Hondo's Bar

Demon's Souls

Newtype

god, ive actually got to play offline just to keep black world tendency in worlds 2 and 4 now.

down to just the getting all spell trophy (im about 1 and a half playthroughs away, saving for last), and the usual suspects for hoarding stones: hard (2-2 sucks! the crystal lizards stopped showing up (;_;), blade (i really have to get better at sneaking up on black skeletons in 4-2; i go to soulsuck and they turn around and kill me...), and marrow (fucking mosquitoes....). ill get this done eventually, but there's a lotta grinding for chunks in my future.

I just got my copy in the mail from amazon w/ soundtrack. I don't know anything about this game other than it is a Rogue-like, and is balls hard. Soon as i'm done with New Vegas i'm jumping into this game (as my first non-digital download PS3 game in my 3 years of owning one). I look forward to crying like a bitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So, I started Demon's Souls last night.

At first I was like, this isn't so bad. I died a couple times but I learned from it.

smiling_smeagol.jpg

Then I got to the phalanx boss and I figured, it's big, it's black, set it on fire. Didn't die once, and it was good. I think I was even quoted as saying "this game isn't so hard".

proud-lion-26141285093081Mo56.jpg

Then I got to the Tower Knight what the fuck ever boss right before I went to bed, died numerous times and used all my rebirth crystals after getting raped by him over and over again.

what-the-fuck-was-that-79735-530-486.jpg

I tried, and I tried and I kept getting raped. I guess there's noting left for me to do but to go around and farm souls for hours on end trying to make my Halberd stronger. The game has officially beaten me into submission.

40.jpg

Edited by Bindusara

Cleared the first parts of the 4th level, trying to figure out what the hell the shiny thing the bird thing wants. Went back post getting gear from the joke of a boss (he stood there while I shot him in the face) then powered up more and rolled out to 2-1 and pretty much raped the Armor Spider. (o.k it got a little close towards the end)

So far, knowledge is power and doing homework when I have free time at work really seems to be paying off. Even if I don't quite understand when the subquests come in and how I unintentionally killed one of the saints. I did get a little worried when I was killing the non aggressive miners since i heard there was an alignment thing but also don't quite get how it works yet.

Sadly most places I go to research online assume you understand the game completely when they talk about it. Ah well.

yeah, the demons souls wiki is your best friend.

dont worry too much about who you kill, unless you're in the nexus - then you might be fucked. as for the alignment thing, there's character tendancy(goes up when killing invading players, or black phantoms; down when killing non-attacking humans) which serves as something of karma, and world tendency which is neutral, unless you die a lot in there as a human (goes darker; enemies are tougher but give more XP), or you kill a boss (goes lighter; easier enemies, less XP). there are items you can use to affect these as well - you can get through your first playthrough without knowing every detail about them, but the way they affect your stats & such can help you.

another thing people often mistake is the idea that you're gimped in soul form because you don't have access to all your HP - what many dont notice is, you hit harder than you do when you're a human. check your stats as both and you'll see they're different as well.

post up any questions you have, man - los, newt, mal and myself will likely chime in to help. so yeah, fuck those miners, kill them as you please! just watch it, they do huge damage if they connect. also, killing the armored spider tells me you're at least competent with a bow - feel free to go back and kill that asshole dragon that was trying to fry you on the bridge in 1-2 if you want satisfaction, as well as mad souls.

Today's adventure: You know that line about how sometimes in life you're fighting a skeleton and after you win you get shot in the back by something you didn't even know was there? Yeah, that was tonight.

Still going smoothly. Bow is pretty awesome and I melee'd the fatty mc fatass of 4-1 easy. Just had to do some dodging here and there and bam he went down.

Shot at the dragon some, but couldn't put a dent in him.

Shot at old king fuckall some, but same results. Better bow needed.

• 8 months later...

Demon's Souls servers shut down at end of May [North American servers only]

After numerous extensions, ATLUS confirmed it will finally turn off the North American servers for Demon's Souls on May 31, 2012.

The servers will officially turn off at 11:59 PM PST. ATLUS says the single-player portion of the game will remain unaffected. The company will have two separate World Tendency events next month, May 1-15 and May 16-31, based on fan voting.

ATLUS encourages all players to sign on May 31 one last time before saying goodbye.

On October 6, 2009, North American gamers’ expectations of what an online roleplaying experience could be were forever changed. With Demon’s Souls, gamers received a title of breathtaking scope and vision, a project built on experimental cooperative and competitive multiplayer concepts, offering users both direct and indirect methods of communication and interaction. Elements of every connected player’s single player world carried into the worlds of others, sometimes as nothing more than an echo or afterimage, and other times in the form of an alliance or invasion. With countless hazards to memorize and plan for spread across each of the game’s sprawling dozen-plus worlds, the ability for players to leave hints—or, potentially, deceptions—and to view the final moments of other adventurers’ lives, created an unprecedented form of RPG crowd-sourcing that remains revolutionary to this day.

When subtle interactions were insufficient assistance, players could call across dimensions for assistance, pulling the weakened spirit forms of other adventurers—unable to communicate using conventional voice chat in order to preserve the game’s intense atmosphere—into their worlds to help them defeat the game’s unforgettable boss monsters. Other less altruistic spirit form users could invade the world of living adventurers and try to revive themselves by quite literally stealing that life from another. All of these online elements, all of the ways in which gamers would interact with each other, served to enhance and complement the core game and were designed so as to neither diminish nor distract from the experience and thrill of simply playing the game.

It has been a tremendous honor and privilege for all of our staff at ATLUS to have been involved with so innovative and groundbreaking an interactive entertainment experience. We poured our heart and soul into every facet of our involvement with Demon’s Souls, particularly the title’s memorable Deluxe Edition, which served as the only avenue through which to purchase the game’s official strategy guide. It was also of the utmost importance for us to sustain the game’s online experience as long as possible, even beyond the point at which sales could help to offset the expense. Regrettably, the online servers cannot be sustained forever and now the end draws near. Thank you to the unparalleled passion and support of the Demon’s Souls community throughout these last two and a half years. The online adventure may end soon, but the memory of it—just like that of every boss strategy, every level floor plan, and hidden secret—lives on in the gamers for whom the game was so special.

Long live Boletaria!”

pour-one-out.jpg

any of you ninja-dogs thinking about playing this one should do so soon - it's absolutely playable offline, but you miss out on so much magic, and one particular event that might still be my favorite moment from the series.

• 1 month later...

Lol indeed yea I looked it up cuz I figured there must be a friken wiki like there is for dark souls. Looks like its the real phalanx vs those scrubs you fite in dark souls...

But still all that just to lvl up jeez

Edited by IceManML

Demon's Souls Servers Staying Online

ATLUS said today it's extending the North American online servers for Demon's Souls. The game was originally going offline at the end of this month. No specific time table has been set, but ATLUS said the servers will be left on for the "foreseeable future."

"We're incredibly excited to be able to announce that the Demon's Souls online experience will persist for a while longer," stated Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Marketing and Sales at ATLUS. "While it originally seemed as though it would be unfeasible for us to continue to sustain the servers, a number of developments have made it possible for us to continue to invest in and support our fans as they have continued to invest in and support us and Demon's Souls.

"For all the gamers who have yet to discover the game's amazing online experience, we're happy to say you can still log on and find out why Demon's Souls is still regarded by many as one of the finest games of all time."

ATLUS won't rule out the possibility of future extensions of the North American servers, provided user activity and interest remain constant, the publisher said.

O fuk yea son... Don't be pullin my leg man... April fools day was 2months ago damnit @_@!

Gotta tell ya tho there are WAY MORE replay ghosts in demon souls vs dark souls at least rite now...

It was almost overwhelming playing last nite..

Edited by IceManML

Yea so uh... How do u rate msgs? I kinda hate the system in demon souls... I can never find a return route after defeating that initial boss... That is after going deep into that path that opens behind them. Stupid gem lizard lured me rite into a friggin trap... ugh man