viewjoegc3.jpg

view5.jpg

view3.jpg

view3.jpg

viewtiful_joe5.jpg

viewtiful_joe6.jpg

Reviews are in:

100 Cheat Code Central Platinum

Quite simply, VJ is a Tour de Force of style meets substance and succeeds on every level.

100 GameNow

The graphical style is truly innovative, something I haven't been able to say about a game in a long time - it truly looks like a manga come to life. [Oct 2003, p.47]

100 GamePro

Viewtiful Joe is immediate, extremely challenging, and grows progressively deeper as you advance. It is frantic, exhilarating, and addictive. In short, it is a classic and everything a game should be.

100 GameSpy

Mixing classic gameplay with modern sensibilities and an inimitable art style, Viewtiful Joe is one of the hippest-looking, slickest-playing, and coolest-feeling games around.

100 Gaming Age

A stunning example of how creativity can blend seamlessly with gameplay without sacrificing one or the other. The top-notch gameplay coupled with out of this world superhero stunts is the freshest take on a classic side-scrolling action seen in years.

100 GamingWorld X

A rare gem. It somehow manages to capture the essence of what made classic beat ‘em ups like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage so enjoyable, while still delivering a lengthy and varied enough experience for today’s gamer. [import]

100 Into Liquid Sky

As great as the visual package is, the audio package delivers just as well. The voice acting does wonders with the well-written and witty script and the sound effects all feel just perfect.

100 Nintendo Power

Brilliantly innovative and packed with action. VJ may seem bizarre at first glance, but if you give it a chance, you will be amazed and delighted. The graphics are wild, the action is varied and fun and the game even has a sense of humor. [Nov 2003, p.149]

100 Play Magazine

Genius, pure genius... Everything needed to stir the soul of anesthetized gamers everywhere is in here. Just when you think you've seen it all, some designer somewhere in a corner of Japan hits the great-idea lotto and a genre is reborn. [Oct 2003, p.18]

97 Nintendojo

The new VFX system is something every gamer has been dreaming of and Capcom delivers with amazing detail and astoundingly smooth control. After only a year of waiting, Viewtiful Joe is not only everything you’ve been hoping for, it’s everything you didn't even know you should.

96 Console Gold

Everything here is amazingly responsive and easy to use. A is jump, X is kick, Y is punch, L is slow, R is speed, and the C-stick or B is zoom. It's all right at your fingertips and nothing requires a second thought.

96 Next Level Gaming

The game just takes you back in the days of the SNES and Sega Genesis. Viewtiful Joe features great graphics, kicking sounds, and just some of the greatest gameplay to come along in a very long time.

95 Game Informer

A rare gem that seamlessly blends new-age technologies with gameplay of yesteryear, Viewtiful Joe is a stylish brawler that innovates in every field and emerges as one of the most captivating and addictive GameCube titles to date. [Oct 2003, p.124]

95 IGN

If the intense challenge intimidates you, then good -- you could probably use a good ass kicking, anyway. I know I certainly did. Beating this game is a badge of honor to wear with pride, and you can bet that I'll be playing through Viewtiful Joe several more times to see if I'm still man enough to call myself a gamer.

95 Nintendophiles

It's caused everyone I've shown it to end up with a huge goofy smile on their face after only a few minutes play, has made them say "Wow! Did you see THAT!" on a number of occasions, made me genuinely laugh out loud more than once (try pressing Pause!) and has impressed me time and again with the level of ingenuity and style that Team Viewtiful have infused into the title. [import]

95 Planet GameCube

Aside from the addictive gameplay, the graphic style gives the game a fresh feel that doesn't look like every other cel-shaded game. Thick, heavy black lines and an overwhelming amount of pink seem to be the exact opposite of what you find in most hit titles, but it works for Joe because "Team Viewtiful" took time to make it work.

94 GameZone

The VFX powers are just plain cool and the game is consistently satisfying and challenging. The fact that this game has been green-lighted in a day and age where perfecting the intricacies of 3D rendering is the holy grail of most development teams is a good sign indeed.

92 GameSpot

Deftly delivers a fantastic cel-shaded look while also adding a really great series of unique gameplay twists that make it much, much better than the average side-scrolling action game.

91 Game Revolution

Games as stylistically compelling as Viewtiful Joe don’t come around often. Thankfully, it has the gameplay to back it up, so Gamecube owners with a taste for action should definitely pick it up. It might require superhuman gaming skills, but who said life as a hero was easy?

90 Armchair Empire

Talk about a game that’s firing on all cylinders, Viewtiful Joe is one high-octane ride.

90 EuroGamer

It's a timeless piece of quality gaming that, with the exception of its visual element, would probably work on any format, past or present.

90 GameCritics

It's an amalgamation of one-trick ponies (cel-shading, time bending, old school nostalgia tickling) to make a fulfilling, satisfying and jaw-dropping experience. Meet the new action game, better than the old action game.

87 Electronic Gaming Monthly

Joe's style is his substance. His story may amount to so much fluff, but the flimsy plot is only pretense for the near-perfect gameplay you'll find in this comic book come to life. [Nov 2003, p.192]

Archived