Hondo's Bar

Comic Book Price Guides & Grading

So, I'm looking into selling some of my comic book collection and started checking online for priceguides and am not coming up with much as far as online guides go. I found http://comicspriceguide.com and set up an account, but it seems like prices are not so accurate/current when compared to e-bay auctions.

I'm seeing Overstreet is still publishing a guide, but I was wondering what guides, if any, the comic book collecting Hondonian is using currently. I'd rathe rnot plunk down $20+ for a current Overstreet guide as the whole point of selling this stuff is to make room in my house and make a little money.

Also, this CGC grading system is crazy. I never had to fuck with that back in the day because I generally wouldn't sell/buy/trade anything more than $20. I mean, looking at differences in prices from a 9.2 to a 9.6 is pretty drastic but I don't see how it's worth it to get some of these lesser issue graded.

For instance, using the comicspriceguide.com rating a 9.4 copy of Uncanny X-Men #382 (Bishop's first appearance) is $12 "raw," which I'm guessing means no professional grading done. And the max "raw" value" of the comic is $24 for a flwless, "gem" quality copy. However, if you have the same issue graded at a 9.4 the value doubles to $24 somehow. And forget about getting this issue graded above a 9.4--now you're talking about you're $10 comic possibly being valued at $70-$360. So that $15 CGC grading fee seems like a gamble worth taking. Until you go over to ebay and see ain't nobody paying over $20 for that damn book. I saw one poor fool actually sent this off to CGC and had it graded at a 9.4. Fool charging $69. smh.