Hondo's Bar

Brüno

I haven't seen BRUNO yet, and based on all the full male frontal I hear the film has I may just wait for the edited TV version. Borat was a bit of a disappointment to me, mostly b/c I waited so long to see it and it had been hyped so much. I was a big fan of the Ali G show on BBC & HBO. In Da House was hilarious. Maybe he'll bring Ali back for a Borat/Bruno mockumentary type film. WSM4Life.

The more I think about this movie, the more I feel that Sasha Baron Cohen is in the same league as performers like Andy Kaufman, Peter Sellers and Gene Wilder. Yeah, alot of people don't get it, but that's almost the point, and that makes it even better for those people who are in on the joke (and after knowing many phony hipsters over the years, I've really come to dislike the notion that broad appeal is a bad thing in and of itself, but this is different). This movie, like the show, gets really uncomfortable at times, and I think it won't be appreciated by people that don't like having those boundaries abused. The movie is not without it's weaker spots, the overall thrust (heh) of the film is brilliant.

I haven't seen BRUNO yet, and based on all the full male frontal I hear the film has I may just wait for the edited TV version. Borat was a bit of a disappointment to me, mostly b/c I waited so long to see it and it had been hyped so much. I was a big fan of the Ali G show on BBC & HBO. In Da House was hilarious. Maybe he'll bring Ali back for a Borat/Bruno mockumentary type film. WSM4Life.

It's all censored except one gag which is hilarious.

I'm having trouble reconciling with the fact that this movie's biggest detractors on the board here are the same people normally stimulated by bright, fast-moving colours. I still really need to see this movie sober, but in the semi-formulaic way of European unfamiliar with American/popular culture misinterprets things in a comical fashion, I viewed this as just about hte same deal as Borat, just with less homosexual jokes. There's some dead-brilliant moments in there( Mel Gibson, UFC), but I don't get how people are really separating this from Borat at all.

you know, if it was the Daily Show, id understand not getting american references, but im always kinda surprised to hear you say that about this kinda stuff. any examples of shit you recall that kinda flies past you? i always assumed our culture was pervasive enough most things'd be caught. i mean, its rare for brit comedy to make me go look shit up.

Nono, as you're well aware I'm a huge american culture whore, and a self-loathing foreigner, I'm talking about Bruno & Borat both being accountings of Europeans comically misinterpreting American culture staples, and exploiting that cultural gap to lure dumb yanks into serious incrimination(Rodeo/UFC/Drunken Camper shenanigans/baby modelling).

ah.

well, for lack of a screener, i seriously wanna see this, mebbe this weekend or so when sen's back, LL and co are down too, so lemme know if there's any locals left. im hoping to catch this with more fans of the Ali G show and get an impression that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh I saw it the other night. Pretty low quality cam job but watchable enough. I loved the shit out of it. Any man that would not only put his dignity on the line but also his life for laughs is a top notch comedian in my book. He was in some pretty effed up situations with some pretty conservative people. If you dont like the humour you gotta admit the mans got cojones (i know this because I saw them....a lot).

• 3 months later...

Finally got to see it - yeah, i get why it wasnt for everyone, this pushed the envelope of uncomfortableness/cockery well past Borat, but man was i dying with

his promo show, the cock yelling "bruno!!" was excellent, and other bits all over but really, it was just a buildup to the Man-Slam with Straight Dan, that was classic. the scene was entirely made by the fat homophobic kid who went from pumped to absolutely heartbroken by the end.

and yeah, Cohen's balls of steel for that middle eastern shit.

Archived