Hondo's Bar

Doomsday Preppers is an American reality television series that airs on the National Geographic Channel. Wise Food Storage Company is an official sponsor of the show.

The program profiles various survivalists, or "preppers," preparing for the end of civilization. The series interviews people who are preparing to survive the various circumstances through which life as we know it might come to an end, including economic collapse, societal collapse, electromagnetic pulse, terrorist acts, nuclear incidents, fuel shortages, war, pandemics, geomagnetic reversal, etc. The interviews detail the actions that the preppers have taken, and end with an expert analysis and recommendations for improvements.

I'm surprised that there was no thread about this reality. It's been a couple of months since it started airing here in Finland and I have to say that I have mixed feelings about it. There are some guys with really smart ideas out there (one guy was making his own fuel from some kind of oil and other recycled liquids), and others that look plain stupid and live in a fantazy world. Deluding themselves with their plan of action for an eventual apocalypse. I mean its ok for single guys or us to talk about the apocalypse, plame games and read comics about it. But, when all that start to affect the lives of your family or your son and you include him in your hobby (Its like that line from Terminator 2 when John says kinda sad that he used to think that people lived like this. Flying helicopters, practicing shooting, etc and then someone says to him: dindt you know? Your mom is crazy). Like a father I would let my son live a normal life, instead of preparing him for something that's not very plausible. Anyway, I kinda got carried on there.

Have any of you seen this? Thoughts?