Hondo's Bar

The Next Television Season

So the major networks are starting to finalize their programming for next season, which means the inevitable yearly mix of sighs of relief and cries of heartbreak. None of these lists are finalized yet but they're pretty close.

ABC

Staying on the air:

The Bachelor

Brothers and Sisters

Desperate Housewives

Grey's Anatomy

Lost

Private Practice

Ugly Betty

Gone:

Cupid

Dirty Sexy Money

Eli Stone

In the Motherhood

Pushing Daisies

Surviving Suburbia

The Unusuals

Could go either way:

Castle

Samantha Who?

Scrubs

CBS

Staying on the air:

The Big Bang Theory

CSI

CSI: Miami

CSI: NY

Ghost Whisperer

How I Met Your Mother

The Mentalist

NCIS

Numb3rs

Rules of Engagement

Two and a Half Men

Gone:

Flashpoint

Harper's Island

Could go either way:

Eleventh Hour

Gary Unmarried

New Adventures of Old Christine

Without a Trace

The Unit

FOX

Staying on the air:

American Dad

Bones

Family Guy

Fringe

House

Lie to Me

The Simpsons

'Til Death

Gone:

King of the Hill

Prison Break

Sit Down Shut Up

Could go either way:

Dollhouse

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles

NBC

Staying on the air:

30 Rock

Friday Night Lights

Heroes

Law & Order

Law & Order: SVU

Medium

The Office

Parks and Recreation

Southland

Gone:

Kath & Kim

Kings

Knight Rider

Lipstick Jungle

Could go either way:

Chuck

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Life

My Name Is Earl

The CW

Staying on the air:

Gossip Girl

One Tree Hill

Smallville

Supernatural

Gone:

Everybody Hates Chris

Reaper

Could go either way:

The Game

Privileged

Losing Reaper is definitely very sad, but let's face it - that show always had "will be prematurely cancelled" written all over it. I just hope they get to wrap it up decently. Some of the shows still on the bubble would be a major loss, so let's hope some of them get a last minute reprieve (Castle, Scrubs, Chuck, My Name Is Earl).

Pushing Daisies was still around? Damn it, I would've made the effort to catch up and watch it had fucking known!

Cupid: I laughed when I heard about this show and wondered how long it'd last when I heard about it coming out. Wasn't there already a failed version of this show about a decade or so ago?

Harper's Island: This show had some pretty obnoxious commercials.

King of the Hill: A shame, but its been on for a while.

Knight Rider: This... show was still around? That's rather surprising.

Reaper: That's a damn shame. I never saw much of this, but what I saw was fun.

I hope/wish Castle, Dollhouse, Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles, and Chuck would stick around (but let's face it: two of those shows involve Joss Whedon crew and are on Fox, and one has Nathan Fillion in it).

please renew Scrubs. I can't take much more of this yes-no-no-yes-maybe

They have been seriously jerking people around with that series' status, haven't they?

Let's ask Executive Beta. Network Execubot Beta, will These shows make it?

Executive Beta: *rolls dice* More reality shows!

Pushing Daisies was still around? Damn it, I would've made the effort to catch up and watch it had fucking known!

Pushing Daisies was canceled sometime last year, I believe, but it still fit into the timeframe of the current list.

Pushing Daisies is in mid-season break. They still have 4 or more episodes in the can to air, according to Wiki.

Sit Down Shut Up just premiered like a week ago. It's gone already? I mean, I wasn't impressed with the first two episodes, but I wanted to give it some time to develop. I guess it makes sense, since The Cleveland Show is supposed to debut next year (it is to Family Guy what The Jeffersons was to All In The Family, the black character's spin-off show). Seth McFarlane is now responsible for 3/4 of Fox's Sunday night Animation line-up.

I'm happy to see Kath & Kim go, replaced by the surprisingly-good-right-out-of-the-gate Parks & Recreation. Maybe great comedies are painfully hard to watch the first 5 episodes at leat (Seinfeld, 30 Rock, The Simpsons, Family Guy). They can be funny, but they don't feel like everything is working right. P&R has been good from the first episode.

This is going to be controversial, but I'll say it anyway. Whedon can do much better than Dollhouse, and if getting canceled allows him to move out and focus on a new project, maybe that's the best thing for the Whedonophiles out there. It's a neat concept, but it should not be dragged out further. WE have to accept that the sooner Whedon leaves this behind, the sooner we can get the next Buffy or Firefly.

Losing Reaper is sad, especially considering that the numbers were stable from last year, but I guess the CW was looking for it to do better, not the same.

I hope Chuck and Terminator stay alive. Chuck had soem resolution in its second-to-last episode of the season. Still haven't see the finale, so at least it got that, but Terminator ended on a cliffhanger.

Pushing Daisies is in mid-season break. They still have 4 or more episodes in the can to air, according to Wiki.

But the announcement that it wouldn't last beyond the current season happened a good while back.

The only ones on the bubble that I'm really really rooting for are Chuck and Castle. I love Scrubs, but I kinda figured this would be the last season anyway, what with all the rumblings. And though I would definitely miss My Name Is Earl, I barely watched any of the last season so I can't really get too mad about it :( Still, like usual, I could pick out a good ten canceled or possibly-canceled shows that deserve to be renewed before the likes of 'Til Death or Two and a Half Men. Oy vey.

My take =

ABC

Staying on the air:

The Bachelor

Lost

Get rid of Bachelor and ... Lost (can't fucking stand that show, though most of you prolly love it) and keep all of the maybe's...

Castle

Samantha Who?

Scrubs

CBS

Has an awesome line up, but find a way to save...

Without a Trace

FOX

Love Bones, and don't really give a shit about whos gone and who might be gone, though Chronicles was decent.

NBC

Gone:

Kings

Its a shame, I liked Kings.

and gotta keep all but life...

Could go either way:

Chuck

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

Life

My Name Is Earl

The CW

is just a teenie bopper network anyways, the whole network could get shit-canned for all I care.

Well, forget what I said about Chuck. I just saw the last episode, and they definitely did not want to end on this season. The last two minutes of the season finale was awesome. Man I hope they renew this show.

The CWis just a teenie bopper network anyways, the whole network could get shit-canned for all I care.
But Reaper is a good show. Or 'was' rather.

I think Dollhouse has gotten really good in the last 4 or 5 episodes and I like where they're going with everything so I hope it doesn't get cancelled. just because whedon is working on this doesn't mean he can't start another series...he tends to delegate responsibility anyway (tim minear with angel) and he has a knack for putting together a kick-ass creative team to run the show when he's busy working on other projects (buffy/angel/fray/etc). whedon's a multi-tasker.

I'm really upset about Reaper. It's one of the better shows on TV right now and it deserved a lot better than how CW handled it this season (airing the second season beginning in March...i had almost forgotten about the show altogether by that time). i'll miss sock and ben most of all. :sad:

and if Chuck doesn't get renewed, I'm gonna be pissed, especially after how the last episode ended. heroes should be fucking cancelled if nbc wants to cancel anything.

I didn't think scrubs had much more left in it. this season is much better than last but a lot of the stars are phoning it in (literally) and I know a lot of them are moving on after this season. i makes me cringe to think what's going to be left of the show if they continue it.

Archived