Hondo's Bar

Blargh - The Random Thread

The NZA

Is this an Andy Kaufman bit or is he genuinely insane/coked up? Maybe a little from column A, a little from column B?

That was too fucking hilariously weird and awesome, and much like any news story that involves more than 3 midgets I had to some it was an elaborate hoax. So I looked it up.

Late Night appearanceGlover is often remembered for his appearance on Late Night with David Letterman[7] on July 28, 1987, to promote the movie River's Edge, in which he starred.[8] Unbeknownst to Letterman and the audience, Glover appeared in character as "Rubin", from a then-unreleased movie Rubin and Ed, wearing platform shoes and a wig. Rather than a conventional interview, Glover staged an Andy Kaufman-like shtick. After being goaded by a woman in the audience (who some argue had been planted),[9] Glover became incensed and stated that he "knew that this was gonna happen" and that "the press, they can do things, they can twist things around". After a failed attempt to challenge Letterman to an arm-wrestling match, Glover delivered an impromptu karate kick just inches from Letterman's face while shouting, "I'm strong... I can kick!".[10] Letterman then abruptly ended the segment by walking off stage, saying "I'm going to check on the Top 10", and the program cut to commercial.The subsequent confusion and controversy surrounding his appearance was compounded by the fact that Rubin and Ed was not actually released until 1991; however, the movie had been in development since before Back to the Future — Crispin had actually already devised Rubin's "look" by 1985.[11] Almost no-one, apparently including Letterman, understood what Glover was doing and the interview became the hallmark of the "weird" TV guest.Glover returned to the Letterman show two weeks later and participated in a more nearly standard interview, but used a variety of delay tactics to avoid explaining the incident. Glover then appeared two years later promoting a record album. When again asked about his first appearance, Glover launched into a long story, mentioning meeting a fellow resembling himself named Rubin, and needing to appear on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson simultaneous to his appearance with Letterman. Here Letterman cut him off to talk about the album Glover was promoting, as the time allotted for the interview was more than halfway over.[12] Glover has subsequently refused to go into detail about the reasons for his behavior on the show, other than to mention that he's flattered that fans are still speculating on the performance over 20 years later.[13] Glover has also mentioned that he prefers there to be an "air of mystery" about the appearance.
Truly the man is a genius. I used to think that Jim Carrey was the perfect choice to play Andy Kauffman in Man on the Moon, now I'm suddenly wishing that Crispin Glover had done it instead. Edited by Iambaytor

what an awesome next couple weeks or so.

Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, 3D Dot Heroes, Metal Gear Solid 5, Mario Galaxy 2, Nas + Damian Marley's "Distant Relatives", Shad's new album "TSOL", Siege 4/Dark Reign's end, and more stuff im forgetting. may = new christmas.