Hondo's Bar

The Magdelene Sisters

A couple of words to describe this film, which won the Golden Lion at Last Years Venice Film Festival, and they are, fucking brutal catholic nun witches.

Basically its the story of four girls, set in the 1960s in Ireland, when the Catholic church due to the Constitution of the State was more powerful in many respects than law enforcement. An example of this is when Margaret (think thats her name) gets raped by her cousin (No Inbreed Jokes) and then gets carted of to an "Asylum" ran by a sect of nuns called the Magdelene Sisters, and they beat them physically, and mentally abuse of serious scales. Some of the scenes in this film are pretty disturbing, and i would recommend this to any one. Its a great film, made well on a low budget. But according to the surviving characters, the nuns weren't harsh enough!

Get this now, and be appaled by the way the church used to manipulate peoples lives, particularly the evolution of Ireland as a nation, hell we only legalized divorce in the 90s! Thankfully it now like that!

Saw this at my local indie cinema. It is a true story about Catholic women in Ireland (I think 1930's or so but can't really remember) who if considered impure, e.g. childbirth before marriage, getting themselves raped, were sent to a sort of prison run by nuns, made to do slave labour and generally demeaned.

Very depressing movie but amazingly acted. It follows round 4 main women but is a story of the whole Magdelene institution. It features the most horrific haircut scene ever (more blood than hair!) and is shocking to believe something like this really happened. In many ways it is a triumphant movie with the women trying their best to escape, but it is also a deeply sad movie with women being seperated from their babies just after childbirth and sent to the prison until their families wished fro them back.

If you thought Sister Act was an accurate portrayal of nuns I wouldn't recommend this, it'll scar you forever. Not sure if it'll get a wide release but keep a look out.

It did have its own topic, page 2 of this film area. I'm confused :D

I thought it was a pretty good film in all, very funny in places and kinda horrifying in others.

Oh right, i never look past the first page. :D

I watched this with my girlfriend, she picked it!! And she was gagging at some places and crying at others, i must admit it was horrific, but what got me was the last scene with the woman in the nut house, tahat gave me goosebumps, mad how the church got away with it for so long!!

It predictably got a lot of criticism from the church in general this film, which means its good in my book!!