or whatever the fuck he calls 'em. Just spam the B button. 2 minutes later, your 1,000 points richer.

Time investment vs. payoff - 10/10 It doesn't get any better than this, folks.

Easiest achievement -

Urm...

Hardest Achievement -

Overall score - 11/10

It just doesn't get any better than Avatar. Based on my stance of reviewing based solely on the achievements, this game is equivalent to Chrono Trigger fucking Super Metroid while Final Fantasy VII sips a scotch and cheers them on. It is the stuff of legends.

If we were on the same platform, I might be trying to give you a run for your gamerscore. A pity that it isn't so.

If I'm allowed to break format, I'm currently playing Killzone 2 for the multiplayer trophy "Valor Grand Cross" which requires the player to be in the top 1% of all players for the week. It's a ridiculous trophy, requiring a consistent investment. Even now as I'm typing this, I'm theoretically losing the trophy.

If we were on the same platform, I might be trying to give you a run for your gamerscore. A pity that it isn't so.

Bold words sir, I'm currently 13th in the state. And Texas is a big state...

If I'm allowed to break format...

Of course! No format, those little guidelines are totally self imposed.

...I'm currently playing Killzone 2 for the multiplayer trophy "Valor Grand Cross" which requires the player to be in the top 1% of all players for the week. It's a ridiculous trophy, requiring a consistent investment. Even now as I'm typing this, I'm theoretically losing the trophy.

That is an obscene trophy! Especially taking into account what a popular game that is. If it was something like The Club, where a few dozen people a week are playing, well that's different.

That'll never be the case for Killzone! Good luck and godspeed on that man. That's some serious bragging rights there.

Bold words sir, I'm currently 13th in the state. And Texas is a big state...

Heh, I doubt I'd catch up to you, to be honest. I'm not even as far along on trophies as some others are, but it's still clipping along at a decent pace. I've earned platinum ((a trophy for 1000/1000, to put it in simple terms)) on seven games, and have decent progress on numerous others. I'm by no means the best, but I'm far above the majority of those I have on my friends list. Only one person comes close, but I completed CoD World at War to gain a lead on him.

fucking avatar, its a stain on my gamercard. *sigh* WHY CANT WE JUST ENJOY GAMES FOR THE FUN OF <CENSORED>

seriously though, when Space Cowboy tells me "i really want to play Valkryia Chronicles, but without trophies it was a no deal for me..." we have a problem. once i hit 10k i slowed down my whoring, and now only want trophies/achievements in games i really dig. theyre totally awesome & worth it in worthwhile ventures, and im still proud of my platnium in Fallout 3. I do kinda wish i had something to show for my Big Boss Emblem in MGS4, and had gotten Brass Balls in Bioshock before Skeeter *shakes fist*.

There's some titles im floored when i see all the achievements/trophies in, like SF IV, Rock Band (any), Mirror's Edge (stoopid maldron), Orange Box etc. you really had to work for those, and not everyone can get them.

im honestly considering buying Phantasy Star II when it comes to XBLA cause it was my first real RPG and im dreading trudging through it again, but its one of the few j-rpgs i honestly dont think everyone can beat with sheer persistence. its an unforigiving bitch sometimes.

PSII is coming out on XBLA? Sold.

PSIV was the one that I dug in my youth, just when you think it's over you start playing as your son, which is a different person depending on who you choose to marry, the you do it again. 3 generations of ass kick-ery.

And quit your damn achievement bashing! So help me god, I will crap shack your ass so quick...oh...wait...nvm.

Do as thou wilt.

But yeah, the ones that are *actual* accomplishments are the ones I care about these days (like Zombie Genocider in Dead Rising, mighty proud a that one).

Just figured I'd get Avatar out of the way.

its a love/hate thing. i had to play bioshock 3 times to get brass balls (i beat it, then on hard, and then they patched in that one later :doh: ) so by the end of it, i was honestly kinda tired of playing one of my favorite games thins gen, and i didnt want that. its why im putting off my replay of Mass Effect.

Same with MGS4, i had to go through that 3x to pull it off. its gonna be years before i wanna do that again, you know? id rather go back & get Big Boss in part 3 or something insanely hard like that one day. But then again, as panch's pointed out - they clearly do add some replay, and frankly, you should be proud of Zombie Genocider, Panch took like a year to get that one. I spent almost a month on Beautiful Katamari to get the Colossal Katamari one, so im with you guys here. Hell, i spent a while trying to get that one in Half-Life 2 "dont step on the sand" or whatever; didnt happen, but i did get the one for only using the buzzsaw in ravencroft or whatever that awesome town was. i was so close to getting "puttin' on a clinic"....but little rocket man is mighty impressive to those that pulled it off.

I didnt want them in Silent Hill, personally, but most games i think they're a welcome addition. Some people say they dont want them in Final Fantasy, but fuck that - whyd you bother dodging lighting 100x for a special weapon, or take down Emerald Weapon in the day, if not to show it off? shit, i still say i wish Nintendo's Virtual Console would have them; id love to see who can beat Contra without the 30-man code, for example. old-school bragging rights posted online sounds like a new kind of awesome.

im totally diverting your thread, though. also: you're thinking of PSIII, which was a weird break from the series but i dug it, too. PROTIP! if you want a fun way to break the game, load it up, and before going to Rhys' doomed wedding, sell the gear you're wearing and buy an escapipe, then when imprisoned, use it and talk to the king. yup, i played phantasy star a great deal in my sexless youth.

Thought I'd come back here and say that I got Valor Grand Cross. I'm almost done with multiplayer completely, thankfully, and soon hope to be getting platinum on the infernal game. Then, I'm going to move on to Dynasty Warriors Gundam: 2.

Gonna put the shining finger to a lot of deserving robots.

No, but there's versus, if you think yourself deserving of a shining finger strike.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginG6ZB9SUE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginG6ZB9SUE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ginG6ZB9SUE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GOD what a delightfully cheesy show.

It really was a delightfully cheesy show

I don't thing your man enough to beat me with a shining finger attack.

Seeing how the shining gundam is NOT in the game.

I on the other hand will be more then happy to give you a BURNING FINGER attack. :2T:

I wonder if dubbers ever think about the words they pick? Though I suppose "Erupting God Finger" is somehow even less appropriate.

Mutual ignorance aside, i haven't gone back to finish up KZ2 yet, so I don't have a copy. I'm sure you'll be a high-ranking pilot by the time I get my copy.

I wonder if dubbers ever think about the words they pick? Though I suppose "Erupting God Finger" is somehow even less appropriate.

Mutual ignorance aside, i haven't gone back to finish up KZ2 yet, so I don't have a copy. I'm sure you'll be a high-ranking pilot by the time I get my copy.

I wont get the game till the weekend.

I on the other hand will be more then happy to give you a BURNING FINGER attack. :yup:

Yes, that's sooooo much cooler sounding. :welcome:

Now instead of sounding like you're going to E.T. me to death it just sound like you're going to touch me inappropriotly and give me ghonnorrea. (I realize I probably mispelled that, it's for 4 in the fucking morning, fuck off)

Platinum 9 Achieved: Burnout Paradise

Annoying things I had to do:

Make seven other individuals meet up with me in a specific area of the game.

Own a Playstation EYE Camera ((Mine was free, but it's an annoying requirement for an achievement))

Redo everything from the beginning ((Trophies were first said to be retroactive for this game, so I got my burnout elite license. Lo and behold, trophies came, and they weren't retroactive, so I had to start again from the beginning. It's lucky it's a fantastic game. ))

Archived