Hondo's Bar

Inglourious Basterds

410px-Inglourious_Basterds_poster.jpg

Inglourious Basterds is an upcoming epic ensemble war film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Set in Nazi-occupied France during World War II, it has the largest number of speaking roles of any Tarantino film to date and was filmed in several locations, among them Germany and France.[2] Filming began in October 2008.[3] The title (and partial premise) of the upcoming film are inspired by Italian director Enzo Castellari's 1978 movie Inglorious Bastards, but it is not a remake of that film.

The director has repeatedly stressed that despite it being a war film, the movie will be his "spaghetti-western but with World War II iconography"[4]. In addition to spaghetti-westerns, the film also pays homage to the World War II "macaroni-combat" sub-genre (itself heavily influenced by spaghetti-westerns), as well as films by Jean-Luc Godard.

The film has been accepted into the main selection at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival in competition for the prestigious Palme d'Or and is set to have its world premiere there in May.[5] The Weinstein Company has stated August 21, 2009, as the tentative U.S. release date.

jesus christ, people - a Tarentino WWII spaghetti western that's half-scored by Ennio Morricone, due out in August (i think it just hit Cannes?) and we're not yet talking about this? :fuming:

was just talkin bout that with bishop - i dont get tarentino hate at all. dude's arrogant, sure, but Death Proof aside, no misses for me. Jackie Brown was slow, sure, but still better than a lot ive seen - and get me started on you Kill Bill 2 haters.

anyway, dude's been fucking with older, sometimes tired genres since he started, so i shoulda seen this coming.

and get me started on you Kill Bill 2 haters.

dude i know! i cant wrap my head around why the people that dislike kill bill do with such a passion. and speaking of the genre kick, i wonder how he's gonna tackle horror....... unless deathproof was it.

was just talkin bout that with bishop - i dont get tarentino hate at all. dude's arrogant, sure, but Death Proof aside, no misses for me. Jackie Brown was slow, sure, but still better than a lot ive seen - and get me started on you Kill Bill 2 haters.

anyway, dude's been fucking with older, sometimes tired genres since he started, so i shoulda seen this coming.

I think it's less his movies and more the fact that in any interviews I've seen with the man, speaking of personal experience, he comes off like a big wet flapping douche. He rambles like a lunatic and if you can discern what he's saying amongst the "ums" and "likes" even then he's only semi-coherant.

There was totally nothing to hate about Kill Bill Vol. 2 or Jackie Brown though. I'd even give Death Proof a pass as it was better than most people remember it being.

The ONLY way I feel that Death Proof feels like a disappointment is when compared exclusively to QT films. It's weak the same way Bold as Love can be called a weak Hendrix album (queue ASC's outrage).

Anyway, according to Google news, Inglorious Bastard debuts at Cannes tonight, so hopefully we'll hear some buzz tonight.

In addition to spaghetti-westerns, the film also pays homage to the World War II "macaroni-combat" sub-genre (itself heavily influenced by spaghetti-westerns)

So is this really how it works? Are we going to be talking about ravioli-romances, cannoli-comedies, lasagna-crime thrillers, ziti-sci-fi and penne-horror?

Quentin spitting on a reporter. People don't like him because he always comes off as pretty arrogant and self involved every time he speaks.

But I mean I guess if he has to be a self involved know-it-all douche, at least he's got the talent to back it up in spades. Although this one isn't getting fantastic reviews... but movie critics are almost uniformly obnoxious so you never can tell.

I really liked Death Proof... it should've been played first in the theaters instead of Planet Terror, I think it would have gone over better.

I really liked Death Proof... it should've been played first in the theaters instead of Planet Terror, I think it would have gone over better.

Same here. I saw so many people leaving after Planet Terror ended and during the first half of Death Proof. Which is a damn shame.

Are we going to be talking about ravioli-romances, cannoli-comedies, lasagna-crime thrillers, ziti-sci-fi and penne-horror?

you really run with these things.

yeah, LL argues the same, but i still think Death Proof dragged its nuts. Ending was grand, but after hearing about the Vanishing Point for like 20 minutes, i wanted to see zombies, or at least Russel taking out more hot chicks. and that's sad to say, coming from a fan of Tarentino's dialogue.

Death Proof is a lot easier to digest when you don't have an hour-and-a-half of movie under your belt. It's like trying to eat french fries after eating a giant burger, they taste a whole lot better when you don't have a half a pound of ground meat rolling around your large intestine.

Well, movies in which he's had a creative hand (not a producer credit) include:

Wrote and directed:

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Four Rooms (Segment: Penthouse - The Man from Hollywood)

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill Volume 1 & 2

Grindhouse: Death Proof

Inglourious Basterds

Wrote:

True Romance

Natural Born Killers

From Dusk Till Dawn

I have seen all of these except Four Room and Natural Born Killers, and all of them were somewhere on the scale between excellent and sublimely excellent, with Pulp fiction being the most sublimely excellent and Kill Bill and True Romance nipping at its heels, and with Jackie Brown being the least excellent.

I wouldn't be surprised in IG couldn't crack the top of the QT filmography, but I doubt it'll not be worth the price of admission.

Well, movies in which he's had a creative hand (not a producer credit) include:

Wrote and directed:

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Four Rooms (Segment: Penthouse - The Man from Hollywood)

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill Volume 1 & 2

Grindhouse: Death Proof

Inglourious Basterds

Wrote:

True Romance

Natural Born Killers

From Dusk Till Dawn

I have seen all of these except Four Room and Natural Born Killers, and all of them were somewhere on the scale between excellent and sublimely excellent, with Pulp fiction being the most sublimely excellent and Kill Bill and True Romance nipping at its heels, and with Jackie Brown being the least excellent.

I wouldn't be surprised in IG couldn't crack the top of the QT filmography, but I doubt it'll not be worth the price of admission.

so now I know that I've seen 95 percent of his work lol Four rooms is good! i totally recommend.

Yes, he novel was Rum Punch. I described it as the "least excellent" of his movies. I hardly consider that being hard on Jackie Brown. What QT movies you you put below Jackie Brown? Death Proof? From Dusk Til Dawn?

I'd probably rank Death Proof as last on my favorite QT directed films, Jackie Brown would be a close 2nd. But I own and have enjoyed all of his films.

Yes, he novel was Rum Punch. I described it as the "least excellent" of his movies. I hardly consider that being hard on Jackie Brown. What QT movies you you put below Jackie Brown? Death Proof? From Dusk Til Dawn?

Well let's see, I would rank Kill Bill Vol. 1, Death Proof, From Dusk Till Dawn, Four Rooms, and Natural Born Killers (though that's Oliver Stone's fault, not his) below Jackie Brown. Kill Bill Vol. 2 is just a cunthair above that line and Pulp Fiction leads only by mere centimeters.

Well let's see, I would rank Kill Bill Vol. 1, Death Proof, From Dusk Till Dawn, Four Rooms, and Natural Born Killers (though that's Oliver Stone's fault, not his) below Jackie Brown. Kill Bill Vol. 2 is just a cunthair above that line and Pulp Fiction leads only by mere centimeters.

Yeah, but you also gave Punisher: War Zone 4/5 and Observe & Report 5/5. So FDTD says, "You can lick Danny Trejo's dirty vampire anus."

Yes well you're the one who thinks that a score on a movie review means anything more than fuckall. (Honestly I only put scores on the end of my reviews to further discourage comparison between myself and Yahtzee Croshaw.)

Also: Fuck you.

Archived