Hondo's Bar

Run Ricky Run

Panch

Ricky Williams does not conform to America’s definition of the modern athlete. In 2004, with rumors of another positive marijuana test looming, the Miami Dolphins running back traded adulation and a mansion in South Florida for anonymity and a $7 a night tent in Australia. His decision created a media frenzy that dismantled his reputation and branded him as America's Pothead. But while most in the media thought Williams was ruining his life by leaving football, Ricky thought he was saving it. Through personal footage recorded with Williams during his time away from football and beyond, filmmaker Sean Pamphilon takes a fresh look at a player who had become a media punching bag and has since redeemed himself as a father and a teammate.

Some excerpts:

Obviously, being a Dolphins fan I was interested in watching this ESPN 30 for 30 documentary. Having seen the other Miami related one, The U (about the rise of the University of Miami football team and how the changed the college game), I was expecting something great, but boy was I mistaken... this documentary was AMAZING! My outlook on the man and the sports media was changed forever. Sports fan or not, this deserves to be checked out. It's truly mind blowing stuff.

Archived