Hondo's Bar

Death From Above 1979

Death from Above 1979 were a Toronto based duo of Jesse F. Keeler on bass/synths and Sebastien Grainger on vocals/drums. Refusing to employ a lead guitarist, they played loud synth infused noise-funk, often referred to as dance punk, on the drum and bass combination alone. Originally named just "Death From Above", the duo changed their name after a legal dispute with New York City dance-funk label Death From Above (known as DFA Records since the September 11, 2001 attacks). 'Death from above' was written on a helicopter in the movie Apocalypse Now, which was copyrighted in 1979.

Death from Above 1979 had planned on recording the followup to its debut full-length You're A Woman, I'm A Machine. It planned to release it in three versions: the traditional bass/drums lineup, a full band lineup with musicians assembled by Grainger, and a remix album. The albums featuring a full band and remixes were supposedly to be released on the band's official website.

In 2005 the video for "Romantic Rights" won a VideoFACT award at the MuchMusic Video Music Awards.

On 4th August 2006 the band announced they had decided to split "almost a year ago" due to the strained relationship between the two - claiming they only talked during interviews and just before shows - as well as stating that with the record going gold in their native Canada they had achieved all their aims.

I think these are one of the most out there bands ive heard in a while, and having seen them live about a year and a half ago, i can most certainly say they have Easily one of the most energetic live act's ive seen in a long long time...

The album starts out with a song that i can only describe as being fuelled by steroids... The energy pace and vigour of it is outstanding... The album dips and bursts back again with energy driven bass riffs and frantic drumming, not to mention outstanding vocals...

How two people can create such a sound, i'm not sure, but i'll be damned if another band comes along in the near future that even comes close to these... Such a shame they're broken up really...

Anyone else ever hear of these?

Archived