Hondo's Bar

Topher Grace Star Wars Prequel Fan Edit of the Day

Topher Grace Star Wars Prequel Fan Edit of the Day

Last night, Topher Grace held a private showing of his own, personal fan-edit of the Star Wars prequel trilogy, called Star Wars: Episode III.5: The Editor Strikes Back, and word is that his single 85-minute film blew away George Lucas’s three-movie version.

Collider’s Steve “Frosty Weintraub” said “it really worked!” and Slashfilm’s Peter Sciretta called it, “Probably the best possible edit of the Star Wars prequels given the footage released and available.”

In the process of trimming seven hours of footage down to roughly an hour and a half, Grace decided remove most of Episode I, including every appearance of Jar Jar Binks (save for one non-speaking scene). General Grievous and the entire clone army were also left on the cutting room floor.

He started his version with the Darth Maul lightsaber duel, and focused the entire film on Anakin and Padme’s relationship, Obi-Wan’s quest to find out who is trying to kill the politicians, and a lot of the action (although lightsaber battles were cut where necessary).

To enhance the project, he brought in deleted scenes — including one where Anakin meets Padme’s family — and added some music from The Clone Wars.

Unfortunately for those of us who weren’t among the 50 guests invited to see it, Grace’s masterpiece is unlikely to make its way to the web due to copyright issues, and even a showing in a public venue would require Lucas’s approval.

If true, I would love to see this.

This needed its own thread, Ly? *sigh*

Um, glad this guy is finding something to do since his acting career went to hell. I thought Topher was hilarious on That 70s Show, and I don't think he was the reason Venom sucked in Raimi's Spidey 3. Kinda sad this "really awesome" re-edit no one will likely ever see is the only thing he's up to these days. :???:

This needed its own thread, Ly? *sigh*

Maybe I felt it did. That's all that really matters.

Um, glad this guy is finding something to do since his acting career went to hell. I thought Topher was hilarious on That 70s Show, and I don't think he was the reason Venom sucked in Raimi's Spidey 3. Kinda sad this "really awesome" re-edit no one will likely ever see is the only thing he's up to these days. :???:

All that we know of, anyway. Why the negativity?

You gotta think how many Star Wars nerds there are, and how much money a lot of them have. Plus how many other people would love to just fuck over Lucas just because. I am sure by now he has multiple contacts to buy a copy (under the table of course he can't profit from it) or people just asking him to release it. There are so many ways he could get it out and stil have plausible deniablitity.

I imagine that could burn a lot of bridges for him, though. If he wants to have a job in another movie again, it would be a bad idea. I'm sure that people in Hollywood wouldn't be heartbroken if Lucas got screwed over, but actually making money off of a copyrighted material? Just the suspicion could kill his career.

Archived