Hondo's Bar

A Perfect Circle: The Thirteenth Step

JunkerSeed

Wow... this is one hell of a fuckin cd. I loved mer de noms and this is right up there with it. A Perfect Circle is an amazing band. To call them a side project just doesn't do them justice. They're one of the few truly great bands around right now. Now, what i didn't expect from this cd was for it to be completely different from their debut. It's still very much the same band (but not, because the lineup changed as they recorded it.... but Maynard and Billy howardal wrote everything anyway so it's not big a difference) but the whole feel of the album is completely different. There are probably 3 or so harder songs on this album, as opposed to mer de noms, which was a pretty heavy cd. Thirteenth Step is full of softer songs, but really really textured songs. I'm talking The Wall kinda of textured. This album should come with a pair of badass headphones, cause that's the way you should listen to it. Oh, and oddly enough, the single on the radio is probably the least accesible song on there. I have no clue why it's the single. If you want to try out any songs from it I suggest "The Noose", "Gravity", or "Blue" out of the softer songs and "Pet" or the seven minute "The Package" for harder stuff.

This stuff is just awesome though, it's complex as hell, but on teh first listen I was just blown away.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the CD a few days ago. Great stuff. I prefer harder stuff in general to softer stuff, so the CD wasn't as good for me as Mer De Noms was, and it wasn't anyway near Aenema or Lateralus, but it's good stuff nonetheless. 'Pet' and 'The Package' are my two favorite tracks right now. Reminded me of soem softer Tool at times. Good stuff. James Keenan Maynard, not Trent Reznor, will always be my #1 man for darker subversive music.

Archived