Hondo's Bar

Jorge Cantu makes RBI history!

Benz

Jorge Cantu just homered, resulting in a new record first 9 games of a season all with RBIs (He already has an impressive 14 RBIs total so far).

I'll post the story when it comes up, but hey, congrats Marlins!

jorge-cantu.jpg

Glad I've got him on my Fantasy teams... :sad:

Jorge Cantu, who continued his record RBI streak, and surprise starter Brett Carroll homered to lead Florida.

By CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

The Marlins leaned on a familiar source for scoring help when Jorge Cantu drove in another run, extending his record RBI streak. But they also tapped into a new run supplier on Wednesday when Brett Carroll came off the disabled list and lit up the scoreboard.

Cantu and Carroll walloped solo home runs while pitcher Chris Volstad provided a workmanlike performance as the Marlins held on for a 5-3 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. Thus ended a mini-slide in which the Marlins had lost their two previous games to the Reds in extra innings.

Wednesday's game never made it that far.

Carroll emerged from the DL and was thrust into the lineup in place of Chris Coghlan, who was nursing soreness in his left side, the result of his spectacular, diving catch on the warning track the night before.

And Carroll made the most of the opportunity with a single, double, and fourth-inning home run off Reds starter Homer Bailey.

``{Tuesday] I was in a rehab game not knowing what the next move for me was going to be,'' Carroll said.

But it was Cantu who provided the most memorable blow, a fifth-inning shot off Bailey that put Cantu in the record books.

He became the first major league player since the RBI became an official statistic in 1920 to drive in at least one run in each of his team's first nine games.

``It hit me when I was running the bases,'' Cantu said.

`SURREAL'

He also ranged closer to the major league record of 17 straight games with an RBI, which was set in 1922 by Ray Grimes Sr. of the Chicago Cubs. Going back to last season, Cantu has now driven in a run in 13 consecutive games.

``That's hard to do, but hopefully he keeps extending it because it's good for us,'' said manager Fredi Gonzalez.

Cantu's RBI streak is the longest in the majors since Mike Piazza of the New York Mets drove in a run in 15 consecutive games during the 2000 season.

``It's a little bit surreal,'' Cantu said. ``It's a great honor. It's something I'll take pride in.''

Pending the results of games late Wednesday, Cantu -- who led the Marlins with 100 RBI last season -- was second in the majors with 14 RBI. He trailed only St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, who has 15.

Cantu had a chance to extend the streak in the first inning when he stepped to the plate with runners at first and second. But he grounded into a double play. He got his RBI with one out in the fifth and drew loud applause from the crowd of 14,390 when his feat was noted on the scoreboard.

``This win was very important because we had two very tough losses,'' Cantu said.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/15/1580...l#ixzz0lAFBJswM

Archived