Hondo's Bar

Kinect

The NZA

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

150 for the standalone, and 300 for the arcade bundle(which comes wiht 4!, 4gbs of memory and a slot for a hdd that doesn't exist!)... the bundle isn't bad but man that 150 for exisiting owners... better is the euro prices 150/130 pounds.... which is about 200 US HAHAHA

as per normal fuck the assuies!

• 2 months later...

No, there are "real games" that could be awesome on this.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euNOPKYFbPc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

23wo9zo.gif

Edited by Newtype

MS spends $500 million on Kinect launch

Microsoft is gearing up for a massive marketing push to launch Kinect -- a controller-free Wii-killer for the Xbox -- and blow away the competition come Christmas.

Backed by a half-billion-dollar budget, the tech giant is rolling out a major movie-style marketing blitz aimed at driving its motion-sensing device to the top of holiday wish lists.

Like a much anticipated summer blockbuster, Kinect will appear on everything from soda cans to cereal boxes and will span television, magazines and the Internet.

The company began planning the launch 18 months ago with the help of Hollywood producer Steven Spielberg.

"Kinect is the largest, most integrated marketing initiative in Xbox history, bigger than its launch," said Robert Matthews, general manager of global marketing communications for Xbox. "We are going to be spending millions to launch this globally."

Microsoft launched Xbox in July 2000 with a $500 million marketing campaign, but part of that went to subsidies to make the hardware more affordable.

This time around Microsoft has struck a promotional partnership with Burger King. Four million cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi will plug Kinect, along with 60 million cereal and snack boxes from Kellogg's.

Meanwhile, some 7,000 retailers will stay open past midnight on Nov. 4 -- the day Kinect goes on sale -- to stimulate demand.

Kinect will take over YouTube's home page and have a big presence on Nickelodeon and Disney digital properties. Microsoft, with the help of its ad agency, McCann Erickson, is spending ad dollars in places it doesn't normally to target moms as well as kids.

TV spots, created by AgencyTwoFifteen, will pop up on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" next Monday and on Fox's "Glee."

The print ad buy includes titles such as "People" and "InStyle," among others. Microsoft's Xbox team is also organizing a major outdoor event in Times Square, where many of the huge billboards will show Kinect ads.

The new device will face off against many other rivals, including the just launched Sony PlayStation Move bundle and perennial favorite Nintendo Wii.

The launch should help goose an industrywide slowdown in both video game hardware and software.

According to the latest NPD Group data, videogame hardware sales across the industry were down 19 percent in September compared to the same month a year ago.

So far this year, hardware sales are down 13 percent, to $3 billion, while video game software is off 8 percent to $4.93 billion.

fuck.

this kinda thing makes me nervous, just like the revelation of how much EA/bioware's pouring into the next KOTOR. few thoughts here, cemented by GAF:

1) you can see where Kinect could've easily cost MS a billion total, between R&D and the like.

2) it's (anecdotally) selling well so far, if you just look at amazon preorders.

3) if it doesn't, though...you gotta bear in mind MS eating a 5 billion loss on x-box, only recently profiting on 360, and now this. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say MS' gaming division could be in big trouble in the future if this doesn't do rather well...ive been reading articles where shareholders want MS to get back to where its profitable, and that's software.

4) this is (at least) a new console budget. i think it's safe to say we really could hit 2013 or just past before seeing the nextbox.

5) for comparison, i just learned that Sony spent £750,000 at the UK launch of the Move.

6) MS' forecast is 3 million sales by christmas.

let's be honest here: the tech is exciting, recent demos (see the FPS video, newt's post prior to this) make it feel like it's not nailed down, and the release is right around the corner. it's hard for me to not see this as a billion-dollar gamble, though i'd be really interested to know if MS determined this was an easier sell with shareholders than a new system launch. either way: this could be their last gamble of nearly this size, and could easily be the bomb that starts things falling apart (FF: Spirits Within for Square, Shenmue/any number of things for Sega, etc), could be a huge, sustainable surprise if they manage to capture the hype/sustainability of Wii sales..but we're still talking about a peripheral.

also, launch lineup (link has EU ones too):

Kinect Adventures (Good Science Studio/Microsoft Game Studios) included with every Kinect sensor

Kinectimals (Frontier Developments Ltd./Microsoft Game Studios) $49.99 ERP (US)/$59.99 ERP (US) limited collector's edition. Limited collector's editions of the "Kinectimals" game packaged with a 7" plush toy that unlocks a new animal and toy in the game will be available at select retailers.

Game Party: In Motion (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) $39.99 ERP (US)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 The Videogame (Electronic Arts/EA Bright Light), 49.99 ERP (US)

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Ubisoft), $49.99 ERP (US)

Dance Central (MTV Games/Harmonix), $49.99 ERP (US)

The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout (THQ), $49.99 ERP (US)

DanceMasters (Konami), $49.99 ERP (US)

EA Sports Active 2 (EA SPORTS), $99.95 ERP (US) (Includes Heart Rate Monitor)

Zumba Fitness (Majesco), $49.99 ERP (US)

Kinect Sports (Rare/Microsoft Game Studios) $49.99 ERP (US)

MotionSports (Ubisoft), $49.99 ERP (US)

Deca Sports Freedom (Hudson Entertainment)

Kinect Joy Ride (Big Park/Microsoft Game Studios), $49.99 ERP (US)

Adrenalin Misfits (Konami), $49.99 ERP (US)

Fighters Uncaged (Ubisoft), $49.99 ERP (US)

Sonic Free Riders ($49.95)

for me, the XBLA indie stuff they showed at TGS was way more exciting, but it was all niche stuff and won't be ready for a while. 18 titles at drop isn't bad, depending on how they sell...

what do you think? place your bets!

I think I should have done my part and broken and bought a new 360 this year. I'm really letting the 360 fanboy crowd of admirers I've gathered down.

I also think I'ma go home and take a look @ this fabled FPS video, because interactive FPS that doesn't look PS1 grade AND doesn't involve waggling a wiimote? I'm sold on that.

Even though I've had 2 Wiis(the latest of which i just handed to Arnah as opposed to trading it in) that I never play, I'd like to see some movement-based games that aren't cooking Mama/Warioware/Trauma Centre and that don't suck.

ah, take your wii talk to the thread - there's some fun stuff this holiday season; Kirby's Epic Yarn just came out, DKR returns, few others on the horizon.

FPS video kinda represents the coolness of what could come from this vs what's being seen at the moment, i dont wanna read into it too much but it's not a good look.

I don't mean to speak all doom & gloom, MS says they made 1 billion in revenue (not profit) just off XBL marketplace content/avatar clothing and XBL fees, and their attachment rate is still quite high. I don't want to paint a picture where they're not profitable (they are/can be) or that the market doesn't need them (i think it does); the question is, after eating billions on losses for every system launch, and now this, how much do they have to make to justify a hypothetical xbox 720 budget 3-4 years from now? at what point does the budget dry up, despite having room for profits (again, like when Sega had to pull the plug on the DC while it was still selling good, due to bankruptcy)?

the other angle is that with this move, plus Sony in no hurry to move up, this leaves room for a new Wii HD/+/whatever's next

(oh god please go against all common sense and do a Gamecube 2 nintendo :love: )

to drop let's say holiday 2011 and have the market all to itself for at least 2 years. Nintendo already ate everyone's lunch this gen by moving laterally from what everyone else was doing, gotta figure they're not just courting 3rd parties for the 3DS alone, right? could be way off here, but yeah...kinda wondering how good 360 games are gonna look a few years from now.

• 1 month later...

2.5 million Kinects bought

Earlier this month we announced that Kinect hit the million mark in 10-days. We got some new numbers to share: With the help of Black Friday last week, Kinect has now sold over 2.5 Million units around the world.

I’ll post a link to the official press release when once it is posted.

fucking A, pouring $ into advertising right around black friday sure doesn't hurt. maybe they're on track to their 5 million goal by the year's end? i hear supplies are currently constrained, not sure when the #'s will drop off...fuck, shows what i know about peripherals & marketing.

also, i think i read the PS Move has sold like 3 million as well, so hers to the revival of motion controls! seriously though, be interesting to see this thing get some core games.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been pretty dubious of that game ever since the only thing they were showing for many months was a live action trailer with no gameplay footage.

Trailer looks pretty awful. On rails House of the Dead style, but with slashing? 's what is looks like from here.

Maybe they'll shake things up with some sort of brilliant gameplay and I'll have to zip my lips, kinda doubt it though.

oh, i bet you did.

we're gonna run that one down tonight. also: the artstyle's cool, but it got way repetitive by the first level's end. i know there were more moves to unlock, but it completely struck me as that kind've game i wouldve gushed over at 14 or so but would have a hard time revisiting. might just be me.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...