Hondo's Bar

Sons of Anarchy

Nick, about S4. . .

It does get better in several ways, but it also kinda gets worse w/ the melodrama. I liked the episodes w/ Gemma's dad. It goes a long way to explaining why she is what she is. I thumanized her for me and also made her a bit more sympathetic--but she lost that sympathy pretty damned fast in S5.

I thought all of the Abel stuff was settled in S3? Eh, they kind of blend for me as I watched all four seasons in about a 2 week period. Anyway, the priest's reasons for taking Abel and holding on to him baffled and frustrated me throughout as well, but a fairly satisfying explanation is forthcoming. Stick w/ it.

Also, there is a great episode where Jax makes a decision about Abel that was pretty touching then shit goes down in a hotel that changes all that. Did you get to that one yet?

fair enough, but...just hoping for you/vagrant/etc's thoughts on season 3. you addressed a few early on in your prior post but i had to stop reading after a point for fear of spoilers - are my concerns that season 3 seems a bit aimless compared to 2 fair, or does it pan out better as it goes?

fair enough? heh. okay, but even w/ my misread i did prelude the spoiler w/ "about S4. . ." so spoiler clicking is all on you, son. :2T:

S3 ends strong in my opinion--much stronger in some ways than S4. I think I can relate to what you're feeling. The "aimless" comment can also be fair in some aspects as well. I don't want to elaborate on that more until you finish S3 though.

Just remind yourself that you're not watching a drama--you're watching a melodrama. Some of those tropes can become trying. I burned through the first two seasons in maybe 3 days. Then I was burned out a bit and watched the next two seasons over the next 10 days or so.

I think the comments on seasons 3 and 4 are right on. I liked season 3 okay, but it was definitely the slowest of the seasons. S3 ended really well, but it dragged during many episodes, although it was cool to have that Irish guy from Lost in a few of the episodes.

I really enjoyed season 4. It was definitely melodramatic as Haku puts it, but it is still great fun. So far, I am really into season 5.

well, you guys were mostly right about season 3.

dragged its nuts a bit but once they got to northern ireland it was better. started to meander a bit later again but the finale was great, seeing the double-cross and everyone satisfyingly get theirs (well, mostly everyone) was a good time.

was anyone else surprised how quick they took out/forgot about captain america (officer hale)? thought they were building him and then boom, gone in an early drive-by without as much as a card. shit was harsh, and obviously his dickbag brother is gonna be one of next season's problems like Acaveda from the Shield; only, this guy gets to be elected despite, you know, established ties with white supremacy groups in season 2. the fuckin' south, man

twaiting on the 27th for s04 to hit netflix, kertins & i should catch up quickly and be onto 5 with you guys. man i wish Rollins could come back, haha

ps

i guess tom arnold's never gonna come back? i thought he and his crew left town for recruiting talent, even if he's elsewhere...fuck, after that jail dude lost his other eye and now his wife, you figure they could at least reference handling that asshole for him

ps

i guess tom arnold's never gonna come back? i thought he and his crew left town for recruiting talent, even if he's elsewhere...fuck, after that jail dude lost his other eye and now his wife, you figure they could at least reference handling that asshole for him

That storyline comes back in season 4.

Also, even though a lot of the shit in the show seems a little far fetched, I have been watching NatGeo's Outlaw Bikers and some of this SOA stuff seems like it happened (the violence anyhow, melodrama is another), just not in Cali.

In one episode there was a war between the Hell's Angels and the Banditos (maybe the Warlocks, I can't remember) in the Scandinavian countries. Fools got wasted in broad day light at the Copenhagen International Airport, Swedes knocked off a weapons cache where they stole a rocket launcher and used it on another club in the middle of the city, and lots of other mayhem.

^^Biker gangs fighting w/ rocket launchers? WTF? That's some Micheal Bay shit there. Anyway, Nick, you're in for a treat as Otto and Tom Arnold/Jackie Treehorn kick their subplot up again in S4. Otto is still playing a small but important role in S5, too.

Nick keeps mentioning Rollins all the time, but were his S2 appearances that great? He was kind of underused as I recall. His kid was a real bastard though.

Vagrant, since you seem to be the only one current on S5, what did you think of the two most recent episodes?

S5 spoilers...

Did you not think Jax took it way too casually that the Irish prick blew up all their bikes? I mean, damn. Speaking of damn--I'll never look at Walton Goggins the same again. That was just traumatic. Hopefully any future Shield cast appearances will be more like Lem's--i.e. sans assless chaps.

And I wonder what Jax's endgame for Pope is? I can't believe he's planning on working w/ this guy indefinitely. Tig's daughter and Op alone have to mark Pope as a dead man in the SOA book, no?

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
blatantly labeld spoilers so Nick won't bitch.

S5E7 = mindnumbinglyinfuriating uncharacteristic stupidity in a character to further plot. . .

I'm looking @ you Uncer. I read series creator Sutter said that Clay is in for the long haul b/c he was the main crux of Jax's conflict, but I was hoping he was bullshitting. To me, Jax confronting Gemma about his father's death would be a real capper to his family drama. After the ending tot his episode you'd think that confrontation would be soon, but w/ three more seasons on contract you know that face-off may happen, but it ain't gonna be anything permanent.

Poor Able.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

shit my hat...three posts in a row? oh well...

S5 is over and series creator and tongue biter supremo Kurt Sutter gives a great interview here on what's in store for the next season.

* He plans for the series to go seven seasons.

* Clay will likely die "soon."

* Donal Logue will be back as the LEO antagonist du jour next season. Stahl is still my favorite LEO baddie, but Logue is a great character actor and his brother hell bent on revenge could be interesting.

* Sutter says Jax is realizing he's a better outlaw than family man. Tara looks to be fucked.

* No confirmation yet on the return of Drea de Matteo or Jimmy Smits' characters next season bc of the actors' schedules. However, Sutter would like to see both characters return.

shit my hat...three posts in a row? oh well...

S5 is over and series creator and tongue biter supremo Kurt Sutter gives a great interview here on what's in store for the next season.

* Clay will likely die "soon."

cant see it going any other way, really...the only card he has left to play is the stretch of an IRA weapon connect, no idea how he'd even play that hand. he's waiting to meet a violent end, not a lotta pity for him either.

finale tied up so very many loose ends, had to figure:

a) tara might unite with that chick from sopranos (if she does come back, man i hope smitts does)

b) tension after jax played it loose with his crew for his machievalian plan (bobby stepping down sucks, but was fair)

c) yeah that former fed guy with mad guns & history of violence seemed likely for the villain, i mean who else is left in their way? even cartel got dealt with.

• 9 months later...

S06E01...decided to try to up the ante & be darker than it needed to, i guess? this one & Justified both feel episodic for me, at least as far as one season connecting to the next in a compelling way sometimes. i don't know if i'm gonna stick with this one unless i hear it gets really good or ends soon.

Did S6E1 air on TV yet? I know some new shows leaked online already, and I dl'd this ep. a few days back. Anyway, I hear what your saying about not being s psyched for this season. I watched S6E1 up until the intro/vo montage was up and tuned out. I just wasn't in the mood for it. This might be a season where I wait and take it in 3-4 episode chunks. :/