Hondo's Bar

ESRB Calls DoA Paradise "Creepy"

Visitant

The Electronic Software Rating Board used some interesting language to describe the upcoming PSP title Dead or Alive Paradise, and has now had to explain the reasons behind it. It gave the game an M rating, but in the description used phrases like "creepy voyeurism," "cheesy," and "bizarre, misguided notions of what women really want." Ouch. It also stated, "Paradise cannot mean straddling felled tree trunks in dental-floss thongs."

Kotaku reports that the ESRB issued a statement to explain the descriptors. "The rating summary for Dead or Alive Paradise was posted to our website in error, and we have since replaced that version with the corrected one," said ESRB spokesman Eliot Mizrachi. "We recognize that the initial version improperly contained subjective language and that issue has been addressed." He went on to apologize for "what some could rightfully take to be subjective statements."

Tecmo Koei, for their part, unabashedly acknowledged the appeal of the games, saying the company "will not deny the fact that this title offers voyeuristic appeal," but rejecting the ESRB's more colorful statements. The company says it didn't contact the ESRB, so it must have taken action to change the statements on its own.

Now let's start with

"Paradise cannot mean straddling felled tree trunks in dental-floss thongs."
because if that isn't paradise I don't know what is. Now, i'll admit that I've played both beach volleyball games. I'm not proud of it and it was a pretty slow gaming season at that point. It's not like i'm pitching a tent to know that the new game is coming out. The heart of the issue here is really the ESRB.

I believe it's an outdated beast that need to be put down and something better put in it's place. Input?

Archived