Hondo's Bar

Grappler Baki

Sango

Well, I went to rent some videos today and since I watch to much of the stuff its rare that I find sumin' I haven't seen... Anywayz I've heard that Grappler Baki is like action or sumin' so here's the point...does anyone know what the story is about and if its good??  :approve:

Alright I finally saw Grappler Baki and well it rocked....I had heard about it from a friend a long time ago and stuff but I never could get to watching it...So yeah I finally did it was pretty good althought the subtitles sucked....I don't want to spoil the story lets just say its about a 13 year old boy that looks nothing like a 13 year old that wants to become stronger than his father and he under goes intense training...Not only that he does some messed up crap that is so out of the ordinary extrems but it totally rocks....If you want to know more or want to know where you can get your hands on it to watch just post.... :D

• 3 years later...

Grappler Baki (Grappler being the closest translation they can come up with when talking about a generic fighting style involving holds, throws, strikes and breaks, I'm not sure I don't speak japanese) is one of the more interesting stories when it comes to anime released here in the US. I saw it about eight years ago when it was released as a single OVA (short straight to video movie). I found out some years later that what was released were just two episodes of an animated TV series that was later released here by yet another company, now I have learned that there is live action versions of the series. All of this was adapted from its original manga (comic) form. This kind of title run-around is rare but not unheard of in the anime world. Keeping up so far? Anyway, with partial releases, re-releases, company bankrupcies, licensing deals expireing or being traded to another company, and things like one company buying the license to release specific titles here in the US and only translating one part and holding off doing the rest of the series for years, it's kind of hard to keep track when a title gets bounced around. Frustrating isn't it? I'm still trying to find the rest of the original Orguss series, Streamline Pictures by Orion home video only released the first eight before going under in the early 90s.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, seeing as I use the title character as my avatar on here, I gotta say something. I own the collector's edition, which is good , clean ass- kicking fun, The main character, Baki Hanma (Hanma Baki to you purists) is a thirteen and later fifteen year old boy in the series, whose father is like Akuma on fucking steroids. Yujiro, as the psycho is known, is undisputedly the world's greatest fighter, and wants his son to surpass him to even be worthy of the Hanma name. Baki grows up privileged in the sense that he's given all the best equipment and trainers by his wealthy mother, who has a decidedly unhealthy crush on his uncaring, absentee father, who basically shows up to put his foot through something and be on his merry way. The series progresses with Baki struggling against tougher and tougher opponents, through all different styles of martial arts, and training to an insane level where most people would shake their head and say, "That's white boy shit, man". I'll leave it at that for those who want to watch it. The show flows nicely, most fights or fight arcs taking up two episodes at most, with no ten-minute "charge-ups" of moves with characters looking constipated(these are instead brief moments of focusing one's self). So it's there, just not nearly enough or constant to get irritating. The martial art styles are of course bullshitted up a bit, but duh guys, its anime. It's a really good fight anime with some endearing characters, and yes the story is not too deep, but hey, odds are you're watching it to see people get their shit kicked in. If you go for that, I highly recommend it.