Hondo's Bar

Xam'D: Lost Memories

Maldron

bg_table.jpg

Xam'D: Lost Memories is a new anime premiering only on the PSN ((Or illegally)) for absurd prices. The show itself, however, centers around a conflict between the north and south, a young man who becomes possessed with a power he doesn't even remotely understand, and those people that surround the true nature of that power in this world. It's a new show from the same people who brought us Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka 7, and if I was to be honest I would say this is one of the best shows I've seen this year. I'd rank it above Gurren Lagann - it's honestly that mix of mystery and action that makes for great Anime. In a lot of ways, it's similar to the way I felt watching Eureka 7, only without the whole romance subtext that turned off so many people from that show. It's the kind of show that, six episodes in, has answered so many of the initial questions while simultaneously creating new ones to replace them in a way that doesn't feel like I'm being robbed. Plus the way they animate everything is amazing, I can't help but be intoxicated by the art direction.

The show's central character is Akiyuki, a student who is forced into turning into a creature known as Xam'D against his will ((Pictured Above)) and who is rescued/subdued by Nakiami, one of those mysterious girls that men have to deal with in those situations. It's one of those cliche starts, but the way the show takes it feels refreshing.

Anyway. I've fallen in love with this one. I'm mostly throwing this out there to force Newtype into talking to me about it. Anybody else watching this? You probably should be.

• 2 weeks later...
bg_table.jpg

Xam'D: Lost Memories is a new anime premiering only on the PSN ((Or illegally)) for absurd prices. The show itself, however, centers around a conflict between the north and south, a young man who becomes possessed with a power he doesn't even remotely understand, and those people that surround the true nature of that power in this world. It's a new show from the same people who brought us Full Metal Alchemist and Eureka 7, and if I was to be honest I would say this is one of the best shows I've seen this year. I'd rank it above Gurren Lagann - it's honestly that mix of mystery and action that makes for great Anime. In a lot of ways, it's similar to the way I felt watching Eureka 7, only without the whole romance subtext that turned off so many people from that show. It's the kind of show that, six episodes in, has answered so many of the initial questions while simultaneously creating new ones to replace them in a way that doesn't feel like I'm being robbed. Plus the way they animate everything is amazing, I can't help but be intoxicated by the art direction.

The show's central character is Akiyuki, a student who is forced into turning into a creature known as Xam'D against his will ((Pictured Above)) and who is rescued/subdued by Nakiami, one of those mysterious girls that men have to deal with in those situations. It's one of those cliche starts, but the way the show takes it feels refreshing.

Anyway. I've fallen in love with this one. I'm mostly throwing this out there to force Newtype into talking to me about it. Anybody else watching this? You probably should be.

I agree with you on all points. I just can't wait to find out how

the girl can hear the voices of the

Xam'D and that creepy looking Tower.

Also his so called friend with the glasses is a total dick.

I agree with you on all points. I just can't wait to find out how

the girl can hear the voices of the

Xam'D and that creepy looking Tower.

Also his so called friend with the glasses is a total dick.

Seriously.

Throwing away years of friendship just because he was an unintended victim? Or because he unknowingly helped a terrorist aboard?

I understand having hard feelings, but total betrayal is a bit much. Can't wait to see where the new character takes things, he seems like a pimp.

The more I see of this, the more I'm enamored, and yet I remain aware of how totally generic the setup is on paper. I may be a hypocrite, but it's a testament to how nice something classic is when it's done well.

Oh,

and the death of the mother and child Xam'd in the face of that all-watching tower choked me up a bit. I really don't know why Haru is still in the military at this point, I hope she leaves soon. Or changes them from the inside.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh,

and the death of the mother and child Xam'd in the face of that all-watching tower choked me up a bit. I really don't know why Haru is still in the military at this point, I hope she leaves soon. Or changes them from the inside.

I agree. That bit was just wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived