Hondo's Bar

Ghosts of the Abyss

If you were wondering what James Cameron has been up to since he directed Titanic, well, here it is. Ghosts of the Abyss is a rather short (but very good) documentary on the Titanic. It's shot entirely in 3d, and it's best viewed in Imax, but normal movie theaters provide 3d glasses as well (they work like the plastic disney 3d glasses). I saw it in a normal theater, and the 3d worked fine.

Basically, Cameron felt like going back to the titanic after the movie and really checking things out. He invites Bill Paxton along, and they go about inventing new techniques for capturing things at insane depths. They inspect the Titanic inch by inch, locating the rooms of specific residents, and telling their real stories. It's amazing how much they know about what happened on the titanic. It's very very well done, and you feel like you're right there with them as they go through some pain in the ass stuff and come up with some fucking cooooool inventions to film this thing. I went in not really caring much about the titanic at all (though I am one of the few who admits to loving the movie), I just went cause I'm a fan of Cameron, and halfway through, I was immersed, I was genuinely interested in everything they were saying. And the 3d is no gimmick. Not only is it the neatest fucking thing you've ever seen, but it's very utilitarian. Besides a couple of times where they stick stuff in your face for fun, it really helps with this picture in picture thing tehy had going on where you'd see three camera angles or so on screen at the same time. Other than that, it just really helped with the immersion, and the splendor of it all. I'm not ready to call 3d the new wave of filmmaking or anything, but I think this movie shows that it could be a very cool niche for those that wont abuse it. But yeah, I was suprised at how cool this movie was. Like I said, I coulda given a rats ass about the titanic when I walked into the theater, but I was glued to my seat the whole time.