Hondo's Bar

The Last Airbender

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, well there you go. Only 1 Lynch film I enjoyed then. Except for that History of Violence I'm not a big fan of Croenhdbhbiergs either. He did THE FLY though, right? That was a good'n. Oh, and did Cromagnon also direct the one where Vigo is a Russian gangster? That was a good flick as well.

Just about everything in this teaser is right. The kid playing Aang is clearly a capable martial artist, but of course, there are no clues to his ability to act. The airbending, which is easier to represent in animation, is well done. And the Fire Navy ships....so cool. Bravo!

A bunch of articles have come out today after Shyamalan and company invited some press on the set.

From io9.com

From MTV.com

From ign.com

From superherohype.com

Some thoughts: A crew of 650 with 250 dedicated to construction in the largest indoor set ever built on the East Coast...sounds impressive. Descriptions of the set, like mentioning the spirit oasis in the North Pole and specific details about it (reflecting pool and cherry blossom tree), give me lots of hope. If the Air Temple in the teaser is any indication, the world of Avatar is coming to life in this movie.

They said the political drama would be upped (which is good, as the show already has pretty intense political drama) and the slapstick would be turned down. While that's probably for the best, one of the great things about the show is how it so many well developed characters that have range from humorous to emotionally serious, and while I suspect the seriousness will remain, I hope Aang is still a fun-loving good-hearted kid like he is in the show. They also said Sokka was going to be toned down a bit and not be as much of a comic relief. I just hope he's still sarcastic and loves bad jokes. If that still comes through, I agree that he would do well to be more serious in a live-action movie. Obviously, Appa will have to be CG, but I was happy to see that they have a mechanical top half for when the gang is riding him, but I was happier to hear that they were working on bringing the "essence of his personality" to the movie. Appa as a character, rather than as a vehicle, is something I could see some movie makers deciding not to translate from the show, but everything in these articles tells me there are attempting to err on the side of faithfulness to the source material.

I had a nightmare a month ago about shyamalan fucking up this movie. I just hope my dream doesn't come true. The trailer looks great... but you just never know!

Honestly, everything I've read about it, there's alot of things I'm no longer worried about. I'm no longer worried about him bringing the world to live action, I'm not worried about him taking liberties with the story or characters, I'm not worried about the bending or the fight scenes. At this point I'm just worried about this Noah Ringer kid giving us an Anakin Skywalker Episode I performance. Aang's performance in this movie will be ten times as important to this move as Jake Lloyd's was in Episode I. He needs to have the full range of sorrow, angry, silliness, somberness, joy and love. It's hard enough to cast a professional adult actor to play a role as demanding as Aang's. But Aang was voiced in the show by a pre-teen boy (despite Nickelodeon really pushing for an adult woman to voice the role), so I'm staying optimistic until I footage that reflects acting. His kung-fu is clearly excellent.

In the end, it the movie doesn't work on screen, I still have the show to watch over and over again....

WTHF!?!? Jax's new Avatar is an entire fight scene from the show! Gnarly.*

*I'm bringing it back!

It was gone and you brought it back!

I was deciding between a few of them. There was this one, which was a Yojimbo-homage hallucination Aang has in Season 3:

Showdown_.gif

I also liked this one

Super%20Heated_.gif

It was gone and you brought it back!

I was deciding between a few of them. There was this one, which was a Yojimbo-homage hallucination Aang has in Season 3:

Showdown_.gif

I also liked this one

Super%20Heated_.gif

Sokka is one most un-gnarly dude for not letting you hotlink. He's like gnarly kryptonite.

• 3 weeks later...

New mugshots cast pics, including the first look at Sokka and Katara and a poster-thing-mockup:

Aangfilm.jpgKatarafilm.jpgSokkafilm.jpgZukofilm2.jpg

tla_viacompromo.jpg

Thoughts: I'd like to see a picture of Aang smiling, just to know that he can, and that he won't be somber the whole movie. This is the best look we've gotten of Zuko's scar, and I think it looks good. Sokka and Katara look as good as can be expected. Good to see they didn't go for blue snow jackets. The Waterbending the in the poster thing was clearly put in for the purpose of being still art, but it's promising nonetheless. After seeing The Half-Blood Prince yesterday and seeing Dumbledore's conger up some massive fire, I'm convinces the technology is there with CGI to make magically manipulated fire look convincing. Don't know who the Earthbender is, but the city looks a bit like Omashu, so...Bumi? Who knows? The first season has a bunch of minor Earthbending characters. The Firebender looks like Zuko, but could be someone else.

Overall, looking good.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finally sat down and watched some Airbender tonight. I watched the first four episodes of Season One, and to be honest, I wasn't blown away. Not that it was bad by a longshot, but I was kinda like--hmm, I could be re-watching the rest of S3 of LOST right now. Then I jumped randomly to an episode in Season 2 called "Zucko Alone." That episode blew me away! I'm in it for all three seasons now and am now psyched for the film in a big way.

Zuko Alone is a good episode. A like homage to Westerns, specifically to the film Shane. There's another homage to Westerns in the finale of the episode after it, The Chase, with some good Mexican stand off tension in an old abandoned desert town. There are a ton of great episodes, especially in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. The 1st season has it's gems too. The 6th episode has George Takei as a guest star.

Archived